Anyone with thoughts on the FPIS/ Taurus interceptor?

I've been doing a bit of research and am interested in buying a Ford Police Interceptor Sedan (Taurus). Probably one with 60-90k miles. From my research so far, the water pump can fail and is expensive and the PTU (AWD transfer case) needs to have it's oil changed religiously every 30k or else. Other than that, what is something to look out for?

I'm primarily looking at the 3.7 liter NA which is only available with AWD.

I was told to stay away from the 3.5L Ecoboost for some reason, although it usually is FWD which I'd prefer.

Are these 250-350k mile cars like Crown Vics and Toyotas? I've seen a few with 200k.

Looking for any useful info or to be educated on the platform in general.

Thanks.

There are two versions, the AWD and FWD. The specifications for both are below.

This 2016 AWD I had a few years ago with the 3.7 was a blast and so much more advanced over the CVs. You will love it, especially how nice and respectful other people around you drive. Letting you merge onto the highway, getting out of your way when in the left lane, etc.

I’ve considered this when I wanted a cheap AWD car (I strip any leftover police equipment and tie up any wire since they can cause all kinds of electrical issues).

But, the water pump issue and the cramped interior vs the Utility version is why I never got one.

I liked my 2016 Explorer Sport I had, but I learned afterwards that I dodged a bullet on the water pump when I traded it for a Ram pickup years back.

Go in with a plan to cover that fix down the road, whichever one you choose. And ignore the detractors since they aren’t the ones owning, driving or paying for it. 😎

This 2016 AWD I had a few years ago with the 3.7 was a blast and so much more advanced over the CVs. You will love it, especially how nice and respectful other people around you drive. Letting you merge onto the highway, getting out of your way when in the left lane, etc.

Sharp machine !

I'd never want to be seen in a cop car... I'd be too scared in today's climate. One misunderstanding...
If you're just wanting this for a personal car then I'd look for a regular one Non police version. At least you know they've most likely not been beat on as hard for tens of thousands of miles. But you do as you think is best.

My answer is get the more powerful version of a non police car & work with a tuner to add even more power. Cold Air intake, exhaust, etc. What do you think?

I get you but I'm a fan of the Police package one, I just like how it looks more than the SHO.

Would examples from the early '90's and 2016-2018 be comparable?
No, not at all.
I'm really looking for info on whether they are decently made, relativley reliable cars and what are the pros/cons of the 3.7 NA AWD vs 3.5 Ecoboost FWD drivetrains.

That's like comparing your experiences with early 1990's Impalas to a 2020 Impala. Same model name but totally different car with a complete redesign, powertrain, etc

I've been a Ford Fan Boy for ever, But I don't like the idea of an internal water pump. Nor do I like the way they tucked the PTU in so close to the hot exhaust system. They could have done better I think. Other than that, I would love to own a Taurus.

I've been a Ford Fan Boy for ever, But I don't like the idea of an internal water pump. Nor do I like the way they tucked the PTU in so close to the hot exhaust system. They could have done better I think. Other than that, I would love to own a Taurus.
What about the 3.5 FWD ones?

Here is the common stuff:
-Water pump ($1500-2500) when it goes.
-PTU can fail but the good news is they do put a drain plug in the police models so you can drain and pump new fluid in. The police models as well as the ecoboost models will have a water cooled PTU to extend life.
-Rear wheel bearings last about 50K or so, less if aftermarket.
-Rear diff will need shaft seals at some point.
-Rear calipers seem to seize up more than other cars we have owned.
-Rear seat is extremely uncomfortable in the police models.

Other than that these are great cars in my opinion. Fun to drive, not as legendary as a crown vic but they can last.....

ALL the V6 engines have the internal time bomb water pump, 3.5, 3.5T, and 3.7, they all do it, and that's in addition to all the other transverse V6 issues.

There was also a fwd 2.0 ecoboost version.

This would be the best version to get. Always opt for the 4-cylinder when it's that or a V6.

Ford called this 2.0T version the Special Service Police Sedan.

I get you but I'm a fan of the Police package one, I just like how it looks more than the SHO.

the police parts are probably interchangeable with the civilian car. You can definitely swap the wheels :unsure:

Surprised they didn't take the lights out.

Back