What base model 4x4 truck would you buy?

I still have it but it doesn’t run. It hasn’t started in about a year. Even if it did the suspension is so corroded I wouldn’t trust it to carry anything of value.
that sucks.

I stand by my previous suggestion, but if I were going to get a new truck today, it would be a toyota tacoma, without mosgt of the BS

Is a 3/4 ton out of the picture for some reason? I didn’t thoroughly read, but seems like it’d fit the bill and they’re usually cheaper than 1/2 tons now.

Just because Ford, Chevy, and the other companies tell you your 1/2 ton (or less - looking at you Ranger and Tacoma gang) truck is rated for 7500 or 11000 doesn't mean you should.
I never understood this mentality. So you're the guy who buys a F350 diesel dually to tow a 1500lb boat?

1/2 ton trucks rated to tow 7500 can easily tow that, but like anything else the driver has to be mindful of the weight. Too many people want to hook a 10,000lb trailer to a truck and do 85 mph down the highway. Now if we are talking about comfort, and you are towing a large camper all over the country, yeah a bigger truck makes that easier, but saying a truck shouldn't tow what it is rated for is incorrect. If you saw what people tow in Europe with BMW and Volvo station wagons you would be mind blown.

I never understood this mentality. So you're the guy who buys a F350 diesel dually to tow a 1500lb boat?

1/2 ton trucks rated to tow 7500 can easily tow that, but like anything else the driver has to be mindful of the weight. Too many people want to hook a 10,000lb trailer to a truck and do 85 mph down the highway. Now if we are talking about comfort, and you are towing a large camper all over the country, yeah a bigger truck makes that easier, but saying a truck shouldn't tow what it is rated for is incorrect. If you saw what people tow in Europe with BMW and Volvo station wagons you would be mind blown.
No. I would have no problem towing a 1500 lb boat with a Maverick or even a CRV or maybe even an Accord. I have no problem towing a 5000 lb load with my 2.7

I would have no problem towing 7500 lbs with a 3.5 EB or a 5.0 F150 as almost all trucks equipped with those 2 engines or motors (your preference on terminology) can do that safely. I might not even have a problem towing 10k regularly with a properly set up 3.5 eco or a 5.0 Ford 1/2 ton.

The problem is payload. I have an F150 with a 2.7
It's a 2018 Super Crew 4X4 XLT with a 3.55 rear end. Guess what my payload is? Just guess. I'll give you a hint - my truck will not tow what the SS below (which is some yummy Ford advertising) safely. And Ford would tell you that too if you asked them.

C'mon - we all like internet games. If you get within 50 lbs I'll let you tell me what I can safely tow with my F150 then we will both see if we can use math to see if you are right. You should be able to get within 50 'cause internets has lots of information.

1698783143717.jpg

I have a 2.7 - I wouldn't tow a travel trailer period unless it was some little short 4000 lb job that's going to end up 6000 loaded. Even on a 'stripped down' 2.7 with a decent payload (which I admittedly do not have, it's a heavy pig with 3.55's).
I'll play.

A fully loaded Lariat 3.5EB is just short of 1700# and that 2.7 can't be much lighter than a 3.5 if any at all, so I'll go with 1690# of payload.

1698785622161.jpg

• 2020 F150, 3.5L Ecoboost, 4x4, Lead Foot Gray
  • Lariat Special Edition
  • 502A Package
  • Max Tow
  • Moonroof
  • Technology Package

I like ya Bob. You got game. You're over by over a hundred. @ctechbob

Your max tow package got you a much beefier frame. Some 2018's without max tow did get max tow frames due to shortage, but mine was not one of them.

I like ya Bob. You got game. You're over by over a hundred. @ctechbob

Your max tow package got you a much beefier frame. Some 2018's without max tow did get max tow frames due to shortage, but mine was not one of them.
That's probably one of the heaviest 150's I've heard of then. For reference, my Ranger is 1711#'s. But it is only a 2wd, the 4x4's take a hundred pound hit or so.

I'll play.

A fully loaded Lariat 3.5EB is just short of 1700# and that 2.7 can't be much lighter than a 3.5 if any at all, so I'll go with 1690# of payload.

View attachment 186132
  • 2020 F150, 3.5L Ecoboost, 4x4, Lead Foot Gray
  • Lariat Special Edition
  • 502A Package
  • Max Tow
  • Moonroof
  • Technology Package
My 2020 is Leadfoot Gray too.
Super Cab STX
2.7 Ecoboost
275/55/20 113H XL rated tires
3.55 rear end
I don’t know the maximum load numbers off hand.
It did come with a tow package, including the brake switch.

Attachments

• 4378A5DA-36E7-4270-80E5-17B4DCAED6F0.jpeg
    4378A5DA-36E7-4270-80E5-17B4DCAED6F0.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 6
My 2020 is Leadfoot Gray too.
Super Cab STX
2.7 Ecoboost
275/55/20 113H XL rated tires
3.55 rear end
I don’t know the maximum load numbers off hand.
It did come with a tow package, including the brake switch.
Your payload number will be on the sticker in the door jam, looks like this:

1698796652076.jpg

You can look further into it by seeing all of the axle ratings that are on the sticker right next to it:

1698796706879.jpg

If you subtract the Payload from the GVWR on the sticker you will get an idea of what your truck weighed when it rolled off the assembly line.

1267 lbs. Me and my fishing buddy eat up almost 500 between us, so yeah - I am not towing 7500 with mine unless it's a quick and short from point A to point B and I'm being stupid cautious.

It's ridiculously heavy and the 2.7, while a little mighty mouse, really eats into heavy towing capacity. I wasn't the original owner, but he was obviously a lot like me. He wanted everything a higher package includes except leather. A Lariat would have been cheaper and better equipped to tow - I think most of them did get the beefy frames. I only bought this one because my kid wrecked my other 2018 and this was a time when trucks were sitting on the lot for hours rather than days. I did get a good deal, but I knew that it wouldn't be a truck I'd want to tow a camper with, and I would really like to have a little camper. Plan was to keep it til the end of the acoughalypse and trade it in. With interest rates being what they are, I'm just going to drive it into the ground and buy another one in (hopefully) 10 years or so.

I have towed with it, I think I mentioned earlier or I may not that this truck pulls a full boat (22 foot pontoon) out of the water and up the ramp and I don't have to get on it at all, smooth as silk.

Most people that tow know that it doesn't have squat to do with how much it can possibly drag down the highway. I bet I could get 20k rolling in my truck. Could I control it or stop it in a timely manner or not kill myself or 20 other people on the road attempting it? Not likely

1698802267105.jpg
1698802317042.jpg

1267 lbs. Me and my fishing buddy eat up almost 500 between us, so yeah - I am not towing 7500 with mine unless it's a quick and short from point A to point B and I'm being stupid cautious.

It's ridiculously heavy and the 2.7, while a little mighty mouse, really eats into heavy towing capacity. I wasn't the original owner, but he was obviously a lot like me. He wanted everything a higher package includes except leather. A Lariat would have been cheaper and better equipped to tow - I think most of them did get the beefy frames. I only bought this one because my kid wrecked my other 2018 and this was a time when trucks were sitting on the lot for hours rather than days. I did get a good deal, but I knew that it wouldn't be a truck I'd want to tow a camper with, and I would really like to have a little camper. Plan was to keep it til the end of the acoughalypse and trade it in. With interest rates being what they are, I'm just going to drive it into the ground and buy another one in (hopefully) 10 years or so.

I have towed with it, I think I mentioned earlier or I may not that this truck pulls a full boat (22 foot pontoon) out of the water and up the ramp and I don't have to get on it at all, smooth as silk.

Most people that tow know that it doesn't have squat to do with how much it can possibly drag down the highway. I bet I could get 20k rolling in my truck. Could I control it or stop it in a timely manner or not kill myself or 20 other people on the road attempting it? Not likely

View attachment 186168View attachment 186169
Jesus, that's down there in Ram territory. That is officially the lowest payload I've ever seen on an F150.

But yea, people hardly ever pay attention to the payload. A huge percentage of travel-trailer people are overloaded. I've had a few think I was, but I'm not.

I just looked again. RAWR of 3350# on your truck. What on earth was Ford thinking?

I use my 2018 2.7 4x4xlt SuperCrew to tow a righteous Helicopter dolly on a flat bed trailer, FL to NY and back. About 6500 pounds. The truck has no trouble doing the job. None. Sometimes with the Power Cart in the bed. The idea that this truck is not up to the task, and reliably so, is wrong. I95 or I81, matters not, does fine both up and down the hills.

There is more to that though. The parade float I tow is only about 8000lbs, but 1800 of that is on the tongue. Tow rating and payload are two very different things. This has to be a consideration when you decide what to buy. If you look at the trailers in Europe and other parts of the world look at where the axles are. They are set up for a lower tongue weight, that way they don't exceed the payload for their vehicles.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Say you’re someone who needs a truck for occasional farm and off-road use, so it needs to be 4x4. And say you often tow a 1300 pound (total) aluminum boat. And say you very rarely need to tow a 4000 pound tractor, but only for five miles. And you occasionally haul stuff, so a six foot or longer bed would be nice.

If your goal is to get the most frugal new vehicle that could accomplish these without being overly stressed, what brand/model truck would you choose? Either mid or full size is fine. I didn’t say compact because those don’t actually exist anymore.

Let’s say $45k is the absolute maximum spending cap but
Ram 1500 V6. Why cause it sounds economical

i went 3/4 ton about 6 years ago because a base 2500HD was about the same price as a volume tril (LT) 1500. 6.0 vortec and no problems ... i will be going slow and getting bad gas mileage for decades with this baby 🤣

but not sure the 6.6 has been out long enough to speak to its reliability and you have to keep a 3/4 ton an awfully long time to make up for all the extra money you spend on gas ....

i went 3/4 ton about 6 years ago because a base 2500HD was about the same price as a volume tril (LT) 1500. 6.0 vortec and no problems ... i will be going slow and getting bad gas mileage for decades with this baby 🤣

but not sure the 6.6 has been out long enough to speak to its reliability and you have to keep a 3/4 ton an awfully long time to make up for all the extra money you spend on gas ....
The L8T/6.6 are LT1/LT4 based. A bunch of L8Ts out there with 150,000 to 200,000 miles already. I didn't know that until I picked mine up. They are an improvement over the 6.0. I tend to agree with that the more I drive mine with the 10 speed. The MPG is better than my 6.0 was. I would think you are talking about the difference between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton and up gasser.

The L8T/6.6 are LT1/LT4 based. A bunch of L8Ts out there with 150,000 to 200,000 miles already. I didn't know that until I picked mine up. They are an improvement over the 6.0. I tend to agree with that the more I drive mine with the 10 speed. The MPG is better than my 6.0 was. I would think you are talking about the difference between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton and up gasser.
yeah I meant a 1500 saves a ton on gas but if you keep a 2500HD for 200k miles vs. take the resale hit on a 1500 at 100k miles it probably comes out in the wash.

Good to know about the 6.6! And the 10 speed makes it super tempting for sure.

Thanks for that information. Of course they would do something like that..:rolleyes:. So that only leaves just their half ton with a diesel option.
no one ever saved any money driving a diesel pickup. you are better off with whatever base model 4WD standard cab full sized pickup truck you can find in your price range than those compact models people seem to think are useful for more than getting a bag of fertilizer.

Back