Burnt oil smell since I overfilled my car

Hi,

I own a 2015 Dodge Durango RT with 5.7 HEMI engine.

Two weeks ago, I decided to change the oil for the first time since I own this car (I bought it in may with 60'000 km and now it has 70'000 km).

I used a kn 2010 filter and some 5W20 synthetic oil.

As the manual says, I first poured 6,6 litres / 7 quarts of oil. Then I started the engine some minutes, stopped it, wait some minutes and checked level of oil : min mark on the dipstick on a flat surface.

I decided to add more oil until I reach the max mark on the dipstick, and at the end, I poured a total of 7,4 litres / 7,8 quarts for be exactly on the max...

The next day, I started to notice a burnt oil / rubber smell that was coming into the cabin when I was stopped with the engine on (red light, arriving in my garage, etc). The smell was also present from outside the car, coming from engine compartment.

I checked everything, but no evidence of leak. Oil filter and drain plug weren't leaking, no leak around engine, nothing seemed wrong...

After some research, I found that there was a TSB for 2014-2015 Durango with 5.7 engine because the dipstick is too short... The TSB (I attached it for info) says that if the dipstick number doesn't end by AD, it's the wrong one. And of course mine ends by AC... It explains why I had to put almost 8 quarts in my engine...

Now, I drained 0,6 litres / 0,65 quarts of my engine with a little pump. It means I still have about 6,8 litres / 7,15 quarts, so still a few more than recommended but such a small overfill shouldn't be problematic, and I didn't want to drain more as I also don't know the exact capacity of the KN filter and as my dipstick isn't working, I'm a bit blind for see if I have enough oil or not...

I drove about 150 km since I removed the oil excess and even if the burnt smell is less frequent and less intense (I don't smell it anymore in red lights or stops) it's still noticeable typically when I arrive and stop in a closed space like my garage...

My questions are :

- Will the smell eventually go away?

- As I drove 10 days / 560km before removing the oil excess, could this have damaged my engine?

- When I removed the oil excess, I noticed that, after only 560 km, my oil was already black and smelling burnt. Is it due to my overfill incident? Should I change already the oil?

Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas 🎄

Last edited:
Extra oil shouldn't hurt anything unless it's getting frothed by the crankshaft.

I don't know what to think about the dark oil, maybe it's cleaning something off of a windage tray

To prevent this from happening again it's not a good idea to put more oil inside the crankcase than what the manual says. I'd say dump another 0.20 liters and keep running it.

The problem is without the correct dipstick, I don't know how much I really have. I ordered the AD dipstick but it will take time to arrive.

The oil quantity can slightly very depending of oil filter. As I have A KN filter and not a Mopar, I'm not sure if the 0,2 extra liters I have are necessary. My actual dipstick show me "add" low level which is scary, so I prefer to not remove more yet..

We really checked everywhere and we don't see any leak, plus there wasn't any smell before this oil change. How an oil change could create a leak (excepted filter / drain plug which aren't leaking in my case)?

Next time I'd use a filter close to stock size, fill w 7 qts and engrave the dipstick. But you've got a new one coming, so that'll work too.

If you spilled any oil on the engine it's surprising how long it can stink. Beyond that I'm also no help.

How does this car have the wrong dipstick? just curious
Good question, but seems it was common on Durango and Grand Cherokee from 2014 to 2015. Probably a factory problem...

I see now that the TSB didn't attach to my first post because pdf aren't allowed. Don't know if I can put a link so I'll insert as pictures...

Probably in the US it was automatically changed by the dealer in the first oil change, but here in Europe Dodge isn't represented, so nobody knows a f... about until the car starts to smoke... I wonder how did the previous owner BTW.

I also thought about the possibility that I spilled some oil during my oil change but honnestly, I now drove almost 3 weeks and 700 km since the oil change... Can spilled oil still smell after such a long time?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231225-095722.jpg
    Screenshot_20231225-095722.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20231225-095729.jpg
    Screenshot_20231225-095729.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 13
The problem is without the correct dipstick, I don't know how much I really have. I ordered the AD dipstick but it will take time to arrive.

The oil quantity can slightly very depending of oil filter. As I have A KN filter and not a Mopar, I'm not sure if the 0,2 extra liters I have are necessary. My actual dipstick show me "add" low level which is scary, so I prefer to not remove more yet..

We really checked everywhere and we don't see any leak, plus there wasn't any smell before this oil change. How an oil change could create a leak (excepted filter / drain plug which aren't leaking in my case)?
Dipsticks are commonly inaccurate from day one.. By dumping in the correct amount of oil when you changed the oil, I would have scribed a mark on the dipstick after sitting overnight allowing the oil settle, to represent the actual full mark.

I would look and make sure the PCV valve in place and working as well as the breather filter or hose is connected.

I would not have used a filter being of a different size from OEM.

Last edited:

new oil can remove deposits that plugged a leak, but in your case I'd be checking pcv hoses

Many people that don’t have automotive knowledge often drive around with 1/2-1 Qt overfilled. I’m not saying you don’t have the knowledge you were simply following the dipstick reading so have you damaged anything most likely no. Smell would be oil got on a surface and is cooking off if there’s no leaks and the smell isn’t going away check the pcv system. Using the OE filter or aftermarket equivalent in size is my preferred choice it takes variables out of the equation, And there’s no significant value in using a larger filter. I trust in the owners manual or an oil site which will tell you fill quantity with & without a filter change. My suggestion would be measure what you drained out 1st before keep adding to satisfy a dipstick reading.

But that’s interesting info on the dipstick being of the incorrect length.

@MattPersman are there any areas on the Hemis that could start to leak oil and drip onto something like exhaust, but are difficult to see?

I'm kinda thinking along the lines of how 3.6 oil coolers eventually drip down the back of the motor and are mistaken for rear main leaks, except in this case it drips to a surface where it burns off??

@MattPersman are there any areas on the Hemis that could start to leak oil and drip onto something like exhaust, but are difficult to see?

I'm kinda thinking along the lines of how 3.6 oil coolers eventually drip down the back of the motor and are mistaken for rear main leaks, except in this case it drips to a surface where it burns off??

Oil pan gaskets are the most common on these. Valve covers obviously could leak too and that would go right on the manifold and not necessarily hit the ground or be easily visible

Me I like to just drain the oil. Put the proper filter on. And put the prescribed amount of oil in. Don’t really need the dipstick until oil checks down the road. Nice to reference at the time but 7 is 7

The manual tells you how much oil to put in. Your larger filter is only going to retain an additional 4 ounces.

Back