2014 Highlander front hub and bearing replacement.

Seriously Toyota.

Looks like quite a fiasco, leave it up to them to mess up a very easy maintenance item.

How about a simple bolt-in assembly and not require breaking down the front suspension to press out a bearing, also compromising the alignment...what a joke.

I guess a bearing is all that's needed, and a press...lol. What aftermarket bearings have people used with good success?

Safe bet OE is the way to go but I want to speculate the big name bearings are just as good. The knuckle should be reusable for the most part.

Don’t know what it is like for this Highlander, but aren’t most FWD using pressed in wheel bearings? huge nuisance but when everyone else is doing it…

Don’t know what it is like for this Highlander, but aren’t most FWD using pressed in wheel bearings? huge nuisance but when everyone else is doing it…
I've changed numerous hub and bearings, and they usually bolt up to the steering knuckle, quick and painless.

My first bout with this style.

If everyone else is doing it this way, why "re-invent the wheel"

Aside for OE, National or Timken is all I will use unless I literally have no choice but to go with another brand. Press in wheel bearings are nothing new and it is not Toyota specific either.

Don’t blame you, am not looking forward to when my Camry eats a bearing. But my prior Jetta had pressed in bearings too. Maybe my impression is wrong?

What ones have you seen bolt in?

Press in style have been around a lot longer than bolt in units. OTC makes a hub/bearing press kit that you can use right on the car, perhaps your local parts store has one to rent or borrow?
Bolt in can be a real headache too, rear hubs on Subaru are **** near impossible to do without ruining the backing plate.

I've changed numerous hub and bearings, and they usually bolt up to the steering knuckle, quick and painless.

My first bout with this style.

If everyone else is doing it this way, why "re-invent the wheel"
I think pressed-in front wheel bearings are normal for FWD.

Front wheel bearings on a RWD vehicle are much easier.

Ok, well, I stand corrected....I guess I have lucked into only dealing with front bolt-in hub and bearings.

I probably won't get the loaded knuckles, thanks for the tips....just too $$$ for replacing the worn part which is the bearing. All the other wear items aren't attached.

I'm with you @i6pwr. Given a choice, I'd go with a bolt on hub assembly over press-in bearing to knuckle, but even the bolt ons can get hopelessly corroded into place by various means.

Last edited:
Reactions: D60
I can tell you right now: it doesn't. I have that tool, and it worked maybe once on a bearing that wasn't very stuck. Don't waste your money.
Have you used the Lisle 40100 hub remover? It uses the press principal rather than leverage and brute force.

My only concern would be finding something strong enough on the hub to press against. I would have to break an ear off the hub.

A few years ago I did a rear wheel bearing on our Mazda5, and it come off fine without special tools.

Have you used the Lisle 40100 hub remover? It uses the press principal rather than leverage and brute force.

My only concern would be finding something strong enough on the hub to press against. I would have to break an ear off the hub.

A few years ago I did a rear wheel bearing on our Mazda5, and it come off fine without special tools.

You're talking the type that uses a threaded rod that's forced against some flat part of the knuckle? Not a chance. In MN, that would do nothing but damage components.

Back