Best engine design for a motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see alot of used VF750 Magna's and Sabres with 40+ thousand, I'll never get there with my two at 9&14k, but your right, by now we should see really high mileage individuals and we don't.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I see alot of used VF750 Magna's and Sabres with 40+ thousand, I'll never get there with my two at 9&14k, but your right, by now we should see really high mileage individuals and we don't.

Even though they have 40K+ mileage, I'll guarantee you that unless they have been upgraded -- they have trashed cams.

You're right -- you don't see any over 100k miles.

I checked out the site for the "Drysdale V8". Kind of a neat idea but seemingly complex. From the info provided, it appears that the great preponderance of components are from the big four Japanese manufacturers. Having access to readily available parts is a good idea. Doesn't seem to be too much built in house. Crankcase, crankshaft and frame seem to be the major non-production components.

There's another fairly prominent two stroke manufacturer in Australia that do some remarkable things with old Yamaha RZ/Banshee engines, TSS (Two Stroke Shop), http://www.twostrokeshop.com/

Got to hand it to the Aussies for going their own way when it comes to building bikes. No dogs in their stables....

I listened to the sound bite. Not a lot different than any other high revving multi.
Kind of reminded me of the the sound of the Valkyrie, which isn't that much of a high revving machine but it does rev up very quickly.

Although I love 2-strokes as much as the next guy, I think their day is gone as even the motocross bikes no longer use them.

It is sad, considering all the great 2-strokes bikes of the past --

TZ750
RG500
Mach III & IV
GT750 "Water Buffalo"
and more

Originally Posted By: Zedhed
Although I love 2-strokes as much as the next guy, I think their day is gone as even the motocross bikes no longer use them.

TZ750
RG500
Mach III & IV
GT750 "Water Buffalo"
and more

I wouldn't say that all is lost. Bombardier have recently introduced their E-Tek 800 cc. two stroke engine in their snow machines. They're better in almost every respect than the four stroke competition. Lighter, more power, excellent fuel consumption, miserly oil consumption, easier maintenance. You should check it out.

That's a great site.

Only rode bike I ever rode was an RG250, all of 10 mins, after 2 hours on a YZ100.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

TZ750
RG500
Mach III & IV
GT750 "Water Buffalo"
and more

I wouldn't say that all is lost. Bombardier have recently introduced their E-Tek 800 cc. two stroke engine in their snow machines. They're better in almost every respect than the four stroke competition. Lighter, more power, excellent fuel consumption, miserly oil consumption, easier maintenance. You should check it out.

Last time I checked, snowmobiles aren't legal to ride on the street...

TZ750
RG500
Mach III & IV
GT750 "Water Buffalo"
and more

True.

The reason for bringing snowmobiles into the discussion was to acknowledge the fact that very capable and potentially EPA acceptable two stroke engines are available.

Hopefully, one day, a light, powerful, responsive two stroke engine will find it's way into a motorcycle.

They are in some towns in Canada.

Bombardier have recently introduced their E-Tek 800 cc. two stroke engine in their snow machines. They're better in almost every respect than the four stroke competition. Lighter, more power, excellent fuel consumption, miserly oil consumption, easier maintenance.

The plumbing that the stratified charge direct injected 2 stroke E-Tec requires is nasty. Have you looked under the cowling of a Skidoo sled or the cover of an Evinrude? I wouldn't want a motorcycle engine with all those wires, tubes, and hoses.

Originally Posted By: bigbird_1
Bombardier have recently introduced their E-Tek 800 cc. two stroke engine in their snow machines. They're better in almost every respect than the four stroke competition. Lighter, more power, excellent fuel consumption, miserly oil consumption, easier maintenance.

The plumbing that the stratified charge direct injected 2 stroke E-Tec requires is nasty. Have you looked under the cowling of a Skidoo sled or the cover of an Evinrude? I wouldn't want a motorcycle engine with all those wires, tubes, and hoses.

As with all technologies, ways can be found to incorporate them into new applications.

I have to admit that expecting to see a modern E Tec engine in a motorcycle is wishful thinking. Particularly when Rotax make excellent four stroke motorcycle engines right now.

I have to admit that expecting to see a modern E Tec engine in a motorcycle is wishful thinking. Particularly when Rotax make excellent four stroke motorcycle engines right now.

Only Rotax? I hope there are some others out there making good 4-stroke motorcycle engines like Yamaha, Honda, BMW, Aprilia, Ducati, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Victory, KTM, and MV.

Only Rotax? I hope there are some others out there making good 4-stroke motorcycle engines like Yamaha, Honda, BMW, Aprilia, Ducati, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Victory, KTM, and MV.

I'm talking about engines being made by BRP.

You left out Triumph! I think their Triple engine is the best street engine out there. ( Possibly biased opinion)

I just started reading this forum with interest, good entries and all.

But no mention of my favorite. +1 on the Triumph Triple inline engine. I have used the 1050(Sprint ST, 125 hp) and the 2300(Rocket III, 140 hp)engines with great success. Definitely a fuel injection fan.

I have owned a lot of the others with success also, but the sound and performance from the triples or trumpets are something to be admired. Not the fastest, but still peppy.

Believe it or not, Triumph designed a inline (4) cylinder engine, that would do 200 m.p.h. stock, but didn't think it would sell. LOL The bike looked like a Sprint, but had a bigger air scoop in the fairing.

My second favorite is the Victory 100 cubic inch V Twin air and oil cooled engine. For the most part, just add oil and gas.

Had it in a Hammer, with a six speed tranny. Strong and peppy for a V twin. Built like a tank.

Talking about 2 strokes with power, how about the old Kawasaki triples. A friend of mine still builds them for racing. Pretty strong and a lot of pep.

Somebody should start remanufacturing a triple 2-stroke again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Redline955

You left out Triumph! I think their Triple engine is the best street engine out there. ( Possibly biased opinion)

Sorry, Triumph too. Great bikes (old and new)

Don't leave out the most desirable American V-Twin!

Originally Posted By: SWSportsman

The Briggs and Stratton Vanguard? Undoubtabley one of the best OPE engines out there.

Originally Posted By: SWSportsman

The Briggs and Stratton Vanguard? Undoubtabley one of the best OPE engines out there.

B&S..."undoubtabley" great for canadian motorcyclists. Is that what Yamaha used in those RD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back