Best bang for the buck bi-directional scanner?

I have a drawer full of scanners, some reaching back to the original OBD port read only for Fords with EEC-IV. I also have laptop with VCDS and a dongle cable for VW's. I would like to get something that is not as cumbersome on VW's as VCDS and more intuitive without the huge risk of mis-programming the VCDS has. I also want to be able to service all other makes up to the current model years, I mostly want to do this on a budget. I don't care if it is bluetooth based or actually a plug in device. Is there a budget all encompassing device that is bidirectional/graphing with all the brake, central convenience, transmission etc. VIN coding through external platforms would be a huge bonus. I am on a fixed income and don't want to put too much of a dent in my kibble and Purina meal budget. What say you?

I'll start by saying that there is nothing on VW that is intuitive yet powerful. If its intuitive its watered down because VW does their scan tool so much differently than any other manufacturer and most powerful tools either mimic/copy VCDS or try to copy ODIS. I wouldnt spend money on anything else chasing VW if you already have VCDS. I own and regularly use ODIS and VCDS as well as Autel and Launch tools and there really isnt much difference between Autel (and variants) Launch (and variants) and VCDS. VCDS is far more user friendly than ODIS.

For other carlines I would check out the topdon topscan pro or Otofix D1 lite. I own and use both in a professional setting.

Back