Can you drain the motor oil by removing the oil filter only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I saw that question on another forum and never thought about it but now I got curious. I do not change the oil of my car myself so have no true idea if this is possible. What do you think? Is it possible to drain all the oil by simply removing the oil filter and will all the oil come out?

Only if the car was running
lol.gif

I would imagine you could in some cases if the filter sat lower on the engine than the drain plug. Otherwise no.

Only if the filters on the bottom of your pan..... otherwise you're just gonna make a big ol' mess!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I would have to say it would NOT work with my top mounted oil filter...!!!

I have yet to own a vehicle that someone would be able to pull it off. Even a few vehicles that had the filter mounted vertically next to the oil pan.

Well, on my truck it's one quart … or 1/8 … what site was that ?

There are two methods (3 really) that will accomplish draining motor oil from an engine.

1. Remove the plug or filter at the lowest point in the closed system.
2. Use a vacuum pump and hose type system.
3. Start the engine with the filter off and look out!!!!

Originally Posted by Kestas
I haven't met a car yet where you could do that.

Aircooled Volkswagen
lol.gif

The oil strainer screen is behind the drain plug

When I was a teen, I drained my oil but couldn't remove the oil filter. After buying a better tool, (a really big screwdriver) I thought the oil would drain after I removed the filter so I pulled the drain plug to avoid making a mess. Now I know but I didn't know back then.

Don't even have to do 3) … just forget to check if the old filter left the gasket behind … 🤯

I've changed my oil change regimen to removing the oil filter first then do the drain plug. It avoids the splash from dropping a hot filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back