Black Friday.... Heaven or [censored]?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a couple things we needed/wanted at Menards and TSC, ( on the Black Friday 6 hour sale) so went over there about 8:30 this morning. Was a LOT of people, but everybody was polite, no shoving, and they still had all the items we wanted. no long check out lines either, probably because ALL the check stands were open.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
I spent $0 this Black Friday! I will treat myself to a starbucks today, yeahhhhhh.

Same here, except I'm going to go get an "all the cup will hold" frozen yogurt for $5...

The only black Friday place I have ever frequented regularly was Academy Sports -
they can have some amazing gun & ammo deals.
The lines really aren't that bad, too.

Home depot and Lowe's have NEVER been a good black Friday experience.
I won't even dare attempt best buy or walmart.

I don't shop on BF.
The prices are lower as Christmas gets closer.
I actually enjoy getting out to real stores and seeing all the lights and decoration.
I will not shop online,anyone that does is just putting another nail in the coffin of real stores.unless you are unable to get out that is.
Many lost jobs because of online shopping.

Slept in, and then took advantage of the unseasonably warm temps, and went for a ride well away from any stores.

I had to work this morning, but my co-worker said he needed a few things from WalMart, so we stopped in on the company's dime. (FWIW: Before I get attacked for "stealing time from my employer", my co-worker is the owner's son) When my co-worker went in, so did I. It was 10:00 AM and the store was bare except for a few trailer-parkers doing some crazy dives into the DVD bins. I bought some USB drives for $5/each and paid in the self-checkout area, still a barren area. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.

Did my shopping online and they are expected to arrive today. (after ordering at the beginning of November wft amazon?)
As expected no specials at the dealership parts counter since I needed to replace a leaky oil pressure sender on the Silverado.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
When PepBoys had the free $20 gift card, I visited 2 stores and got 3 gift cards.

For me it was worth it.

Thats good. People put different values on their own time going out and doing things. There is also a thrill factor in free or excessive bargain which hard to put a price on.

Online shopping may not be the cheapest always but has been a massive time saver in my family to do fun things in my life personally and with family.

The local gun store had a Ruger 10/22 for $189, my son wanted one, so we picked one up this morning...That was the extent of my Black Friday shopping. The rest will be a Cyber Monday.

Side Note: Everyone was very pleasant and friendly, had multiple conversations with folks while in line. No arguments, fighting, or disagreeable people about... Everyone was extremely well mannered in the store filled with guns and ammo – funny that.

Got some nice audio gear online from Crutchfield and Amazon today for Santa to give me.
Solid seasonal markdowns from 'msrp' and N/C shipping without having to mix it up with the unwashed masses.

Then worked out in the garden with de rigueur SPF-30 on.

Go in after the crowds die down, like after noon.
If they have what you want, great.
If not, no biggie.
Increasingly, retail seems to operate on a rolling sale model and you can find great buys throughout the year.
B&M stores are still generally a better source of deals than is online in my observation.
It's also more fun to actually shop than to click IMO, although online is quicker for things you can wait a few days to get.
There is also the social aspect of shopping, which is totally lacking in the online experience. Mingling and chatting with strangers is a part of life and it's a little sad that people would rather cozy up to a screen than to interact with others.
No wonder so many people of various ages seem to lack social skills. They've either allowed them to atrophy or they never developed them in the first place.

Ordered the new TV and went and picked it up.. no line. Ordered the new camera system online.. no line! Unfortunately made the mistake of going to Menards. We weren't buying any of the black Friday junk just needed to pickup the new bathtub and accessories. They were nice enough to hold everything till we came back to 5 or 6! We'll never go to any store on black Friday.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I went to Home Depot to buy temporary fencing (orange construction netting) and surprisingly it was very busy at 5 PM.

The SN Idemitsu going clearance at AAP that I unloaded on makes me surmise, you make your own sale. Hustle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Go in after the crowds die down, like after noon.
If they have what you want, great.
If not, no biggie.
Increasingly, retail seems to operate on a rolling sale model and you can find great buys throughout the year.
B&M stores are still generally a better source of deals than is online in my observation.
It's also more fun to actually shop than to click IMO, although online is quicker for things you can wait a few days to get.
There is also the social aspect of shopping, which is totally lacking in the online experience. Mingling and chatting with strangers is a part of life and it's a little sad that people would rather cozy up to a screen than to interact with others.
No wonder so many people of various ages seem to lack social skills. They've either allowed them to atrophy or they never developed them in the first place.

Totally agree with this....

I went shopping once on Black Friday, will never do it again...I know people who love it though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back