Scan tools and yearly costs?

Are there any Bi directional scanners that don't require an annual fee to keep all the normal functionality?
I see no reason for an average hobbyist to have to update for cars it won't be used on.
And what scanners do owners here like the best?

Depends on how much functionality you want. Full-featured ones? No, they all have a fee, especially if you need access to FCA Autoauth.

Xtool D7 here, 3 years worth of free updates, tool works fully without updates after if one chooses not to pay for further updates. It may be worth it to buy a new one when the tool is 5-6 years old anyway.

Reactions: D60
What @atikovi said above ................. I run an Autel MP808.

Cannot say it's the best because I have never had the opportunity to do a direct personal comparison to other brands/models in real-world conditions I encounter

I picked this little guy up on Temu for $100, it works flawlessly on my Regal so far. It seems to use the same software that Autel scanners use. Here's an Amazon link to the same unit:

Thinkdiag bluetooth scan tool

It says it comes with 1 year of updates, but it should "work" forever without updating.

I guess none of you guys work on late model FCA? Their requirement to use AutoAuth really changed the landscape on this issue. A lot of OEMs are planning to employ a similar authentication system.

No valid scan tool subscription = unable to use AutoAuth= scan tool cannot be used.

I have a Innova 5610 that doesn't cost to update and it has some bi-directional capabilities. My Thinktool Pros does require updates and my two years of free updates are going to expire in about two weeks. I'm not sure of the cost to update yet or if I will update it. It will continue to function if I don't update but I'm not sure what might not work other than using it on late model FCA which we don't currently have in our family.

I guess none of you guys work on late model FCA? Their requirement to use AutoAuth really changed the landscape on this issue. A lot of OEMs are planning to employ a similar authentication system.

No valid scan tool subscription = unable to use AutoAuth= scan tool cannot be used.
FCA, security gateway, blah blah blah call it what you want on different brands - they are all going in that direction.

On my MP808 everything pre-those swear words continue to work without a subscription or renewal active.

I intend to tackle those vehicles too if/once they come along and it's needed, but ATM no need for that status on my tool yet so I will cross that bridge only when the time comes.

What is the definition of "late model FCA"?
Anything with SGW, mostly 2019+

Anything with SGW, mostly 2019+

I dunno how it works and if the SGW has evolved but you unplug it in the JL's so you can plug in the Tazer. My understanding is at that point theoretically the vehicle could then be hacked remotely (like they did with that....Grand Cherokee? was it?) but I'm not losing sleep ;)

At least this is true of my '19. No idea if it's still exactly the same for 2023 or 2024 MY

I just ran into this today with my Launch X431 scanner when attempting to configure some settings on a friend's 2019 base model RAM. I remember reading about it in the product literature, but I never set up Autoauth as I've never needed it. I'm still well within the 2-year free update / Autoauth access, so working through that now.

It won't be long, you'll have to have a subscription just to drive the dang car. But as long as people are buying and putting up with this, the manufacturers will keep making money off it.

Back