2000 Camry - Front and rear wheels bearings needed. SKF still good?

I’m going to be replacing the front and rear wheel bearings on my 2000 Camry soon. RockAuto shows both SKF and BCA available for my application, but when I cross referenced SKF’s front bearing PN over at Amazon (looking for better prices) a reviewer complained that the box that his SKF front wheel bearing/hub kit came in stated “Made in China”. Have things changed or is SKF still ok to use?

BCA’s rear wheel bearing for my ABS car doesn’t look all that great in RA’s photos… Don’t know if it’s poor casting or rust?

Attachments

• IMG_4776.jpg
    IMG_4776.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 20
SKF is still decent, they and all the others do have plants in China and Korea but the quality is still good. There is a huge difference between Made by (company) in China and made for (company) in China. Unfortunately even the big German companies like Schaeffler makers of INA and FAG have Chinese plants. China is the worlds largest automotive market so they make the components there, it sucks but we brought this on ourselves so now we have to suck it up.

SKF is still decent, they and all the others do have plants in China and Korea but the quality is still good. There is a huge difference between Made by (company) in China and made for (company) in China. Unfortunately even the big German companies like Schaeffler makers of INA and FAG have Chinese plants. China is the worlds largest automotive market so they make the components there, it sucks but we brought this on ourselves so now we have to suck it up.
I’m glad you brought up the fact that “Made by” and “Made for” states a true difference. So SKF should be a green light purchase then?

I would not use any bearing made in China. And I'd just replace the bearing itself. BCA front bearing WE60693 made in Japan for $35,

WE60693_4.jpg
You cant go by that unless you can look at all the bearings and cherry pick the one you want. Ordering online may not bring you the one in the picture. Timken (this is the one I have seen so far) has gone so far as to put the Made in China facing the hub on some part # so it cannot be seen on hub units, otherwise there is no visible COO on part or the box.
NSK has 64 production site in 13 countries, including Japan, UK, Germany, Poland, USA, Mexico, Brazil, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, India, China, South Korea

You cant go by that unless you can look at all the bearings and cherry pick the one you want. Ordering online may not bring you the one in the picture. Timken (this is the one I have seen so far) has gone so far as to put the Made in China facing the hub on some part # so it cannot be seen on hub units, otherwise there is no visible COO on part or the box.
If I ordered the bearing in the picture above and when it arrived I saw it said China, it would be going back on the sellers dime. Luckily I haven't had that issue yet. Usually the picture won't show the side saying China so I know to avoid it like this one from NSK,

NNT_510006_P04_ANG.jpg

Just make sure you don't accidentally buy "SKP" bearings when you meant to buy "SKF" or you'll get cheap Chinese bearings by mistake.
I make sure to always click on the “economy” box so it hides all of the lower end results on RA’s page just so that doesn’t happen lol.

Last edited:
Actually at this point it's a crap shot where any part will come from. You are talking about a 2000 Camry which I am not sure if original parts are still available at the dealerships. If it were me I would go with the WJB hubs from RA. They are low cost and high quality. I have discussed them many times on here and I never had an issue. Just something to consider but SKF is no doubt gonna be a good choice regardless where it was made.

Actually at this point it's a crap shot where any part will come from. You are talking about a 2000 Camry which I am not sure if original parts are still available at the dealerships. If it were me I would go with the WJB hubs from RA. They are low cost and high quality. I have discussed them many times on here and I never had an issue. Just something to consider but SKF is no doubt gonna be a good choice regardless where it was made.
Never heard of that brand but I will look into it. Toyota still produces a vast amount of parts for the Camry. The only problem is everything costs an arm and a leg if it comes in a Toyota/Lexus box..

Fake bearings are a threat to the safety of both people and equipment. They are the cause of costly downtimes and repairs; destroying productivity and incurring huge expenses. The “Stop Fake Bearings” initiative of the World Bearing Association (WBA) helps you recognize fake bearings thus helping you to protect your employees, your equipment and your reputation.

Back