Best vehicle I ever owned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MedicalDoc
A late 1960s, 6 Volt, Citroen 2 CV. It even had a hand crank.
grin.gif

Seriously now, my 2002 Lexus GS430. Love it!!

Lada 1200 MKI saloon, with a hand crank. Best 40 quid I ever spent.

Almost bought a 2CV once. Wish I had.

Last edited:
90 ford probe GT, 2.2 turbo, bought the car for 300$ with 104K didn't run, new plugs wires cap rotor, and it's still on the road. has just over 600K. eats alternators and AC pumps. but engine and trans still good. struts, bearings all stock.
93 toyota pickup 22RE 4x4. it just wont quit.
04 dodge with cummins. 245K still so far my favorite.

I'm 27, so I've only owned a few cars, but my 2000 Cherokee XJ has been one of the best vehicles over the last 8 years of ownership.

1. I bought it with cash 8 years ago, allowing me to not have a car payment through college
2. Maintenance is cheap and easy to DIY
3. It has never left me stranded or not started over the 100,000 miles I've owned it
4. I can haul lots of stuff with it, tow a trailer
5. I've gone through snow up to the bumper, driven other people home in the snow, pulled out stuck cars
6. It was the first vehicle I started doing my own work on, and how I learned to DIY

2005 Sienna, have owned it 9 years, no major issues. It has served as a camper, road trip vehicle, has hauled many 4x8 sheets of plywood/drywall, tow vehicle, winter vehicle, people hauler and commuter.

Jack of all trades master of a few.

Very comfortable, fuel economy is acceptable for what it is, cheap to insure and plate.

Bought it when it was 4 years old with 7k miles on it. Overall best vehicle I have ever owned because it can basically do everything I need it to do and it does so economically.

I would have to say my best vehicle was a 2001 Honda Civic EX. Bought the car new and drove it till 2009 with 290,000 miles. Never had a major problem with it. Replaced normal wear items, a couple wheel bearings, alternator and cleaned EGR ports. Thats about it, Great car.

Another was my 2001 Chevy silverado pickup. Wasn't the greatest truck, motor ticked but it came in a custom factory color that my dealer used to get with different dealer bulldog z-71 badging. Added some nice accessories and Borla exhaust and this was a beautiful truck. Never saw another one in that color.
Truck was an extended cab and we traded for a crew cab. We wish we had the truck back.

Favorite: My current 2011 Silverado. I have had it 5 years, and still love it to pieces!

Most fun: Gen 1 Mazda Miata, my what a fun car to drive. I sold it because every time I drove it I found an excuse to violate several traffic laws.

Least reliable: My wife's BMW x3

1964 Oldsmobile 98&F-85
1973 Cadillac
1977 Caprice [305]
1979 Cadillac
1988 Town Car
1999 Grand Marquis [HPP package]
2005 Crown Victoria

My top 8. All vehicles were mostly dealer serviced. No major repairs done on any of them. All had over 200K miles when sold. They all did very little short tripping.

My 1996 Ford 2.0L Zetec Contour GL 5 speed manual which I still own. I ordered it Sept 1995 and received it Dec 1995. It has over 114,000 miles on it. For the last 17 years it's been garaged from Dec till mid April to avoid the winter road salt here in NJ. It looks great both inside and out. The seats are real comfortable for hours of driving. Other than normal maintenance of wearable items the only other item has been replacing the rear struts twice. It's still a blast to drive with the 5 speed manual transmission and the 2.0L Zetec, which LOVES to rev into the 6,000+ rpm range
grin.gif
. It's my poor man's BMW
lol.gif
. It's a basic non complicated car with little electronics that can break, ideal for an "old guy" that doesn't care for fancy electronic items/toys. And it's been paid for the 17 years
banana2.gif
!

Whimsey

1984 Chevy camaro
2.8 th700-4r
Replaced bendex and brushes in the starter twice. I also rebuilt the alternator. But before all that work I fixed the rust and painted it. The typical struts spings and shocks. Oh, and I replaced the trans dipstick seal, and the windshild washer fluid pump two or three times.

I bought the car in the mid 90's for $1000 with 100kkm as a winter car. I drove it almost everyday until 2009 and parked it in 2009 with 400kkm. Rust did it in.

I will never have a car or anything that reliable again.

All things considered its either the MB W123 diesel, Citroen CX Pallas or Citroen SM they were very different cars but all were absolutely outstanding.
If I had to choose one or the other today it would have to be a Citroen and choosing just one of them would be a real back and forth decision.

89 mazda 323 4 speed, valves went at 190 , drove till 220 but it had way less issues or parts replaced than my civic.

My best vehicle was probably my '00 Tundra. It lived a rough life - lots of off-road, lots of towing, a fair amount of off-road towing. 220K miles with only a broken set of spider gears and a fan clutch being abnormal maintenance required.

Last edited:
I loved driving my 89 Ford Festiva. I drove it when living in California. I am a pretty tall guy and people were amazed I could get in it so easy. The Festiva had a taller interior so it was pretty easy for me to get in and out of. The little 4 cyl engine was pretty good on gas. I got 38-40 mpg on pure gas. Then California came out with MTBE and my milage dropped to 32.

I eventually gave it to my son and he drove it for many years. He was supposed to give me first option to take it back but he sold it. Dang him. I would love to have had that car again. It was fun to drive.

Originally Posted By: Driz
Against ALL. Odds. And would you believe , My daughters 2003 Cavalier . Bought it at 105 k miles cheap and she drove that thing from 11Th grade through 4 years college and a couple more after that. Sold it at 210 ish . Nothing special and a cheap car through being a base model but I never got to know that engine at all. It did need 4 wheel bearings because some cheese head must have run out at the factory and none were there. Even my Honda Civics couldn't pull that one off. It was cheaply made and tinny though but just kept going and I sold it to another guy as a beater.

I've had three of those over the years (1984, 1993, 2002). The 2002 is still on the road and piling up miles. I had an upholstery shop make the seats way more comfortable when I had it.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
My 1996 Ford 2.0L Zetec Contour GL 5 speed manual which I still own. I ordered it Sept 1995 and received it Dec 1995. It has over 114,000 miles on it. For the last 17 years it's been garaged from Dec till mid April to avoid the winter road salt here in NJ. It looks great both inside and out. The seats are real comfortable for hours of driving. Other than normal maintenance of wearable items the only other item has been replacing the rear struts twice. It's still a blast to drive with the 5 speed manual transmission and the 2.0L Zetec, which LOVES to rev into the 6,000+ rpm range
grin.gif
. It's my poor man's BMW
lol.gif
. It's a basic non complicated car with little electronics that can break, ideal for an "old guy" that doesn't care for fancy electronic items/toys. And it's been paid for the 17 years
banana2.gif
!

Whimsey

Can you post a photo of it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back