Buying a house! Hard to find a non hoa area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: Miller88

I am so thankful I don't have to deal with a HOA. Granted, I definitely push it. I have had half of a Jeep Cherokee sitting in my back yard for 6 months now, also have a utility trailer and a camper.

Have only had my house 11 months, but it is the worst house in the neighborhood. Working on fixing it and making it a nice home, but it takes time. I'm glad I don't have ridiculous rules about what color my plants are, what color my siding is, fence colors, etc.

I live in a pretty simple town as far as zoning laws go. I plan on building a lean to on the back of my garage in the spring and won't have to worry about getting a permit, thankfully.

I'm the same way. I have 5 cars parked in my driveway, one of which is a junk SUV that's been sitting on blocks for the past several months that I'm taking apart and parting out. My house needs a paint job and some rotted siding replaced, and sometimes my lawn gets a little long before I get a chance to cut it. I'm glad there's no HOA to bother me.

Does your wife get mad and say your house is starting to look like Sanford and Son TV show ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: Miller88

I am so thankful I don't have to deal with a HOA. Granted, I definitely push it. I have had half of a Jeep Cherokee sitting in my back yard for 6 months now, also have a utility trailer and a camper.

Have only had my house 11 months, but it is the worst house in the neighborhood. Working on fixing it and making it a nice home, but it takes time. I'm glad I don't have ridiculous rules about what color my plants are, what color my siding is, fence colors, etc.

I live in a pretty simple town as far as zoning laws go. I plan on building a lean to on the back of my garage in the spring and won't have to worry about getting a permit, thankfully.

I'm the same way. I have 5 cars parked in my driveway, one of which is a junk SUV that's been sitting on blocks for the past several months that I'm taking apart and parting out. My house needs a paint job and some rotted siding replaced, and sometimes my lawn gets a little long before I get a chance to cut it. I'm glad there's no HOA to bother me.

Does your wife get mad and say your house is starting to look like Sanford and Son TV show ?

No, she doesn't. I actually would do yard work more often, but she wants me to spend more time with her and the kids instead. 'Cause family time and having a good relationship with the kids is more important than having a neatly trimmed lawn. As far as the home repairs go, we're going to get that stuff fixed soon, we just don't have the money for it at the moment. The cars are not an eyesore (except the junker) in my and my wife's opinion. She lets me have as many cars as I want, as long as we can afford them, and my four cars combined cost less than her car. This is what my driveway looks like. The junker (behind the CR-V in the photo) is currently parked where the CR-V is. There is almost always one vehicle parked in the garage, so there is usually at most 5 vehicles in the driveway.
full-19143-14043-20170916_075524.jpg

The cars actually were not that clean in the pic, I think they just look good from a distance. I cut down most of the trees near the driveway - I had a problem with birds in a tree constantly pooping on my truck. Not anymore! I think I had recently washed the Bronco when the pic was taken - that was the 1st time it was washed in years. The hood and other top surfaces were more brown than white. I remember before I had a family and was single I actually had free time. I could (and did) wash and detail my cars as often as I wanted. Now I'm lucky if I wash one car per year.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
HOAs arose due to lack of zoning and codes down here. Most of the area is ETJ Houston, which basically means the wild west. The HOAs step in and do what municipalities do elsewhere. Buying a house in the Houston area takes a lot of due diligence. Our current property raxes are >3.6% with no signs of abatement.

I think many of the complainers would be the first to put a boat in the driveway while cursing the Joneses because they have 5 cars parked on the lawn 24/7

Pure projection.

Nope.

Yeah, actually, it is. Your user name fits perfectly.

I expect that as a child, your favorite words were, "I'M TELLING!!!!!!!!!!!"

I guess you will have to explain it to me better, as I don’t understand what you are talking about. If you are trying to troll, you aren’t being very clever about it.

Look up what a coprolite actually is.

The problem we have here is that you are assuming too much about who you are interacting with here.

To risk getting pedantic, you can’t determine if something is projection on their part without knowing that person and their behaviors. It was not projection, but rather and observation of people who have lived near me and perhaps extrapolated a little bit for the sake of hyperbole.

I don’t have to look up what a coprolite is, but your attempt to associate it with an assigned personality as a kid is weak, at best. I actually chose the username because of an amusing intramural team at school, “The Flaming Coprolites”. To save you the Google and associated misinterpretation that is likely to follow, the team was not named after actual flaming coprolites, rather the juxtaposed concept of a coprolite and flaming bags of excrement that people leave on doorsteps.

I do find this last comment the funniest of them all, though. Thanks for the laughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back