Bi-directional engine code scanner

Looking to purchase a engine code scanner and was curious how many people are using the bi- directional type code scanner.

Looking to purchase a engine code scanner and was curious how many people are using the bi- directional type code scanner.
I use one. I have the Thintool Pros that Soft Cars mentioned above. I bought it based on watching PHAD using and recommending his. I've had it for almost two years and it has been great.

I have an Autel DS808 from 2018. Happy with the tool, and it’s paid for itself several times over with diagnostics and key programming. My 2 complaints - no Bluetooth capability (so I can’t use a wireless dongle) and the SW Subscription is $350 a year to reactivate/update to the latest vehicles. That seems like too much for this tool, but it was their cheapest offering with bidirectional capability when I purchased.

The newer models seem to have all the same capability and Bluetooth for a few hundred less than I originally paid though. For software, I figure by the time I’m working on something new enough to need an update beyond MY2021, it’ll be time to replace the tool entirely.

I use Forscan, Techstream, and Carista.

I bleed brakes, set TPMS sensors.

What do you want to do?

I use Forscan Lite on my Android phone w/ a OBDLink Bluetooth adapter. Granted it only works for Ford/Mazda vehicles, but it works really well.

What is the best brand to get where you don't spend hours to join a club, that needs all your personal information?
I heard some of them cripple the Bi directional if you don't let them have a wifi connection every month or so, I'm guessing so they can report your VIN's to the manufacture that is most always in China?
Also would rather a wired OBD connection for speed and less RF buzzing in my head.
So who offers all that?
I just wish there was an outfit to go to that I could purchase it, and have them set it up for plug and play, no registrations no down loads and all that crap.

Probably one I’d try if I repurchased today.

They’re composed of 5 things:
1) A tablet computer based on an ARM chip
2). An OS (Android something)
3) an obd2 dongle
4) The diag software
5). An entitlement certificate system. As long as you’re entitled you can download app updates.

To me, the annual entitlement cost is high, about 1/3 the cost of a new scanner. But it’s secure. You won’t find a way around it.
If you have the eyes for it, it seems to me an average smartphone could take the place of items 1 and 2.
Maybe the xtool A30M, which promises lifetime updates.

I’ve got an older model launch x431 diagun IV as a diy guy. I think it works very well on the Honda and fords i own. I very much appreciate the bidirectional capability. It can save a lot of time. If anything, I’d wish I got something with a larger screen.

Back