Best High Mileage Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ram02
Castrol Edge HM

Been looking for UOA on it. Just noticed it on shelves after changing to GTX HM in Santa Fe. Wonder if it has around the same Moly/Boron/Titanium content as regular Edge with the added seal conditioners. $22.97 is a good price point compared to other Full syn HM oils($2-3 bucks cheaper). Might be switching back over to Edge HM next OC.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
I use a quality synthetic already and don't know I'll ever see the need for high mileage blend. High mileage blend sounds like a marketing scheme. lol

Except 90% of the "Synthetics" out there are really blends too ... Only a few are even close to the true Euro standard of 100% Synthetic. Say Motul 300V, which is way out the average Joe's price range ...

That's OK, because it's tough to get most add paks to blend will with full synthetics. They often need a dino oil as a carrier. So what we get USA wise is mostly synthetic labeled as "Synthetic", mostly dino with some synthetic labeled as "Blend" and then things like Iso-Syn, etc ...

Plus, I have never been able to find a professional paper that describes synthetic oil offering better actual lubrication that good dino oils ... They have better heat stability, but many cars and trucks keep the oil near block temp, so that is not a real thing for many folks.

Picking an oil is trickier than just buying "synthetic" and thinking all bases are covered ...

As far as HM oils go, M1 HM and PPHM get good marks. But Maxlife has quite a following around here. So I'd think that some experimentation is required to find the one best suited to your engine and situation ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back