Base model vs fully loaded truck

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

I would probably have beaten them to death with my bare hands for that.

Just one reason I have no children.

I was mad for all of 2 minutes, they're just so cute I can't stay mad at them
lol.gif
I no longer leave screw drivers out however.

Originally Posted by dareo

as to the discussion of televisions on payments: come on guys you can't afford it if you cant pay cash for a TV or other plug in house hold appliance. A vehicle costing 10s of thousands of dollars with a 20 year lifespan is certainly appropriate to finance.

I agree, IF you're paying interest on it. If you aren't, why not spread it out if that's what you want to do?

Last edited:

We just had one kid, and he knew that the two unforgivable sins were:

1. Mess with Dad's car
2. Mess with Dad's HTS.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

as to the discussion of televisions on payments: come on guys you can't afford it if you cant pay cash for a TV or other plug in house hold appliance. A vehicle costing 10s of thousands of dollars with a 20 year lifespan is certainly appropriate to finance.

I agree, IF you're paying interest on it. If you aren't, why not spread it out if that's what you want to do?

Exactly; I've bought everything from TVs to ZTR mowers on 0% interest plans- and I have always paid them off on time or-more usually-a few months early.

Okay, i will concede that consumer financing plans offered at 0% interest and not at the expense of other promotions are a good deal. I've taken them on in the past myself. But as soon as you do, you admitted you don't have or don't want to spend the money for that item today.

I would hope that most parents realize that kids will make mistakes. Hopefully that's the most serious transgression they perpetrate.

It probably doesn't rise to the level of justifiable murder...

I believe my mother's nearly fully loaded 2020 tacoma was about 10-12% off, was purchased pre crisis, in Utah, and without me negotiating the deal. So i would totally believe 5k of discount room in most Tacomas. Forget about the 0% thing. It usually costs you other discounts/rebates and ends up being about the same price as a great credit union loan. 0% may actually have a high cost. 2.5% is basically free money. Also, do not buy a Tacoma for gas mileage. Buy it for the size. If you want the easy driving easy parking size then go for it. Most half tons will match or nearly match fuel economy to a Tacoma but are definitely larger to drive around every day. I'm currently daily driving my big Sierra 1500 with a lift and you gotta really center it in parking space to have any kind of room to get in/out.

One of the dealers got back to me with a left over 2019 SR5 AC 2.7 4wd with the exact features I want for $30,900(after $2,250 rebate). Glad I waited and didn't jump on the TRD Sport.

Assuming I take the rebate and negotiate down to $27,500, up to 5% interest, and get $13k for my Outback, interest is gonna $1600 or less over 48 months. Total Cost $30,310

If I take the 0%/60mo deal and negotiate down to 28k, with $13k on the outback, totals $29,204 So it's actually cheaper to take 0% for me but that's assuming they'll negotiate and give 13k on trade.

I kinda want to wait a few months at this point to see what's available then. Been really eyeing the Jeep Gladiator but all local stock are optioned past $40k. Really don't think I'll be able to negotiate down to $35k, but worth a shot if this taco deal doesn't go through. Can I spend the money? yes. Do I want to after being payment free? no. at least not for now.

Not expecting good fuel economy but I'll take what I can get. I can barely fit a half ton in my driveway. Usually get annoyed at how big they are and the truck ends up sitting. Seen on both my Silverado 1500 and Express 2500.

Okay, i will concede that consumer financing plans offered at 0% interest and not at the expense of other promotions are a good deal. I've taken them on in the past myself. But as soon as you do, you admitted you don't have or don't want to spend the money for that item today.

I could pay cash for an 85" Samsung Q950TS; but I'd rather take 0% financing on a 75" TV that cost @75% less.
Go figure.

Originally Posted by MCompact

I could pay cash for an 85" Samsung Q950TS; but I'd rather take 0% financing on a 75" TV that cost @75% less.
Go figure.

Then you are not willing to part with the cash now; something to think about before buying. If your willing to buy on terms but not cash are you really wanting to buy it?? The psychology of 0% interest is interesting. I was considering a giant TV but ended up with a tiny little 65" OLED for $1500 from ebay. Its more than good enough. The content just gets stretched out on larger TVs anyway. True 8k not coming anytime soon.

Originally Posted by avacado11

I believe my mother's nearly fully loaded 2020 tacoma was about 10-12% off, was purchased pre crisis, in Utah, and without me negotiating the deal. So i would totally believe 5k of discount room in most Tacomas. Forget about the 0% thing. It usually costs you other discounts/rebates and ends up being about the same price as a great credit union loan. 0% may actually have a high cost. 2.5% is basically free money. Also, do not buy a Tacoma for gas mileage. Buy it for the size. If you want the easy driving easy parking size then go for it. Most half tons will match or nearly match fuel economy to a Tacoma but are definitely larger to drive around every day. I'm currently daily driving my big Sierra 1500 with a lift and you gotta really center it in parking space to have any kind of room to get in/out.

One of the dealers got back to me with a left over 2019 SR5 AC 2.7 4wd with the exact features I want for $30,900(after $2,250 rebate). Glad I waited and didn't jump on the TRD Sport.

Assuming I take the rebate and negotiate down to $27,500, up to 5% interest, and get $13k for my Outback, interest is gonna $1600 or less over 48 months. Total Cost $30,310

If I take the 0%/60mo deal and negotiate down to 28k, with $13k on the outback, totals $29,204 So it's actually cheaper to take 0% for me but that's assuming they'll negotiate and give 13k on trade.

I kinda want to wait a few months at this point to see what's available then. Been really eyeing the Jeep Gladiator but all local stock are optioned past $40k. Really don't think I'll be able to negotiate down to $35k, but worth a shot if this taco deal doesn't go through. Can I spend the money? yes. Do I want to after being payment free? no. at least not for now.

Not expecting good fuel economy but I'll take what I can get. I can barely fit a half ton in my driveway. Usually get annoyed at how big they are and the truck ends up sitting. Seen on both my Silverado 1500 and Express 2500.

I'm sure the 2.7 L4 engine and the 6AT trans will really last and be reliable - but due to overall wt. (chassis, body + 4WD system) it WILL be rather slow. I know the vehicle in 2019 was not avail with a manual trans (and the manual would likely be slower still) - but at least the manual is likely smooth,.may keep you entertained... with something to do. YMMV.... Nissan equiv. MAY be avail. in manual?

Last edited:

Then you are not willing to part with the cash now; something to think about before buying. If your willing to buy on terms but not cash are you really wanting to buy it?? The psychology of 0% interest is interesting. I was considering a giant TV but ended up with a tiny little 65" OLED for $1500 from ebay. Its more than good enough. The content just gets stretched out on larger TVs anyway. True 8k not coming anytime soon.

I'm conflicted, true. Ask me again after I go look at the F82 I found...
19.gif

I purchase everything on credit to maintain my credit score as I don't have a mortgage or car notes. It's a screwed up system in my opinion.

The 2.7 Ltr is a very capable and reliable motor. I have that engine in my 2003 with 220,000 miles on it. I love driving that truck around when I get the chance even after 17 years of ownership. If you can get a decent deal on a Tacoma grab it. Locally they have been selling fairly quick.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

I said I was gonna keep my Outback for at least 6-7 years when I brought it, but here we are 3 years later. If there wasn't the finance deal I would have never batted an eye at a new truck.

That's part of the reason I'm not even going to look...ok, maybe I'll take just a peak at what may be some great deals over the next month or so.
13.gif
I do NOT want a payment again either, though. I just think of all the goodies I can buy instead. For some cars, ONE or 1.5 payments will get you a PS5 when it comes out; two payments a nice 4K LCD Tv (3-6 for a large OLED); a 3-6 payments will get you a modest home theater setup, etc.

I dream of having a nice TV. Once the kids are older though... a week after I bought my new curved 55" they took a screw driver to it
mad.gif

Take heart. I have. Not owned a TV in many years.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

I purchase everything on credit to maintain my credit score as I don't have a mortgage or car notes. It's a screwed up system in my opinion.

I put everything on credit as well, as I have no consumer debt either. I have a budget app that lets me track my spending in real time across several categories. At the beginning of the month I only have to make a few online payments out of my bank account to pay everything off in full.

I put everything on credit as well, as I have no consumer debt either. I have a budget app that lets me track my spending in real time across several categories. At the beginning of the month I only have to make a few online payments out of my bank account to pay everything off in full.

Does that really count these days, putting it all on the credit card--but not carrying any balance? I guess it shows a record.

I only ask because I can't think of anyone I know who actually pays "cash" for everything. I'm sure someone in my circle does, but just about everyone credit cards it. [How many carry a balance I have no idea.]

Originally Posted by supton

Does that really count these days, putting it all on the credit card--but not carrying any balance? I guess it shows a record.

I only ask because I can't think of anyone I know who actually pays "cash" for everything. I'm sure someone in my circle does, but just about everyone credit cards it. [How many carry a balance I have no idea.]

Yes it will work to heighten your score. I know a few that pay literal cash for everything out of an envelope, and they're my peers in their mid 20's too which says a lot. I put everything on a credit card and it gets paid off monthly, just to score some airline miles out of the purchases. That being said, I haven't ever had a payment on anything but a house, and I understand the logic of "keep the money in the bank" for investment in growth opportunities, but how many people actuallly follow through with that? For me, at the end of the day, I want to own my stuff when I buy it and it's more an issue of financial freedom...I'm not a fan of being slave to the lender.

I said I was gonna keep my Outback for at least 6-7 years when I brought it, but here we are 3 years later. If there wasn't the finance deal I would have never batted an eye at a new truck.

That's part of the reason I'm not even going to look...ok, maybe I'll take just a peak at what may be some great deals over the next month or so.
13.gif
I do NOT want a payment again either, though. I just think of all the goodies I can buy instead. For some cars, ONE or 1.5 payments will get you a PS5 when it comes out; two payments a nice 4K LCD Tv (3-6 for a large OLED); a 3-6 payments will get you a modest home theater setup, etc.

I dream of having a nice TV. Once the kids are older though... a week after I bought my new curved 55" they took a screw driver to it
mad.gif

My 1 year-old daughter pokes at our living room 60", 6 year-old, 1080P TV with her miniature cooking utensils every so often. The kids' play area is behind my recliner, in the opposite corner of the living room to the TV. Luckily both of my kids are mostly good about not continuing to do bad things after being yelled at a few times. My daughter does, however, LOVE electronics. She can't help but grab the remote controllers and push all of the buttons no matter how many times I take it away and tell her, "no...bad baby". Those are her two favorite words now: "bad baby". She says it every time she brings me a remote control I never asked for...
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Amkeer
The 2.7 Ltr is a very capable and reliable motor. I have that engine in my 2003 with 220,000 miles on it. I love driving that truck around when I get the chance even after 17 years of ownership. If you can get a decent deal on a Tacoma grab it. Locally they have been selling fairly quick.

The 2.7 is fine for flatter areas where you're at, but in a mountainous region like where I live it's no bueno. You're not going up an 8% grade without revving the snot out of it or holding up traffic. Add in the wight of the 4wd equipment and it's even worse...

Exactly; I've bought everything from TVs to ZTR mowers on 0% interest plans- and I have always paid them off on time or-more usually-a few months early.

I'll third that. I will take advantage of 0% interest ANYTHING, so long as it doesn't affect the overall deal. Some of you posting are neglecting the fact that we're not idiots. Some/many of us who are taking advantage of 0% loans are doing so because it makes sense to do so. I can only hope that everyone here is an adult and can do basic math (or input info into an online calculator) to determine what a good deal is.

I do think that anyone with a loan should have enough in savings to cover an extended period of payments, should they lose their job. That falls into the normal, "have six months of rainy-day-fund" category (without touching your retirement or other savings.) I've recently had a bad go of things and having that rainy-day-fund was crucial to my mental well-being and the health of my marriage. I even have enough to get me through COVID, should things get really bad.

I'll also say that, if he was referring to my post, he may have misunderstood what I meant. I was touting one of the benefits of owning a used vehicle with NO car payments: you can spend the money that you WOULD HAVE spent on payments for whatever you like. If you've got plenty of savings and have hobbies, do that; if you like electronics; do that; if you like cars, wait, nevermind!
13.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6

13.gif

mad.gif

Take heart. I have. Not owned a TV in many years.

I find myself reading, listening to the radio and doing other things 10-50X more than watching TV. My wife loves to watch her shows and my kids stream their favorite PBS/Netflix/etc. show on their old iPad Mini 1 that we got for free from family.

Back