My Pine Tree besides my house seems to be dying

We have a drought this summer in Texas aside from a record heat throughout the season.

I don't know if it was poisoned?

I hate calling an Arbonist because majority of them owns a Tree Service Company. Even if the tree is savable, they'll say it has to be cut for them to make money.

Here's a picture of my tree. I contacted the HOA about this.

Is this tree dead or in dormant?

I believe the needles are 70% brown and 30% green needles

Thanks
tree.jpg

I have lost a few. Waiting is NOT a good idea if it is beetles. Is there any sap running out of any holes around the trunk? Or anything that looks like popcorn stuck to the tree? Those are beetle signs. If none of these are present, wait til spring. It could be drought stress.

I have lost a few. Waiting is NOT a good idea if it is beetles. Is there any sap running out of any holes around the trunk? Or anything that looks like popcorn stuck to the tree? Those are beetle signs. If none of these are present, wait til spring. It could be drought stress.
I have not observed yet. But I have to take a look.

Hmm...pine needles go brown and fall all the time...?
Hence pine straw...
What am I missing here? Tree looks fine.

We're prairie people now living on the west coast, otherwise known as the wet coast. We're in the midst of a drought too and we've been watering our trees. Our neighbours say their trees are fine but they don't look fine. They're doing what we call flagging - sections of needles at the tips of branches are turning brown and then eventually falling off.

We use a Ross Root Feeder (without the fertilizer pucks) to get water into the ground well inside the drip line of our trees. For a large tree we run the water for about an hour (at about a 30 degree spacing) every month or so.

Your tree looks like a goner but there would be no harm in watering it and waiting to see what happens.

In Edmonton we had neighbours (who described themselves as desert people) who had a beautiful tree die in their front yard. They thought someone must have poisoned it but I'm pretty sure it died from lack of water.

I have at least 5 trees that are brown and probably dead from drought. And several bushes. These bushes are probably 70 years old. In Texas

It could be under attack by pine beetle.

The roots could be under stress.

How big is it?

Do you know what kind of pine? How many needles per bundle?
If it was under attack by pine beetles, you would see chunks of bark coming off. I just had 5 dead pines from pine beetles taken down near my house here in WV this am.
If it has some green in it, there still is life. I'd quit watering and see what happens.

Back