Bar b Q Porsche

Need to get that burned-cargo ship / bunker fuel smell out of your discount auto auction Porsche?

Liqui-Moly to the rescue:

1698.jpg

My guess: An EV caught fire, burned uncontrollably and set adjacent vehicles on fire. But that's just a guess. Those ships have pretty epic fire suppression systems for the engine. By far, the most common cause of a cargo ship's fire is, of course, the cargo.

220217141855-felicity-ace-cargo-ship-fire-smoke-0217-large-169.jpg
Oil wins.
Again.
Another one you can probably see from space. At least I'm not the deposit dweeb waiting for any of that........
edit: on a side note, there was a barge full of Canadian crushed cars burning in the Puget Sound days ago.
could be mass-incompetence or The Year of The Tiger in full swing. ????? who is to say.

My guess: An EV caught fire, burned uncontrollably and set adjacent vehicles on fire. But that's just a guess. Those ships have pretty epic fire suppression systems for the engine. By far, the most common cause of a cargo ship's fire is, of course, the cargo.

It's just as likely that it was just an improperly disconnected car battery rather than the battery pack of an EV. It hasn't been the first time.

And the wait for the ID.4 just got even longer for some folks. Knowing how poorly VW is managing the reservation process they will probably be put at the back of the line.

I wonder what they use? CO2? I know back in the old days the engine room of the ship I was on had a halon system. Everyone had to be out of the engine room before they activated it though.

I wonder what they use? CO2? I know back in the old days the engine room of the ship I was on had a halon system. Everyone had to be out of the engine room before they activated it though.
FM200 has replaced halon systems. I had to do a sign off inspection as Fire Marshal for the new system installed at the social security administration regional office and the installation company and site manager went on and on how clean it was and that it wouldn't harm the computer hard drives etc. I then looked over and pointed to a couple regular dry powder hand held extinguishers mounted by each door (which are very caustic to lungs and hard drives) and their faces went blank and said sorry and removed them immediately 😆
Edit: looks as though FM200 is now being replaced too. That story was from 10 years ago. Retirement has me outta the loop! But rm200 advantage was that it didn't displace oxygen so people could be in the room when it went off.

Last edited:
FM200 has replaced halon systems. I had to do a sign off inspection as Fire Marshal for the new system installed at the social security administration regional office and the installation company and site manager went on and on how clean it was and that it wouldn't harm the computer hard drives etc. I then looked over and pointed to a couple regular dry powder hand held extinguishers mounted by each door (which are very caustic to lungs and hard drives) and their faces went blank and said sorry and removed them immediately 😆

I figured it had changed since then. Besides the halon we had CO2 and PPK extinguishers plus that gawd awful smelling protein foam in the plastic containers.

I figured it had changed since then. Besides the halon we had CO2 and PPK extinguishers plus that gawd awful smelling protein foam in the plastic containers.
Yeah it seems to change every few years, see my edit above. The AFFF foam has been found to be a carcinogen which is just the cherry on top of the cake as to the junk I was exposed to for 25 years fighting fire 🔥

Yeah it seems to change every few years, see my edit above. The AFFF foam has been found to be a carcinogen which is just the cherry on top of the cake as to the junk I was exposed to for 25 years fighting fire 🔥

That’s nice to know. When we crossed the Dateline us pollywogs had to crawl through that stuff which was poured out over plastic on the deck. We were in just our skivvies. But hey, we did it and got our certificates for entering The Realm Of The Golden Dragon.

We did take a longer shower afterwards but that smell took a couple of days to go away.

The news said electric cars intensified the fire.

Years ago I worked on ships doing fire service. Every type of shil but nukes. And yes Co2 was the most common to use due to cost. And is still used for smaller compartment like paint lockers and generator rooms. The engine rooms sometimes had over 300, 100 lb capacity C02 cyls that we had to check. Halon has been used in the past but like was mentioned has been replaced with other types of gases. I worked on military ships where they were sending every type of war vehicles you can think on over to dessert storm. They had a crew of guys whose job it was to disconnect the batteries from every vehicle. They told me at times, they would find vehicles running on a lower deck for no apparent reason. Fires were not unusual. They used sea water to protect the cargo areas, and had pumps to pump the runoff water over the side. I guess it's a little more complicated to disconnect and reconnect 5 thousand car batteries, than big military vehicles with easy to get at batteries.,,,

The news said electric cars intensified the fire.
I'm hearing from a very reliable source that the USCG believes it was an EV that started the fire, which then spread to other EV's and so on. Yikes!

That ship and all it's cargo are done. My next guess, we will change the way EV's are imported.

incencio-navio-acores-3.jpg

I'm hearing from a very reliable source that the USCG believes it was an EV that started the fire, which then spread to other EV's and so on. Yikes!

That ship and all it's cargo are done. My next guess, we will change the way EV's are imported.

incencio-navio-acores-3.jpg
I will wait for an official report if it ever is released. The only people who know much are crew maybe. USCG may believe what they may but it was a Portuguese navy rescue in the Azores. Just saying ….

Back