Best vehicle I ever owned

Status
Not open for further replies.
My current Soul is rapidly becoming my favourite. Very reliable, and great utility.

Before that it was 1991 Corolla SR-5 coupe. My sporty, cool, 'single guy' car that was also very reliable.

My favourite is not the best vehicle we've ever owned, so I'll break those out separately:

1. Most reliable/best vehicle: Our 2002 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Thing was an absolute tank, we sold it privately after picking up the Durango. It is still being driven, it appears the new owner has done the body work (rockers were rotten) to get it through a safety. Thing ran like a million bucks with 300,000Km on it, and seems to be continuing that tradition. Bulletproof drivetrain (5.4L 2V backed with the 4R100, tow package with aux coolers and skid plates).Notable issues during ownership include front suspension bits, which were replaced with Moog, which solved that, and it launched #4 spark plug which required a lock-n-stitch insert in that hole. No overly expensive repairs, never left us stranded (drove it to Ford with the launched plug) and the best vehicle in snow we've ever owned. It was driven hard and held up incredibly well.

2. Favourite vehicle: My 2001 BMW M5. It was quirky, and repairs were on the expensive side. I traded it on the SRT Charger when I got mad at it for needing an entire driveshaft because you couldn't put U-joints in it. Held onto that for a year and flipped it for the Jeep. Jeep is my 2nd favourite, and certainly massively more practical in a two-vehicle family with three kids.

. Favourite vehicle: My 2001 BMW M5. It was quirky, and repairs were on the expensive side. I traded it on the SRT Charger when I got mad at it for needing an entire driveshaft because you couldn't put U-joints in it..

BMW still staking the U-joints? They can be sent out and rebuilt/ rebalanced for cubic $ OR you can get replacement U-Js from GMB and a handful 1/4" wrought washers. Grind off the stakes. Push out the U-joints. Push in the new. Use the washers to set the Joint in the yoke at an even depth. Tack weld the washer to set the U-J. Done. Wabbout Balance? with a little care balance can be maintained.

Originally Posted By: andyd
. Favourite vehicle: My 2001 BMW M5. It was quirky, and repairs were on the expensive side. I traded it on the SRT Charger when I got mad at it for needing an entire driveshaft because you couldn't put U-joints in it..

BMW still staking the U-joints? They can be sent out and rebuilt/ rebalanced for cubic $ OR you can get replacement U-Js from GMB and a handful 1/4" wrought washers. Grind off the stakes. Push out the U-joints. Push in the new. Use the washers to set the Joint in the yoke at an even depth. Tack weld the washer to set the U-J. Done. Wabbout Balance? with a little care balance can be maintained.

It had a strange shaft IIRC that utilized CV joints instead of U-joints. You could buy a reman shaft from Turner or spend twice that on a new one from BMW.

2001 Toyota Corolla that I still own. 4 years of autocross (04-08) and still has the original clutch that is strong at 220k miles. I bought it new for 14200, and the only big money I put in it was at 200k when I paid to have the timing chain replaced for $900 with oem pieces. It started using oil at 60k but topping it up when it got low every 1500-3000 miles has kept it running without issue. I never thought I'd own a vehicle for 17+ years, but with the low cost, it would be stupid not to.

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. It was very comfortable and a great highway cruiser but right now the Mazda CX-5 in my sig is the most comfortable and best driving vehicle I’ve owned. Since it is brand new I’ll keep it on probation for a while longer.

Apparently it is John Voight's favorite as well...the dentist...not the actor...
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: carloz
1990 Chrysler LeBaron convertible. Very fun to drive.
Did it previously belong to Jon Voight? Or maybe John Voight? What Seinfeld character said "get out of the car"(referring to LeBaron)? Can anyone recall the fate of the LeBaron?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Originally Posted By: carloz
1990 Chrysler LeBaron convertible. Very fun to drive.
Did it previously belong to Jon Voight? Or maybe John Voight? What Seinfeld character said "get out of the car"(referring to LeBaron)? Can anyone recall the fate of the LeBaron?

Haha George told Jerry to get out of the car. I can't remember the fate of the LeBaron.

2007 Toyota Yaris. Put 164,000 miles on it. No repairs. No breakdowns. No oil burning. Never needed brakes replaced. Never needed A/C recharge. No A/T issues. It had same like new power. Changed oil ever 5,000 - 7,000 miles, usually with M1 0w-20.

Best, by a large margin: 2009 F150 supercrew Lariat 4x4 5.4L V8.

Pretty much the last version of the 5.4. All the bugs have been worked out. Zero problems in 9 years and 120,000 miles. It is operated hard, driven like a race car, and never babied. Still drives perfectly and is amazingly pleasant.

I will say all my vehicles have been great, really no issues. Except an 05 tundra, brake issues that lead to lemon law.

Best has to be my 1991 toy 4x4 pickup with the 22re 4cyl and 5 speed manual. Brought new, and used hard. Up until 298K, oil changes and front brakes were all that was done. 298,000 miles I did the clutch and timing chain due to the timing chain guide breaking. 299,000 alternator went. Sold it to a guy in the neighborhood for 1100. I paid 10300.00 otd for it new, great times for 15 years. That truck never went back to the dealer after it was purchased and burned zero oil. It is what sold me on Toyota. RIP Silver Bullet.

Old school 1979 Dodge PowerWagon regular cab
More modern day … 2005 Dodge regular cab with the Hemi
I love regular cab 4WD’s - but never enough space for stuff …

I certainly enjoy the Tahoe on the highway though …

2012 Acura MDX. The fit and finish and quality and smoothness. Everything works as it should. Good power in it’s acceleration. Room for seven. [censored] fine truck. Same could be said for my old Acura RDX(first gen 2007).

Best as in driving, comfort, economy and reliability compromise; A 1987 Oldsmobile 88.

Best as in exceeded my expectations; A 1984 Vauxhall Nova sedan. Went quicker, used less fuel, more comfortable, had a HUGE trunk, and more reliable than I ever thought remotely likely.

Claud.

So far it has been my 05 Echo 3 doors.

Most reliable car I have had. Not the most thrilling to look at, but as a small efficient car it was way ahead of its competition back in the day.

Easy to park, easy on fuel, quite roomy for a subcompact.

When I bought this car, I was single and living in the city in an apartment. If I had to buy a car today it wouldn't be the one I'd choose however. Life has changed a lot since. I'm now in a mostly rural area with a wife and 3 kids. When we go out all together, we use my wife's van.

Still, I kept my Echo as a daily driver for 3 reasons : I like it, it's very reliable and it was paid for long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back