Can you trade in 2 cars for new vehicle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: pandus13
I agree. I just don't want tire kickers from Craigslist offering me $200 and wasting my time...

Maybe sell it on BITOG...?

May I suggest one of the new techs or some down on money nurse?

????

Maybe he means trade the car for repair work or medical advice from the nurse???

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: pandus13
I agree. I just don't want tire kickers from Craigslist offering me $200 and wasting my time...

May I suggest one of the new techs or some down on money nurse?

????

Maybe he means trade the car for repair work or medical advice from the nurse???

Took me a few tries but he means sell it to a young person just starting their career as a car repairer or sell it to a financially deficient nurse. Not sure how those two are connected.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Took me a few tries but he means sell it to a young person just starting their career as a car repairer or sell it to a financially deficient nurse. Not sure how those two are connected.

OP posts job openings where he works which are for electronics techs that repair/maintain some of the large machines in hospitals and clinics. OP is in the same line of work and routinely talks to nurses.

I got a free Crown Vic since the blue book value was $400, and the dealer didn't want it. It's my second favorite car I've ever owned, and I didn't even pay for it! Thanks, in-law grandparents!

You can do multiple trades, especially if you just want to get rid of two paid-off cars.

Had a guy try to trade a 4mo old F250 and a 6mo old Corvette Gran Sport.

Dude was so tanked with negative equity we couldn't get him out. Tried to sell him a $105k MSRP car at invoice but the bank wouldn't float the loan - he still needed like 140% or something ridiculous.

Yeah but the more complicated you make it the more the dealer wins. It would be a cinch for them to give you $1000 each and bury the cost in the new pricing.

I would bring your specimens to a buy-here-pay-here lot to see if you'll get $500 cash for each. Saves them the hassle of trucking clunkers back from auction.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Dealer will give you close to nothing. He'll take money out of the margin on the new vehicle (plus incentives and part of holdback) and pretend he's giving you 2000 bucks when he's giving you 200 bucks.

That is why you should always establish the sale price of the vehicle (with all discounts and rebates) before discussing any trade ins.

Leave trade ins out of negotiations and then come to final price everyone happy with. Then ask about trade(s) to see what is offered. Annoys them but gives real numbers.

I think give selling yourself a time limit and don’t overprice you may be surprised.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
No disrespect intended typically if a car had 200K or more miles on it they'd pay scrap value

Bottom line: Yes, you can

Is it wise? Not even a little bit

You'll take a gigantic hit financially.

Sell them privately and pocket the cash.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I found some dealers on cargurus.com way up in north Texas that gave me much more for my trade than the Austin dealers.

I ended up trading a 2011 Rav4 sport with 100k miles almost even for a 2011 Sonata with 20k miles.

With respect to used car market You gave a highly desired vehicle (compact SUV, Toyota) for low desire vehicle(Hyundai, sedan.....).

New car dealer here has two cars at the 200k mark selling for $3000. One an 04 Camry and the other an 05 Grand Prix.

The Toyota dealer where I bought both my Toyotas explained that there is no such thing as a trade-in really, the dealer (if they wish to do so) would make a wholesale offer for my existing vehicle. They also explained that I could likely get more money if I sold it as a private sale. So yes, if the dealer wishes to make you a wholesale offer on both vehicles they may do so.

That dealer also wouldn't discuss any offer for my vehicles (actually I had two as well) until we had determined a purchase price for the new one. Once that was settled they then made offers for the cars. Realize it is going to be a relatively low offer since the dealer is usually purchasing it only on the knowledge you drove it in that day. They typically do not make a mechanical assessment unless it is a particularly valuable vehicle.

As a side note, I got a call from the salesman a few days after we purchased the ECHO asking about one of my old vehicles, wanting to know if I'd honestly tell him if there was anything major wrong with the car. He wanted to buy it back from the dealer for his daughter.

The key to sales is to know what it's really worth. I've sold a few things on Craigslist and never really had tire kickers. I make it pretty clear that it's first come first serve, I don't hold it for anyone. If you price it right, it just sells at the asking price, not a lot of negotiating to be done. It should be sold in the first few days. Nadaguide.com is also a good site, don't expect to get retail and ask for something between rough and clean trade in and it'll sell right away.

Don't put your phone number in the ad and don't reply to any emails you don't like. Pick your buyer. My cars are always clean so the first person that looks has always bought.

You can also try selling at work, there are always people looking for a cheap car for the kids or to commute in.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Up here a 200k car will fetch about $500 at a dealer. I got $1700 for a 250k vehicle selling it outright on Craigslist.

That's what I'll probably do and will end up on CL.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Dealer will give you close to nothing. He'll take money out of the margin on the new vehicle (plus incentives and part of holdback) and pretend he's giving you 2000 bucks when he's giving you 200 bucks.

That is why you should always establish the sale price of the vehicle (with all discounts and rebates) before discussing any trade ins.

Always!
thumbsup2.gif

Mr. Nice-Let us knows how it goes. The issue is that cars that cheap bring very "unique" people around.

I'd trade them in. But that's just me.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I was going to say, tire kickers offering $200 is better than the $50-$100 a dealer is going to offer for any 200K car.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

For that kind of money I'd junk it. The last thing I'd want to do is have a tire kicker calling back crying after the $200 sale that he has a problem with the car. Even after spelling it out and having him sign off that the car was "sold as is for repairs." I'd want more skin in the game for that hassle.

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back