Buying a house! Hard to find a non hoa area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have to live in Houston? Pretty much all the major metro areas in TX are going to be very expensive/overpriced. All those silly Californians flocked to TX after 2009 and jacked up the cost of living..

We live in an older development with a voluntary HOA but are having a house built in a development with an active HOA. Here all the rules you agreed to when you signed the papers are ignored. Properties run down, 3 foot weeds everywhere, up the street a guy has 7 cars in his front yard, down the street is a hoarder house. Around the block is a property that always is parked full of cars and the back looks and sounds like an active junkyard. If you want to have your car on jacks in the driveway for a year while changing the tranny no problem. Got a relative that wants to winter over in their trailer in front of your house with 2 tires on the street? No problem. I was on a street today while riding around on my bike and saw and heard a goat in a small fence in a side yard. All well and good unless you happen to live next door or nearby and might want to sell you property someday or just want to enjoy your place without disturbance. The only way the HOA board will take a look at a nuisance property is if a neighbor complains in writing, signed. That's [censored], they're afraid to do the job they signed up for.

Where we're moving enforces the rules in regards to the appearance of the property from the street and we have no problem with that, we keep our place nice and would like the neighbors to as well. Some of the lots are wide enough to have an 8 foot gate (ours) but you can't have a trailer, boat, etc. that's visible from the street. By all means if you don't like the rules don't buy a property.

It sounds like M.O.M.s problem is the size of the lots, not the HOA.

I know someone who lives in Houston with an HOA. He got a nasty letter because he washed his car and left the towel on the front porch for a couple hours to dry. WOW! Should have taken him to jail over that!

smirk.gif

In my neighborhood, there's no HOA, we're in a major area, and we don't have any of the issues that HOA lovers worry about. Our property values keep skyrocketing as well.

Then again, we're an area notorious for minding our own business, so HOA would probably not be compatible here. Someone has a boat that's not behind a fence on their property? Who cares? Guy 3 blocks up who has 3 non-running Jeeps behind his house? Who cares?

City code enforcement takes care of the REAL problems, but few have ever arisen.

I have occasionally had code enforcement come at me for things such as changing a marine drive in my driveway, or swapping an engine, but their inquiries centered mostly around how long a certain act would be going on. So long as it's in moderation, they don't care.

Building code is a whole other matter. They don't play on that point.

No HOA in my neighborhood. If people don't like something about your house, they call the police code enforcement officer.

HOAs arose due to lack of zoning and codes down here. Most of the area is ETJ Houston, which basically means the wild west. The HOAs step in and do what municipalities do elsewhere. Buying a house in the Houston area takes a lot of due diligence. Our current property raxes are >3.6% with no signs of abatement.

I think many of the complainers would be the first to put a boat in the driveway while cursing the Joneses because they have 5 cars parked on the lawn 24/7

3.6% taxes is nuts. We are still under 3 here in central texas.

Most suburbs are HOA here. I live in one.

Most homes under 300k are going to be in a HOA anyways.

Mine is 80 dollars per quarter, and includes a gym and two nice pools.

Nobody has bothered us about anything, and I actually use the gym and the pool frequently.

You cannot possibly lump HOAs into one category as good or bad. There are so many variables involved, and those variables themselves will differ from neighborhood to neighborhood and location to location.

If properly run, they are invaluable. If not, they can feel like you are wasting time, money, and energy. There are always some people that refuse to cooperate, some that want to enforce rules to the T, some that are difficult in meetings and are actually counterproductive... but again, they can keep home values up, and even protect your neighborhood legally in certain instances.

I wouldn't let an HOA deter you from a home. Ask a couple people in the neighborhood about it... if they say it's a waste and doesn't do any good, move on. But don't let it scare you away from a house.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
No HOA in my neighborhood. If people don't like something about your house, they call the police code enforcement officer.

That doesn't always do the trick. An example of an HOA rule can be no flags allowed besides the American flag. If your neighbor down the street hangs a swastika flag, police can't do anything about that. Meanwhile, no one will ever buy your place with that kind of neighbor. HOA offers gray-area protections like that.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog

That doesn't always do the trick. An example of an HOA rule can be no flags allowed besides the American flag. If your neighbor down the street hangs a swastika flag, police can't do anything about that. Meanwhile, no one will ever buy your place with that kind of neighbor. HOA offers gray-area protections like that.

It's even simpler than that for my HOA. Ours has rules about the color of the roof shingle you use, since a neighborhood can start looking really low grade when every house has a different color and style of roof (unless we're talking $500K+ high end homes).

Or an even simpler example - on trash day you must bring your polycart back "inside" (out of sight) once it is dark out. If it weren't for this rule and the enforcement of it, I swear some people would leave their polycart on the street all year long.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: thunderfog

It's even simpler than that for my HOA. Ours has rules about the color of the roof shingle you use, since a neighborhood can start looking really low grade when every house has a different color and style of roof (unless we're talking $500K+ high end homes).

Or an even simpler example - on trash day you must bring your polycart back "inside" (out of sight) once it is dark out. If it weren't for this rule and the enforcement of it, I swear some people would leave their polycart on the street all year long.

Yup... it keeps everyone on the same page and property values at their max when done right.

I prefer HOAs, actually wish the one I was in was a little more restrictive and enforced maintenance a little more.

To the OP, can you not find something outside of town? I would imagine there's plenty of places outside these cookie cutter HOA neighborhoods.

I technically live in town, but on a dead end street. All older homes and nothing can be built near us. No HOA's or anything and as long as you keep your yard halfway decent nobody seems to give you any trouble. Couldn't imagine not being able to work on my own vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
My brother has a $900K house and if you check (not change) the oil in your driveway you'll get a letter from HOA warning you.

This frustrates me, but then again, it shouldn't.. I'm not the one living there.

I'm assuming he knew the rules prior to moving in?

Search HAR.com

http://www.har.com/

I don't know where you are in HTX, but its not difficult to find what you are looking for. Just go "out" from whatever side of the city you are on. There are abundant choices all around the perimeter of HTX.

I have had a good experience with our HOA. Its not overbearing at all. Yes, people who trash their home and yard will get confronted, but if you give your home reasonable care, and don't park junk vehicles, there will be no problem.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
A lot of people are saying that some HOAs are fine. I thought the rules could change anytime?

They can, if the busybodies in charge decide to.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I'd like to be able to save money and put a put and a landscaping trailer in the backyard, but all the houses in my area have an hoa and they're parked 6ft away from another.

Tell your Real Estate Agent NO HOA don't waste my time. If they fail in this, fire them and get another. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back