Buying a house! Hard to find a non hoa area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My HOA wasn't bad until they started adding more rules, did less and less for us, charged more and more per month, and would find every nit picky excuse to fine you. So glad I moved from there, although the neighbors were getting equally fed up with the HOA Nazis. Yes, they cut the grass and cleared the snow for us, but when someone crashed into the wood gazebo and wasn't insured, we all learned about the little-known clause that says we all have to pay a special assessment to make up for it. It was only $30, but strangely, the flimsy wood gazebo was replaced with a rather expensive brick one. Hmmm.... That was the last straw for me, but thankfully my house was already sold and I was moving out, just as the rates were going from $250/month to $267/month.

Last edited:
HOA's can be good and bad. I have a few relatives that live in them and they are okay. My new neighbor moved from a neighborhood that had one. He said he was mowing his lawn one day (during the day) and someone approached him and told him he could only mow his lawn on Saturdays. He told them he worked on Saturdays and the board claimed he needed to pay for a lawn service.

Like anything else I think some are fine, others are full of people on power trips.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
He said he was mowing his lawn one day (during the day) and someone approached him and told him he could only mow his lawn on Saturdays. He told them he worked on Saturdays and the board claimed he needed to pay for a lawn service.

Wonder what the CC&Rs said that he signed off on when he bought there?

Thats it. Way too many people see a house, fall in love with it, buy it, then move in without a clue what their HOA policies are. THEN they want to complain. I agree HOA's are not for everyone. Buyers should do their homework up front, understand it, and not complain when polices are enforced.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
He said he was mowing his lawn one day (during the day) and someone approached him and told him he could only mow his lawn on Saturdays. He told them he worked on Saturdays and the board claimed he needed to pay for a lawn service.

I have never in my life heard of an HOA that says you can only mow on Saturdays! Sounds bogus. Can you imagine all the lawnmowers buzzing all day long in a large community? Saturday would be awful if you enjoyed being outside and wanted to relax. One or two mowers...not a big deal. But the whole community mowing? That can't be right.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Thats it. Way too many people see a house, fall in love with it, buy it, then move in without a clue what their HOA policies are. THEN they want to complain. I agree HOA's are not for everyone. Buyers should do their homework up front, understand it, and not complain when polices are enforced.

you and couple others in the thread assume too much:

so let me tell you my story with 2 HOAs:
-I read the rules from both HOAs

-rules where kind of enforced with unofficial preference given to the older owners: DUH, this is a family community, not a retirement one!
-I got some violations from one HOA for:
-crack in my garage door window; it was visible only from 2 feet away
-damaged entry walkway: sorry more then 10ft away from walls; HOA business not mine
-something something about door to patio: sorry, external, so HOA business not mine
-not updating my address: DUH, department communication; me, I have a legal document saying I sold the house!
-and some others....
-call/leave email about the violation, they contacted me 2 months after (after the fine term.....); they where low in personnel, catching up after vacations.....
They delayed my closing when I was selling my house because of their "timeless"/NOT response

now I moved, so let's start with HOA #2:
-violations:
-violation for floor install/not thick enough: duh, I'm first floor; nobody is going to hear me; also HOA didn't
provide me the minimum floor thickness/subfloor requirements(the lady just forgot to give it to all the buyers in
the last 5 years)
-violation for my kids being outside on common grounds: well, they are well behaved, not tearing everything apart;
it did not apply to all the renters kids? found out later they had a "problem" with a former HOA worker they where
evicting; my kids where playing with that kid.....
-violation for noise from my neigbor: well it was before 5pm, my workers where doing the subfloor per HOA recommendations;
did not apply to my upstairs neighbor waking me up repeatedly at 3AM .....
-violation for parking in my spot: OK long story; I bought and the former 2 neighbors where in a vehicle door banging
contest, hence the only air mattress in all the garages between them; we take the spot showed to us by the HOA, park
there for 3 years, neighbor dies. next week i cannot park in any spot: well, I raised h411 with HOA, and told them
"you have until Monday to clear this up or I'm calling towing; I have a legal document saying I have ownership to
a parking spot!"
-rules where kind of enforced with preference given to the older owners: DUH, this is a family community, not a retirement one! also the fact you have families, just brought your old 70's building value up, since we renovate ours apartments and we keep it clean. also families pay there HOA dues= more common money!
most of the enforcement of the rental rules (numbers cap/yay/nay), it hit them big time at the last recession when people on a fixed budget could not afford their own mortgage and could not rent to pay for it=no HOA dues.
no HOA dues=only basic maintenance + cheaply paid maintenance personnel.
hence a lot of families bought short-sales/auction/....

They may be a lot of good HOA, but there are only as good as the people running them.
A lot are on power trips. they still don't know, the law can trump them, but they have the power (without having any training or law knowledge) to put a lien on your house and fine you each month even if in the wrong....

Originally Posted By: andrewg

I have never in my life heard of an HOA that says you can only mow on Saturdays! Sounds bogus. Can you imagine all the lawnmowers buzzing all day long in a large community? Saturday would be awful if you enjoyed being outside and wanted to relax. One or two mowers...not a big deal. But the whole community mowing? That can't be right.

jeepman3071,
I wonder if he thought to tell them he was a certain denomination NOT working on Saturdays.....

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Yeah it sounded crazy to me as well, but from what he said they had a lot of other completely bogus rules. I guess the HOA committee changed a few times while he lived there, and they pretty much created their own rules. I guess it is something you have to pay for as well?? And they kept upping the dues also. The committee had a list of trusted "contractors" that were all friends of the committee members, including that previously mentioned lawn care service. From what he said it sounded like a ton of politics were involved, since many of the committee members were also involved with local town government. Where I live we don't have an HOA, but there are "recommendations" such as no garden sheds (we have one but it's in the backyard) and no hanging clothes out to dry on a line.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

I find it disappointing that parts of our society have degenerated into such elitist trash that they would actually pass on a home because they saw a neighbor checking their oil.

I seriously doubt just "checking their oil" is the real issue. Thats a most minor thing, but could it lead to a junk, dirty SUV sitting up on blocks for months on end, because someone is "fixing it"?

Thats what the HOA's are trying to avoid.

I am so thankful I don't have to deal with a HOA. Granted, I definitely push it. I have had half of a Jeep Cherokee sitting in my back yard for 6 months now, also have a utility trailer and a camper.

Have only had my house 11 months, but it is the worst house in the neighborhood. Working on fixing it and making it a nice home, but it takes time. I'm glad I don't have ridiculous rules about what color my plants are, what color my siding is, fence colors, etc.

I live in a pretty simple town as far as zoning laws go. I plan on building a lean to on the back of my garage in the spring and won't have to worry about getting a permit, thankfully.

The only people who NEED HOAs are those who can't afford not to live in a dumpy neighborhood...

Quick story: My late Father in Law built a beautiful home in a fine neighborhood around 1970, my wife grew up in it. Over time, he lost jobs, and his finances suffered. He started to collect JUNK. Beat up old cars that barely ran, then when they died, he parked them in the yard. If that was not enough, he got a late 60's era junk SCHOOL BUS because he had some crazy dream of converting it to an RV and "travelling the world". Somehow he was going to do this while his utilities kept getting cut off due to non-payment.

Their neighborhood stayed beautiful and well kept, except for this junk yard. The neighbors hated the eyesore and property devaluation, but legally do nothing about it, because there was no HOA, and it was not in a city limit. When FIL passed, he had 10 junk cars, two rusted, broke, 50 year old tractors, several junk motors, and the massive junk school bus left in his yard.

What a blessing an reasonable HOA would have been.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
HOAs arose due to lack of zoning and codes down here. Most of the area is ETJ Houston, which basically means the wild west. The HOAs step in and do what municipalities do elsewhere. Buying a house in the Houston area takes a lot of due diligence. Our current property raxes are >3.6% with no signs of abatement.

I think many of the complainers would be the first to put a boat in the driveway while cursing the Joneses because they have 5 cars parked on the lawn 24/7

Pure projection.

Nope.

HOAs arose due to lack of zoning and codes down here. Most of the area is ETJ Houston, which basically means the wild west. The HOAs step in and do what municipalities do elsewhere. Buying a house in the Houston area takes a lot of due diligence. Our current property raxes are >3.6% with no signs of abatement.

I think many of the complainers would be the first to put a boat in the driveway while cursing the Joneses because they have 5 cars parked on the lawn 24/7

Pure projection.

Nope.

Yep. Don't have a boat. And it's 7 cars (and a boat) not 5.

Pure projection.

Nope.

Yeah, actually, it is. Your user name fits perfectly.

I expect that as a child, your favorite words were, "I'M TELLING!!!!!!!!!!!"

HOA's can be good and bad. I have a few relatives that live in them and they are okay. My new neighbor moved from a neighborhood that had one. He said he was mowing his lawn one day (during the day) and someone approached him and told him he could only mow his lawn on Saturdays. He told them he worked on Saturdays and the board claimed he needed to pay for a lawn service.

What if it's raining all day Saturday?

Like anything else I think some are fine, others are full of people on power trips.

This is a clear example of them overstepping their authority.....unless it's written in their community rules, which I doubt it is. You can't dictate when people mow their lawns, wash their cars or water their bushes. These folks need something to occupy their time....like a real job.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I am so thankful I don't have to deal with a HOA. Granted, I definitely push it. I have had half of a Jeep Cherokee sitting in my back yard for 6 months now, also have a utility trailer and a camper.

Have only had my house 11 months, but it is the worst house in the neighborhood. Working on fixing it and making it a nice home, but it takes time. I'm glad I don't have ridiculous rules about what color my plants are, what color my siding is, fence colors, etc.

I live in a pretty simple town as far as zoning laws go. I plan on building a lean to on the back of my garage in the spring and won't have to worry about getting a permit, thankfully.

I'm the same way. I have 5 cars parked in my driveway, one of which is a junk SUV that's been sitting on blocks for the past several months that I'm taking apart and parting out. My house needs a paint job and some rotted siding replaced, and sometimes my lawn gets a little long before I get a chance to cut it. I'm glad there's no HOA to bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back