Base model vs fully loaded truck

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
New Taco 4 cyl Access Cab

Not a fan of black nor automatics, but I'd have to admit to a desire to downsize to something that'd fit in my garage... and I do like using an automatic for backing up trailers!

I've never heard anyone say, "I wish I'd bought a smaller and cheaper TV."
Likewise, I've never heard someone say, "I wish I'd bought a vehicle with a less powerful engine."

They say no one lies on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time at the office; my corollary to that is, no one lies on their deathbed wishing they had bought cheaper and more "practical" vehicles.

At 35 I partially cashed out a re-fi to buy a 1988 M6. Horrors! Oh, the financial irresponsibility!

Would I do it again?
In a heartbeat.

Buy what you want- not what you need. Life is too short to drive boring cars. Or trucks.

With that gas mileage and price for the TOY-ota, better off with a base Chevy or Ford full size.

Not when you factor in the real of ownership: depreciation, repairs, etc.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Buy what you want- not what you need. Life is too short to drive boring cars. Or trucks.

Every so often I go through the list of things I wish I hadn't bought. Vehicles are very prominent on that list.

It's easy to say "get what makes your heart flutter" when it's being bought out of pocket money.

If you need a truck as a truck, get the base but I am not a fan of 4 cyl. in trucks. If its a daily driver/family car/grocery getter get something a bit more comfortable. Base trucks are great for hauling stuff to the dump, filling with top soil or mulch, pulling the boat to the lake, bringing home lumber from the home stores. A real truck leads a hard life and its difficult for most of us to abuse( read normal use) fancy expensive shiny toys. Those scratches from lumber carts and dents in the tailgate from that rock on the step bumper you did not see make you want to cry in either but in a base Hey its a work truck.
2nd a truck does not take the place of a trailer for many things, you can make it do but things like loading an ATV or the lawn tractor or a larger motorcycle and getting them back off is way way easier on a trailer and when you go to get 2000 lbs of top soil or 30 bags of mulch or a pile of bricks or landscape rocks forget the truck, you will be on the rims.
In the end it all depends on what you need the truck for and how much money you want to spend. All this from a guy whos base truck came new with no headliner, vinyl floor, cloth seats, manual crank windows w/vents and AM/FM radio. The only options were the 5.0 litre, Tow package and limitied slip so consider the source.

A $40,000 truck is a 25 thousand dollar truck.

Truth. At least for me. I'm sticking with my old Tundra. Never seen the inside of a garage, except half way when doing the brakes.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
A $40,000 truck is a 25 thousand dollar truck.

Truth. At least for me. I'm sticking with my old Tundra. Never seen the inside of a garage, except half way when doing the brakes.

Does it rain where you live? LOL, I kid, I know it does, once or twice a year I bet, and it might even get down to freezing (is it CKN who says water freezes at 50F in CA?).

I know mid size trucks are hated on but that is one upshot to the smaller size, it might fit in some of the smaller garages. I put my full size into the larger of the two bays that I have, and it fits... sorta.

This is simple, but what you've been wanting. You will be much happier in the long run. If you settle for a vehicle that wasn't your first pick there is a higher likelihood you won't be as satisfied with it and you'll trade out of it sooner than expected.

I currently have three trucks:

1998 S10, V6, regular cab ZR2 4X4
2002 F350 V10 crew cab, 4x4, short bed, with 4.3 rear end
2007 F350 V8, regular cab, long bed, 2WD, with 3.7 rear end

They are all very different and serve different purposes. If you are going from a Subaru, I would suggest you get a loaded Toyota pickup, and have a large rear back seat. I was against ever having anything except a regular cab. Thought crew cabs were station wagons with open storage. I ended up loving the crew cab, keeping tools dry and tight in the back seat.

Since you don't need the truck today. Why not wait for the impossible sale that very may be coming. Pay for the Sport model you want, at the base model price. May take till late fall, but would not be surprised for some huge manufacturer incentives to move the 2020s when the 2021s come out. You may have to purchase 1,000 miles from home- but the deal will likely come. I would not say this but with COVID related unemployment- might be a very special buying opportunity on 2020 models come the fall.

Don't underestimate what you can do with aftermarket parts. You can build it, over time if $$ are a consideration, and get exactly what you want if the base package is right. I love the power of the Tacoma V6, but the gas mileage is abysmal. Personally I'd always look at new first if it had the power train I wanted, and build it from there.

Originally Posted by samven
A real truck leads a hard life and its difficult for most of us to abuse( read normal use) fancy expensive shiny toys. Those scratches from lumber carts and dents in the tailgate from that rock on the step bumper you did not see make you want to cry in either but in a base Hey its a work truck.
2nd a truck does not take the place of a trailer for many things, you can make it do but things like loading an ATV or the lawn tractor or a larger motorcycle and getting them back off is way way easier on a trailer and when you go to get 2000 lbs of top soil or 30 bags of mulch or a pile of bricks or landscape rocks forget the truck, you will be on the rims.

Exactly a reason I don't really care for fully loaded trucks. It will be great to drive around but when it comes time to haul, it'll hurt more to ding up a nice truck over a base.

My Outback replaced my Nissan NV200. Both cars were and are dinged up from use. Both cars were base models too, Sold the Nissan because the cargo van was too inconvenient. Couldn't haul big, couldn't double up as a passenger vehicle either. I use the vehicle for hauling rubbish, cement, dry wall/plywood etc. not often but enough to where renting doesn't make sense. My trailer is used to haul big stuff that doesn't fit in the Subaru. Other than that, it rarely gets hooked up.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
The base Tacoma is a dog IMO. Took a while to get to speed on the interstate. When my brother was looking for a vehicle, we looked at a base with this engine. Nice truck otherwise IMO.

The base was 27.5. A TRD fully loaded minus leather seats desert sand model was 32. It had the V6 too.

Car Pro says all the time … drive the one with the small engine first … if it's good enough, buy it because once you drive the unit with a more powerful engine you'll wind up with that one.

Just watched the proud sandman pull out of his driveway … color makes that black grill too prominent …
Do they have a monotone version ?

Originally Posted by supton
[
Every so often I go through the list of things I wish I hadn't bought. Vehicles are very prominent on that list.

It's easy to say "get what makes your heart flutter" when it's being bought out of pocket money.

Cars I regret purchasing: Exactly 1(One)- Merkur Scorpio

Cars I regret selling: 1(One) E24 M6

Cars I regret NOT purchasing: Where do I start? Just off the top of my head:

1969 Torino Talladega
1969 Road Runner 383 with four speed manual and factory A/C
1970 Cyclone Spoiler(429 CJ)
1972 Jensen Interceptor
1988 E30 M3(for $8k)
1988 K75S Yes, a bike. For only $2k
2003 E46 M3(no options save H-K audio, heated seats, and Xenons)
2007 Saleen Mustang Parnelli Jones Edition

I could go on...

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by 02SE
I've been much happier whenever I've bought what I wanted.

This. It's okay to spoil yourself sometimes, and I've never heard someone say "man, I wish I would have gotten the smaller less powerful engine!"

Of those, I'd go for the TRD and not even consider the SR5 because for a little more you can have a new truck.

I've been wanting a off road capable vehicle for a while now. I have no issues building a SR 2.7 with a small lift/tire set up. I'm hung up on either buying for my original intent(0% APR) or buying the TRD. Used TRDs can be found at any time anywhere spec'd in a way I'd want so I can wait on it. But it's likely that this finance deal is temporary. If I'm already dropping near 30k for the SR, what's 2-3k more for the TRD
confused2.gif
it's becoming full circle.

If you had bought all those, would you have kept them, or had them for a while and flipped as the years passed?

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
With that gas mileage and price for the TOY-ota, better off with a base Chevy or Ford full size.

Not when you factor in the real of ownership: depreciation, repairs, etc.

Not really. I have a basic Silverado 4.3 six cyl with the LS package (basically a few more options and chrome, power windows, heated mirrors, etc.) and only problem was a fuel tank pressure sensor which I replaced myself for around $30. A Toyota can't get much better than that after 8 years. Depreciation is kind of tricky as I got the truck for a decent price to begin with. Much more room and capability than a compact truck and virtually the same gas mileage.

Total repairs in 8 years of last GMC 4WD (hard on/off road, towing) = hose clamp.

If those 2017's already lived through 3 NY winters, I'd want the new one with the 2.7, but I've always been partial to basic package trucks. They're not so basic to me.

Back