Base model vs fully loaded truck

Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by Amkeer
The 2.7 Ltr is a very capable and reliable motor. I have that engine in my 2003 with 220,000 miles on it. I love driving that truck around when I get the chance even after 17 years of ownership. If you can get a decent deal on a Tacoma grab it. Locally they have been selling fairly quick.

The 2.7 is fine for flatter areas where you're at, but in a mountainous region like where I live it's no bueno. You're not going up an 8% grade without revving the snot out of it or holding up traffic. Add in the wight of the 4wd equipment and it's even worse...

Is that an awful thing? It's not a diesel after all.

Rumor has it, there's a few on this board (of all places!) who like high rev'ing engines. This engine... wouldn't qualify. But it's a truck engine, it's ok to go off-idle.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
No talk of Ford ranger or GMC Canyon?

Should be some deals there.

Too new for deals? Too early for them to discount (have to pay off any new tooling costs)? Maybe their sales haven't tanked.

Love watching videos of the Colorado ZR2 diesel up in Canada … true off-road capability …

Originally Posted by gathermewool

I find myself reading, listening to the radio and doing other things 10-50X more than watching TV. My wife loves to watch her shows and my kids stream their favorite PBS/Netflix/etc. show on their old iPad Mini 1 that we got for free from family.

I like to read; I subscribe to 6 car magazines and read a novel every week or so. That said, I finally put a decent HTS together about 12 years ago(and used the AVR and BD player from my old system in my basement gaming system). My son and I rarely go to movies at the theater unless they are something we really want to see ASAP(Bond, MCU, Monsterverse, car focused) because my HTS sounds better than 95% of the theaters near us- plus there are no annoying audiences members talking or texting.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by gathermewool

I find myself reading, listening to the radio and doing other things 10-50X more than watching TV. My wife loves to watch her shows and my kids stream their favorite PBS/Netflix/etc. show on their old iPad Mini 1 that we got for free from family.

I like to read; I subscribe to 6 car magazines and read a novel every week or so. That said, I finally put a decent HTS together about 12 years ago(and used the AVR and BD player from my old system in my basement gaming system). My son and I rarely go to movies at the theater unless they are something we really want to see ASAP(Bond, MCU, Monsterverse, car focused) because my HTS sounds better than 95% of the theaters near us- plus there are no annoying audiences members talking or texting.

11.gif

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by Amkeer
The 2.7 Ltr is a very capable and reliable motor. I have that engine in my 2003 with 220,000 miles on it. I love driving that truck around when I get the chance even after 17 years of ownership. If you can get a decent deal on a Tacoma grab it. Locally they have been selling fairly quick.

The 2.7 is fine for flatter areas where you're at, but in a mountainous region like where I live it's no bueno. You're not going up an 8% grade without revving the snot out of it or holding up traffic. Add in the wight of the 4wd equipment and it's even worse...

Is that an awful thing? It's not a diesel after all.

Rumor has it, there's a few on this board (of all places!) who like high rev'ing engines. This engine... wouldn't qualify. But it's a truck engine, it's ok to go off-idle.

We had a 2018 Toyota Hiace highroof campervan in Australia with the 2.7 and matched to the 6 speed auto, it was just fine. Yes going up a 8-10% grade required some revs as for some reason the trans didn't backshift to 4th gear, always 5th to 3rd, but it would still do 55mph up almost any hill we came across. The engine liked to rev and had a reasonably "tuned up" sound which was fine as in a hiace you are sitting on the engine. It did like gas, and got around 19-20mpg but a highroof camper top doesn't help of course.
My daily drive was 5 miles up a 10% pass, sure I can see getting a bit more displacement or a turbo. But for where I live, the 2.7 would be fine.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

I would probably have beaten them to death with my bare hands for that.

Just one reason I have no children.

We just had one kid, and he knew that the two unforgivable sins were:

1. Mess with Dad's car
2. Mess with Dad's HTS.

I despise children with a white-hot passion and knew by age 12 that the best thing I could possibly do for a child would be taking out a big life insurance policy and then stepping in front of a train. I would prefer death to fatherhood.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by clinebarger

I purchase everything on credit to maintain my credit score as I don't have a mortgage or car notes. It's a screwed up system in my opinion.

I put everything on credit as well, as I have no consumer debt either. I have a budget app that lets me track my spending in real time across several categories. At the beginning of the month I only have to make a few online payments out of my bank account to pay everything off in full.

Does that really count these days, putting it all on the credit card--but not carrying any balance? I guess it shows a record.

I only ask because I can't think of anyone I know who actually pays "cash" for everything. I'm sure someone in my circle does, but just about everyone credit cards it. [How many carry a balance I have no idea.]

Does for me.....Once I paid off the house, I stopped using credit for a couple years & my credit score took a nose dive. My score really improved after I built my shop & opened my business running @ 80 grand through loans & credit cards then promptly paying them off within 6 months. Now it's dropping 2-3 points a month after being 820+.
Kinda sickening really.....To get penalized for being financially responsible but rewarded for spending money like a drunken sailor! For all they knew I could have been blowing that money on crack & hookers.

FYI, a friend in the banking industry told me that those of us who don't carry a credit card balance are known as "Deadbeats." They don't make money off Deadbeats unless they charge over $2000/month to an individual card.

FYI, a friend in the banking industry calls those of us who don't carry a credit card balance "Deadbeats." They don't make money off Deadbeats unless they charge over $2000/month to an individual card.

I'm a deadbeat then. I pay for almost everything with the Citi/Costco card.
I don't carry a balance, ever. Pay it every week. I get back over $1000 each year on things I normally buy.

I like Dave Ramsey but this is where I differ. If I can do this , they are paying me. They make money on those that are undiciplined. But if you are disciplined, why not?

Last edited:
Did you mean that you pay it every month? I don't see why you'd pay the balance weekly as there's no interest charges if paid monthly unless it just helps your budgeting.

I'm not a deadbeat as I charge enough that the card company makes something on the transaction fees and annual fee but the rewards/cash back and lack of interest probably doesn't make them much.

ONLY on BITOG can a thread start about plain vs fancy trucks, morph into TV discussion and various children's propensity to stab things into said tv and then to Dave Ramsey and credit card balances...
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
ONLY on BITOG can a thread start about plain vs fancy trucks, morph into TV discussion and various children's propensity to stab things into said tv and then to Dave Ramsey and credit card balances...
crazy2.gif

Had any good BBQ lately ?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
No talk of Ford ranger or GMC Canyon?

Should be some deals there.

I have considered them fully but really don't have interest in buying one of those at the moment. Only reason I'm even thinking of a Tacoma is the 0% finance deal. I haven't seen any stuff on Tacos in nearly a decade besides 1.9% or $1k rebate on previous MYs. I feel like I see GM/Ford offers all the time.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
crazy2.gif

I retired at 55 years of age because I didn't listen to Dave Ramsey.................

Simple question with an either/or easy answer, depends on whether you prefer the money saved on the base version or the options.

In the past ten years I have probably received around $2500 in rewards. Everything is purchased on a rewards card for the highest rewards. Then is paid off every month, if not before the statement is sent.

Back