Buick V8 NorthStar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clark,

Several months ago I bought a 2006 Buick Lucerne with the N* engine. It had 78000 miles and the previous .owner admitted to a little engine oil seepage. I went from Jiffy Lube bulk 5w30 changes to a 10w30 HM oil and the seepage has slowed down. If it continues I may go to a 10w40 HM oil.

I love the ride comfort and the power of the engine. So far so good.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Only if you're handy and are good at working on cars. Which all of the guys telling you to buy it are the mechanic types.

I wouldn't say that. I dabble and yes I do my own stuff ok heads, cams, clutches and an engine swap here and there, but I am not a mechanic. But I do know the 06 and up are pretty solid aside from the oil leaks.
If he can get one for the prices listed he is getting a steal.

Isn't that the Northstar Drip, where fixing it means pulling the engine?

You can do it either way, pull the engine or pull the trans. The exhaust crossover runs directly under the oil pan and can't be removed with one or the other in the car. That, and the bolts that hold the block halves together often break when removed. There's a reason so few were fixed.

I got lucky with my Seville, the engine had been removed and completely resealed before I got it. It leaks absolutely nothing.

Originally Posted by clarkflower
Never got to bid. (I also have to do my job)
A 50,000 mile Sonata came in. 1 owner. Focused on it and had my dealer friend bid to 3250. It sold for 4600. We both thought that was close to retail.

Next week..always another car

The 3.9 Impala sold for 3800 which we also though was high

The BHPH folks have been very disruptive to the auction system. They don't really care what they get those cars for because they'll take nearly the auction price as a deposit and finance the profit. Down here, it's worse than most places. I watch the auctions alot, and it's hilarious what some of these vehicles go for.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Originally Posted by clarkflower
Never got to bid. (I also have to do my job)
A 50,000 mile Sonata came in. 1 owner. Focused on it and had my dealer friend bid to 3250. It sold for 4600. We both thought that was close to retail.

Next week..always another car

The 3.9 Impala sold for 3800 which we also though was high

The BHPH folks have been very disruptive to the auction system. They don't really care what they get those cars for because they'll take nearly the auction price as a deposit and finance the profit. Down here, it's worse than most places. I watch the auctions alot, and it's hilarious what some of these vehicles go for.

True and now with GPS they take less down cause they can recover the car easier.

But also mea culpa

I should have know a 50k car would bring too much attention... (though I though I might sneak one in at this specific time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back