Brake Caliper Piston Wind Up Tool

Can anyone recommend a Brake Caliper Piston Wind Up Tool . I tried using needle nose pliers and tore the boot and it looks like I have to buy a new caliper now . How do you size this up to the piston on the caliper ?

The tool looks like this >>>>>>

Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 22-27-47 Amazon.com brake caliper wind back tool.jpg

THIS ONE

I don't want the kind you have pictured with the C-clamp handle that hurts my hands.

You ever try to loosen a tiny little C-clamp that's on there real tight?

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a Brake Caliper Piston Wind Up Tool . I tried using needle nose pliers and tore the boot and it looks like I have to buy a new caliper now . How do you size this up to the piston on the caliper ?

The tool looks like this >>>>>>

View attachment 163211
If you buy or rent this tool in a kit it comes with the most common adapters for various piston designs. The adapters are magnetics. With some rear calipers, you can get away with using the little cube-shaped tool. Always get the proper tool for the job.

Or just go to O'Reilly's and use the whole kit free.
I went to AAP because it was the closest and rented theres . Boy this job is a PITA . I tried to wind it but it was stuck so I applied the parking brake which freed it up and it wound up most of the way so I have to repeat the process .

If you only have to do this on one vehicle one time, just buy the cheapest tool that works.

The Lisle 26800 "cube" tool is the one I use. It's sometimes difficult to hold it in contact with the piston. I have three vehicles that have parking brake calipers (the others have separate shoes) and this tool works on them all.

Usually comes with higher mileage in vehicles that haven't had brake fluid flushes done regularly. Causes corrosion in the bore. Same issue that would show up as leaking wheel cylinders in cars with rear drums and shows sometimes as leaky front or rear calipers after compression for new pads. Not an 'every time' issue, but common enough.

Usually comes with higher mileage in vehicles that haven't had brake fluid flushes done regularly. Causes corrosion in the bore.
I was thinking along the same lines as you . Plus the piston doesn't extend out very far until you remove the pads .

Back