Mobil ow40,10w30HM or EP which cleans best!?

I thought it was generally agreed that Group 1 conventional and Group 5 Ester base stocks have the best cleaning properties.
Whereas Group 3 and PAO are the worst.
You can have polar and non-polar esters (Gr 5).

Gr3+ performs more like PAO whereas Gr3 has better solvency.

I think Gr2 has good solvency and Gr1 is not used today but I may be wrong. @OVERKILL had some data from Chevron on Gr 2 EHC.

You can have polar and non-polar esters (Gr 5).

Gr3+ performs more like PAO whereas Gr3 has better solvency.

I think Gr2 has good solvency and Gr1 is not used today but I may be wrong. @OVERKILL had some data from Chevron on Gr 2 EHC.
Group 1 is rare in the US but there are still loads of Group 1 conventional oils being sold across the world.

Here in Spain i can still easily get Group 1 15W40 HDEOs, old SL/ CI-4 / E7 spec.

One i've used and recommended to friends is Shell Rimula R4X.
From my experiencia it cleans rather well doing short oci's.

So would me using a 0w40 in a 10w 30 application be okay? Might not lubricate or go through engine correctly? I'm planning on running Mobil 10w30 extended. Guard oil change coming soon . It advertised clean up existing sludge in one oil change. Most other commercial oils don't or do not advertise that,just existing deposits sludge not old stuff.

So would me using a 0w40 in a 10w 30 application be okay? Might not lubricate or go through engine correctly? I'm planning on running Mobil 10w30 extended. Guard oil change coming soon . It advertised clean up existing sludge in one oil change. Most other commercial oils don't or do not advertise that,just existing deposits sludge not old stuff.
I think OVERKILL and others have already mentioned M1 0w40. Are you waiting on a invitation or….
I’m using some M1 0w40 in a 09’ Focus with 4cyl and no issues. Please, please don’t overthink this.

Your engine will not act differently using M1 0w40 compared to 10w30, unless the temperature is significantly below zero F at startup.

The new triple action formula has done something to reduce consumption in my altima. It always had about a quart go missing after 3000 miles whether it was m1 annual protection or the old formula m1 EP or valvolin advanced synthetic. But after 3, 3500 mile OCIs with triple action m1 EP i saw consumption slowly decrease to 1/4 of a quart after 4500 miles on the 4th OCI. Who know what it was doing but im not complaining
Something as simple as increased viscosity can reduce consumption.

Completely different than what ANs & polar esters will accomplish.

And somebody just posted impressive results over a long period of time/miles with once popular - now mocked bRotella T6 LoL …
Engine was clean …

Take a look at the viscosities of PP 5w30 and Pennz Euro L 5w30. They’re both 5w30s, but the Euro L is nearly 20% more viscous at 100*C. That’s not inconsequential; maybe the two oils you used are similar to this example. 👍🏻
M1 AP is 11.7@100c
M1 triple action is 10.8@100c
M1 ep triple action+ is 10.15@100c

How about running any SP rated synthetic oil for short OCI's of 2,500 miles with a new oil filter done a few times ?

How about running any SP rated synthetic oil for short OCI's of 2,500 miles with a new oil filter done a few times ?
Serious question, what do you think this will accomplish other than burning money at an even faster rate? If the oil that’s used doesn’t have alkylated napthalenes and/or polar esters, changing the oil more frequently isn’t going to accomplish anything other than lightening your wallet in a more-rapid fashion.

That would be cool to know! I believe the new triple action formula oils use a good chunk of ANs
I’d like to know if they use ANs as well… I think right now it’s just a guess, I don’t think the PDS or SDS mention it from what’s been posted here.

@MolaKule or @Tom NJ is there any way we can test for the presence of ANs with something less than FTIR?

Gas chromatography can easily see and measure ANs when properly run and interpreted. It can be expensive however. Based on some GC graphs I have seen from ASTM D6417 for Simulated Distillation, which is an optional test for volatility in GF-6, this method should show AN, as well as PAO and some esters. Quantifying these components could be delicate but can be reasonably estimated if one has the GC graph generated by the test.

Last edited:
Back