Buying HD truck

Regardless of brand they're all big money truck these days.

I'm biased to towards the Ram as I own a 2012 2500 w/6.7 Cummins & had a 2004 5.9L before that.

My only disappointment is the rust around the rear wheel wells starting lately, otherwise they are great trucks.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by skyactiv
The expenses to get into the business may interest some of you guys: https://www.ltlrig.com/hotshot/hotshot-start-up-costs

For the hours worked, stress, aggravations and liabilities..... it's better just to have a regular M - F job.

Yeah, there's potentially less stress, aggravation, liability, etc working some M-F job for someone else.

There's also the possibility that he'll work really hard (and he'll have to), gain a good reputation, maybe be so busy he'll hire some employees, become a great success, and retire early.

Last edited:
02SE,

I agree with your views because you are / were a successful business owner, I also own a small business.

But there is no denying that freight rates are at rock bottom prices and everyone from Hotshot , flat bed to OTR 18 wheeler truckers are hurting right now.

JB Hunt is offering loads paying under $1 per mile.... YES, it's that bad out there.

Nobody said it would be easy. Nevertheless, the opportunity is there for those willing to work for it.

Good luck, OP.

I considered HOTSHOT trucking as well at one time but, like everyone said, it is difficult and hard to make money - atleast easy money. I am doing better with my repair shop.

Few things not mentioned
If your GVWR is under 26k lb you do not need a CDL. You can hotshot successfully with out it.
Get a ram 3500 crew diesel with the Asian trans single wheel long bed.
Or a Ford f350
40 foot straight deck gooseneck trailer.
But the most important thing is get a price quote for insurance it could be as much as 25k a year depending where you are.

Rohan,

If you get a chance, watch a few videos on YouTube from ‘Truckers Coach'

Wait till economy picks back up, manufacturing / construction and rates increase.

Some folks think that driving any pickup with a trailer excludes them from a CDL but the vehicle, trailer, or combination can determine license requirements.

Any trailer over 10k GVWR requires a CDL regardless of what you re pulling it with. A 10k trailer is not very large.

Originally Posted by tom slick
Some folks think that driving any pickup with a trailer excludes them from a CDL but the vehicle, trailer, or combination can determine license requirements.

Any trailer over 10k GVWR requires a CDL regardless of what you re pulling it with. A 10k trailer is not very large.

No, only for class A vehicles:

CLASS A - Applies only to "combination" vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) more than 26,000 pounds, and the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds. A driver with a Class A CDL (plus any appropriate endorsements) can also operate all vehicles included in Class B, C, and D (below)

CLASS B - Includes single or combination vehicles where the GVWR of the single vehicle is more than 26,000 pounds. The vehicle being pulled must not be more than 10,000 pounds. A driver with an California Class B CDL (plus appropriate endorsements) can also legally operate all vehicles in Class C or D.

For an example our F150 (GVWR 8200 LBS) pulling its max rating (we have the max tow package) of 11,300 LBS is well under the 26,000 LBS requirement. Even stepping up to an F350 11,000 lbs GVWR towing its max of 12,500 lbs is under 26,000 lbs.

Many states also have an RV exemption.

Back