My Pine Tree besides my house seems to be dying

I haven’t experienced this thankfully but I’ve heard that if a dead tree falls on your house your insurance probably won’t pay for damages. The thought is that the homeowner knew it was dead and didn’t remove it.

^^This is along the lines of what I was thinking.

EX: The tall pine tree across the street had brown and raggy bark progressing up its trunk with dead branches as part of the effect.
Branches were breaking off.
Too late for discussion, I thought.
Falling, it could hit the owner's house and that of a neighbor as well as their cars.
Our cars were in the potential strike zone. Maybe the very top would've hit our house.
All the neighbors conspired to drop the hint to Mrs. X (we'll call her).

I knew the tree guys and they all said it was ready to fall at any strong wind.

Sorry I don't know the species of tree or the disease.

When you say “draught” and record heat, it’s time to take a pause.

I went through the same thing this summer - we had not record heat but a record/near record draught. The big western cedars (arborvitae to be exact, not “true” cedar) all started turning very brown. We’ve had rain now for a week/10 days and it’s correcting. I’m talking about the four noted in the pic below. You can see how distinctly different they are from the surrounding fir and pine species. All standing together through the same summer. The difference is less stark now because we’ve been getting rain a while and it’s raining in the photo I just took.

I spoke to an arborist friend (he is the main arborist for one of the major Seattle area cities, not an amateur). he told me different evergreen species will react entirely differently to stress and not to sweat it.

If the tree is VERY different than identical species nearby, then worry. If it’s the only one of that species acting like that in a stand, “watchful waiting” is the byword here.

2313EACB-B43B-43E8-BB08-DFCA82CC21FB.jpeg

When you say “draught” and record heat, it’s time to take a pause.

I went through the same thing this summer - we had not record heat but a record/near record draught. The big western cedars (arborvitae to be exact, not “true” cedar) all started turning very brown. We’ve had rain now for a week/10 days and it’s correcting. I’m talking about the four noted in the pic below. You can see how distinctly different they are from the surrounding fir and pine species. All standing together through the same summer. The difference is less stark now because we’ve been getting rain a while and it’s raining in the photo I just took.

View attachment 181520
We're in the same drought conditions. Record low rainfalls. Our soil is bone dry in some areas.

Those trees demonstrate the flagging I was talking about earlier. I'd suggest you get a Ross Root feeder and water those trees well, particularly next summer if the drought continues.

We're in the same drought conditions. Record low rainfalls. Our soil is bone dry in some areas.

Those trees demonstrate the flagging I was talking about earlier. I'd suggest you get a Ross Root feeder and water those trees well, particularly next summer if the drought continues.

Noted. Thanks for the idea. I would be particularly vexed at losing those two that are tallest, closest. They are within a reasonable distance of a stand-pipe adjacent to some garden beds that I could run a hose that far. I’ll look into that for next summer. I don’t recall them ever getting like this in a summer before this one.

Noted. Thanks for the idea. I would be particularly vexed at losing those two that are tallest, closest. They are within a reasonable distance of a stand-pipe adjacent to some garden beds that I could run a hose that far. I’ll look into that for next summer. I don’t recall them ever getting like this in a summer before this one.
I'm in SWFLA, We have southern slash pines here. they are drought resistant trees... yours probably are too.
sucker just died on you, of course you can wait ahwile and find out for sure, but its most likely dead.

my experience is they die quickly.. anything can stress them and they go from live to dead in no time.

Last edited:
I'm in SWFLA, We have southern slash pines here. they are drought resistant trees... yours probably are too.
sucker just died on you, of course you can wait ahwile and find out for sure, but its most likely dead.

my experience is they die quickly.. anything can stress them and they go from live to dead in no time.
No, those come back. They’ve been like that before and then bounce right back when the rain starts. They’ve been like/doing the same cycle for 25 years now.

Drove by a nice home last week - lawn was green and Live Oaks looked great. Three large/brown pine trees …
(my parents had them - always green) …
I had a river birch die that was getting watered …
Pretty extreme summer … not long after an extreme winter - some of my stuff that lived are not what they were - stunted
Texas had forest fires an hour north of me … but just flying out of IAH the dense pines were green …

Back