Bear chases terrified commuter down Siberian street

The video started for me at about :38 and I thought the title was incorrect and should have read, "Terrified bear tried to get away from traffic". Then I backed the video up to the start and now it's much clearer that why the title is appropriate. Wow, I'd have been terrified too.

Idiot is just standing there talking on the phone right next to the bear. It would be Darwinism at it's finest if he was eaten.
Given that he wasn’t eaten - and handled the situation just fine - it would be safe to assume Siberian Russians don’t drink Starbucks coffee for breakfast.

That's a Eurasian brown bear. It looks really fat and likely eats lots of scraps found in garbage. I wouldn't even say it was particularly aggressive - just territorial. If it was serious it got right next to the guy and didn't even bite or claw him. The bear just bumped him with his snout. If it really wanted to do something, it could sprint up to 40 MPH and do some serious damage.

Given that he wasn’t eaten - and handled the situation just fine - it would be safe to assume Siberian Russians don’t drink Starbucks coffee for breakfast.
Didn't handle situation fine at all, was one slip away from needing a new face. If this bear was domesticated a bit from being around people already, might have just been a scare tactic but if it was spending most of its time in the wilderness, I wouldn't be that guy thinking his phone is his salvation. A lot less powerful animals can still mess you up if you're half unconscious from slipping on ice and can't get back up.

We had lots of bears up where we used to live at our Marina. I remember a couple times walking out of the gates and literally right into a bear. We never got chased though thankfully...

Didn't handle situation fine at all, was one slip away from needing a new face. If this bear was domesticated a bit from being around people already, might have just been a scare tactic but if it was spending most of its time in the wilderness, I wouldn't be that guy thinking his phone is his salvation. A lot less powerful animals can still mess you up if you're half unconscious from slipping on ice and can't get back up.

The bear didn’t do anything particularly aggressive. Definitely not since there was not attempt to bit or slash.

But yeah - it was plenty powerful. I heard of an emaciated grizzly near Yellowstone that killed someone in a tent. That is extremely rare predatory behavior. But it was smaller than its targets. Even an adult American black bear is strong enough to kill almost anyone, even if it’s instincts are to be timid around people.

Back