Champ PH500XL Efficiency

I was planning on ordering some of these filters, I was wondering if anybody has found out the actual efficiency of the filter? I see where it's been asked here before.. I also see where people emailed first brand.
I was wondering how is this filter for retaining oil, so you don't get dry starts after it sits for a few days..

Thank you..

Yeah I seen that when I did a search, but it doesn't necessarily mean all of them are the same..
Really, what Oil Filter are you looking at for your car? I think that all of Champs Oil Filters will have the same Efficiency Rating, meaning Micron Rating. Is this a Cartridge or a Canister Type Oil Filter? How long is your OCI and what oil are you using now?

The one listed in the title PH500XL, I know Purolator has different efficiency ratings on different filters if I am not mistaken.. that's why I thought, all of them did..
I'm currently using Mobil 1 5W20, Next oil change I will probably be using, the Kirkland synthetic 5W20, I have several cases sitting in my garage since last year.. I run about every 6 to 8 months 3-4K

The one listed in the title PH500XL, I know Purolator has different efficiency ratings on different filters if I am not mistaken.. that's why I thought, all of them did..
I'm currently using Mobil 1 5W20, Next oil change I will probably be using, the Kirkland synthetic 5W20, I have several cases sitting in my garage since last year.. I run about every 6 to 8 months 3-4K

I do not think nor have I read that Purolator has different efficiency ratings for there oil filters. Now, dirt holding capacity for a particular oil filter from Purolator may be a different story.

I highly doubt Purolator/M+H has actually ran an ISO 4548-12 test on every oil filter model they make. The man-hours and cost would be crazy high. They most likely have a computer performance model based on some actual ISO testing of a few models that they did, then apply the computer model to each filter knowing it's physical design, and come up with an efficiency number that's dependent on the physical attributes that can impact the efficiency, like the type of media used and the total media area.

I highly doubt Purolator/M+H has actually ran an ISO 4548-12 test on every oil filter model they make. The man-hours and cost would be crazy high. They most likely have a computer performance model based on some actual ISO testing of a few models that they did, then apply the computer model to each filter knowing it's physical design, and come up with an efficiency number that's dependent on the physical attributes that can impact the efficiency, like the type of media used and the total media area.
Zee0Six, what you said is what I wanted to say, you said it better, because what I would have said would have not sounded as good as what you posted.

You would think you would hear a lot more members on here recommending them since they are the same micron rating as Pure One and Fram ultra.🤷🏻‍♂️

You would think you would hear a lot more members on here recommending them since they are the same micron rating as Pure One and Fram ultra.🤷🏻‍♂️
I’ll say this. The Pure One and new version of the FRAM Ultra have been showing poor construction in the dissections here. The Champ XL filters have shown much better construction and quality control.

I’ll say this. The Pure One and new version of the FRAM Ultra have been showing poor construction in the dissections here. The Champ XL filters have shown much better construction and quality control.
I have cut open a couple Champ XL filters, from my neighbors car and it has been consistent.. I also bought a PH 500XL a while ago I put pictures up here, and that was consistent as well with the Nissan Rogue filter of my neighbors, that I cut open.. I bought several tonight. $5.50 a piece including shipping..

You can say the same thing about Fram too then w/the whole "Equivalent" wording right?

I was at orielys today this morning and checking the filters out while getting some windshield fluid. I opened an Wix 51516XP and to my surprise inside the louvers i saw brown cellouse media and no wire backing. Made in USA with a Mann Hummel label on the back. If ya thought Fram is cheapening pretty bad. Its far worse on the Wix XP i saw today a 15.99 filter.

I was at orielys today this morning and checking the filters out while getting some windshield fluid. I opened an Wix 51516XP and to my surprise inside the louvers i saw brown cellouse media and no wire backing. Made in USA with a Mann Hummel label on the back. If ya thought Fram is cheapening pretty bad. Its far worse on the Wix XP i saw today a 15.99 filter.
I wouldn't doubt they try to pull a fast one, how many people, out there actually cut open oil filters.. They will save quite a bit of money on the manufacturing cost.. poor ethics though..

Some members do bring them up, but they are much harder to find to buy. If Walmart for instance carried them, more people would be buying them IMO.

You can say the same thing about Fram too then w/the whole "Equivalent" wording right?
They at least reference 3 different sized filters in their efficiency statement that have had an actual ISO 4548-12 test done on them - and it's the size (ie, the media area) that would impact efficiency the most with other factors being constant. We've been over that many times already, but doesn't seem to register. 😄 ;)

I was a loyal wix user for years, until I got a air filter like 2 years ago - made in Spain, not USA. No metal screen. Cost much more than before. Last M&H product purchased, or I will ever purchase. I would roll my own before I buy anything from them again.

I wouldn't doubt they try to pull a fast one, how many people, out there actually cut open oil filters.. They will save quite a bit of money on the manufacturing cost.. poor ethics though..
I ended up grabbing a Microgard Select MSL51516 there instead for cut and post thread. The difference in quality was a night and day difference and decided against cutting it open haha.

You know when chinese and vietnam made filters are doing quality control much better than us is quite telling on the future of our country's manufacturing.

If i stop by there again. I will sure get pics of that Wix XP internals

20240306_172322.jpg

20240306_172331.jpg

20240306_172342.jpg

20240306_172426.jpg

I keep meaning to get one of them Chinese or Vietnam made filters but I have not yet. I don't have an O'Reilly's around here. I know AutoZone has STP XL which is made in Vietnam I believe. One of these days I'll pick one up. I also believe Advance has Carquest red that is an import filter..

They at least reference 3 different sized filters in their efficiency statement that have had an actual ISO 4548-12 test done on them - and it's the size (ie, the media area) that would impact efficiency the most with other factors being constant. We've been over that many times already, but doesn't seem to register. 😄 ;)
That sounds like Fram doesn't ISO test all of their filters either.. That's my point.

Back