best oil for a 2004 crown vic police interceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
cyclic, a buddy of mine is due to graduate from the NJ Academy in March, he says they are training with the 5.7 Chargers. Do you know how much better these cars are performance-wise, if any, compared to the CV? I would think with less overhang, the Charger is at least better in a slalom, and, therefore, when rapidly changing directions in the real world.

Originally Posted By: honus402
Police Vics are not exactly the same as the civilian Vic. They have a different electrical system, torque converter, exhaust, fuel pump, rear-end ratio, injectors, and suspension. The computer is programmed differently, including transmission shift points. They sit lower, handle, accelerate and stop better. No, they won't do 150. Short of a Mustang GT, Vette, 350Z or RX7/8, you'd be in trouble trying to out run one especially in a sustained run.

Not much different, there are some added and some deleted modular electrical harnesss'. Try putting a stock CV premium radio in a CVPI. You are missing two wiring harness. The converter has a high stall. Dual exhaust, same as available on the sport package LX. Both the ECM and BCM module have less programming, more simplified with different shift points for the trans. Fuel pump and injectors are the same. The only difference in the rear end is the optional traction lock that is not available on a civilian CV, I know I tried to order a stock CV with traction lock and all I could get in 04 was electronic traction control. In any given year Ford will pick two axle ratios for Police models, a lower and a highr ratio and have the option of traction lock. They actually sit about 1" inch higher than a standard CV, ground clearance for curbs probably. Stiffer shocks, larger front stabilizer and an optional rear stabilizer. Fuel is cut off at about 130 in CVPI and 108 to 115 on a standard CV depending on the year. There is a lot less body roll in a CVPI over a standard CV in corners and since the suspension redesign in 03 they handle very well for a 4000lb land yacht. With the additional cooling capacity they will sit at idle in 95 degree heat with the A/C on for hours on end and are not prone to the heat soak problems after a long hard run. I had a stock 2000 LX that would overheat while waiting for a light change on hot summer days.
But I would stick with the Ford FL820S filters, I have had the best luck at controlling start up rattle with these filters. And you can't beat the price of MC 5w20. Schaeffers 7000 is very good too, but almost twice as much. I am currently trying the Amsoil 0w20, but won't have any results until November.

The Chargers (with 5.7 L V8) are much faster, better performing in all areas. However they lose in the ergonomics department. Small Trunks, small back seat, if you read the Michigan State Police tests every year (posted online) they will tell you everything you need to know about comparing models.

Put whatever oil you like in a used cop car, they haven't been meticulously maintained there whole life, anyone who tells you one is is either full of it or had a take home car. Rare.
I would never spend money on a good oil for a used police car, put a dino 5w30 in it change it every 5k kms. 3k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back