Best/worst sealed wheel bearing brands

Need to replace the front wheel bearings on my Dodge Dakota 2wd.
What are the best bearings to look for and what should I avoid?
Working heavy industrial my favorite bearings are skf and fag, but they probably don't make automotive size bearings. Looks like I have to buy the hub assembly with bearings installed.
I'll probably get the Moog ones, they're about double the price of the no-names.

Last edited:
It's just a sample of one, but I replaced a front wheel bearing in my '18 Silverado with a MOOG and so far, it has lasted longer than the OEM one that came from the factory.

Pretty much a monthly topic:

There's just 4 of many examples at your fingertips with Search

Careful where you buy so you don't get counterfeits, just like with spark plugs. I'd buy from Rockauto.com. SKF has counterfeits floating around on major online sites. Just google "SKF counterfeit wheel bearings ". SKF has a way to verify they're real.

Another vote for SKF. I’ve used them on a couple of vehicles and they’ve lasted till I sold the vehicles (over 50k miles). I bought a Moog one and it lasted less than 10k miles.

On some jobs that are difficult- and I'm working on doing my own jobs as paying for these services is just not working out lately----I'll install the best I can as in NOT CHEAPING OUT. If oem is $$ but gives good service- it goes back in, if oem has an issue, look for something better. 30 years ago I was an SKF fan, not anymore- I want to see a European, north American or jap country of origin on precision parts, I really don't care what they say about QA/QC because at the end of the day you are playing the odds with any product and nobody else is holding the bag but you. And regarding the the lifetime warranty deals on poor parts- what's my labour worth- nothing to these companies.

Last edited:
Careful where you buy so you don't get counterfeits, just like with spark plugs. I'd buy from Rockauto.com. SKF has counterfeits floating around on major online sites. Just google "SKF counterfeit wheel bearings ". SKF has a way to verify they're real.
I'm for NOS parts.
Or try to find a bearing that has been reboxed to another oem application..... ie, I was trying to find a Toyota belt tensioner bearing and was sifting through a deluge of chinesium parts for that application and oem Toyota tensioner was $$$(no service bearing)- I found a Honda motorbike application front wheel bearing kit that was Nachi and got two bearings in a motorsport Honda box for a reasonable cost- not the cheapest but cheaper than oem, I've got a spare bearing and a very good part to boot.

Careful where you buy so you don't get counterfeits, just like with spark plugs. I'd buy from Rockauto.com. SKF has counterfeits floating around on major online sites..........
It appears that RockAuto is now selling counterfeit SKF hub bearing assemblies.

NAPA is a factory authorized distributor for SKF, so the chance of counterfeits should be much lower from them. Or you can buy directly from SKF at:

SKF recently increased the warranty on their hubs to 5 years.

SKF Vehicle Aftermarket Extends Warranty on All Auto Hubs

Back