Bad Fram filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky
I put this filter in back in May, and it only has about 3k mile on it. My daughter has had intermittent problems with it since June.
It completely died on her Saturday, and had to be towed. My friend has an indy shop. Only problem was that the MAF was very dirty. It had been cleaned just a few months before.

Where was the filter purchased?

Originally Posted By: planeman223
Originally Posted By: kschachn
The nickname "orange can of death" didn't come out of nowhere...

Where did it come from then? Are you saying that the current design of the Extra Guard is materially different now than it was in the past?

I'd probably just Google that instead of wait for myself or someone else to copy and paste it for you.

I did, so the answer is that it's pretty much the same as it always has been.

So if it is OK today then it was OK then, and never really was the OCOD. In other words it apparently did come out of nowhere.

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Originally Posted By: dogememe
Well... It's a fram

+1

Other than just working at a parts store, do you have any particular reason to "+1" the comment? Have you seen frequent defective filters such as this or had a lot of returns?

Working as a mechanic and getting paid to fix the [censored]

Please enlighten us on your many experiences.

Don't want to do the chain quote

- Frequent issues with their air filters fitting properly. Always seem to be trimmed a bit too wide

- Chaff? Burrs? [censored] left on the threads from when they tapped the filters. Not often, but enough to give me pause

- Cartridge fitters tend only to have the o-ring for the housing and don't include any of the inner ones

Can't say I've bothered to cut one open to check for tears but I don't care to any way. Their QC seems rather questionable to me given the other stuff

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Bad Qc there Sparkey.. You gotta look at this stuff before you install it. How did you miss it?

True. I am kicking myself now.
spankme2.gif

Seems so obvious looking at it now. Should have caught it.
I will be really anal about all further filters!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Well... It's a fram

Can happen to any brand.

True. I am in no way saying "all Frams are junk, blah, blah, blah"
In fact, the Ford has an Ultra oil filter in it!
Any assembly line can have a problem like this. Looks like the injection machine may have run out of product, temp wasn't right, etc.
I am sending their Warranty dept an email. I am sure they will replace it.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I put this filter in back in May, and it only has about 3k mile on it. My daughter has had intermittent problems with it since June.
It completely died on her Saturday, and had to be towed. My friend has an indy shop. Only problem was that the MAF was very dirty. It had been cleaned just a few months before.

Where was the filter purchased?

I was just trying to remember that. I think it was Amazon, thrown in with another order. Might have been RockAuto.

Don't want to do the chain quote

- Frequent issues with their air filters fitting properly. Always seem to be trimmed a bit too wide

- Chaff? Burrs? [censored] left on the threads from when they tapped the filters. Not often, but enough to give me pause

- Cartridge fitters tend only to have the o-ring for the housing and don't include any of the inner ones

Can't say I've bothered to cut one open to check for tears but I don't care to any way. Their QC seems rather questionable to me given the other stuff

So you really didn't "fix" anything as you previously mentioned?

Contact them and show the pictures, tell them to make it right as you're the customer. If they value your business they should provide you a replacement and maybe a RMA return slip so they can root cause the failure mode.

The nickname "orange can of death" didn't come out of nowhere...
Actually, it did.

If you aren't willing to open up your mind and read so,e facts and not just follow the trolls from back in the day, saying Fram filters suck, then you're on the wrong forum.

You:

I was just trying to remember that. I think it was Amazon, thrown in with another order. Might have been RockAuto.

Maybe a good reason to call Fram and let them know about the issue. For all we know it could be a counterfeit one. A good way to tell is to send it to them and see what they say about it. Just don't forget to follow up with them. Plus you can send Jay from Fram an email as well, his name is Motorking on here. A message to his personal email works better than PM on here.

[email protected]

Last edited:
An actual mechanic who does nothing but change Frams all day just told the apologists why he hates them and the nickname came out of nowhere.
33.gif

An actual mechanic who does nothing but change Frams all day just told the apologists why he hates them and the nickname came out of nowhere.
33.gif

I guess that is about as good an explanation as any other, considering it doesn't appear to be based on any actual fact.

I guess that is about as good an explanation as any other, considering it doesn't appear to be based on any actual fact.

+1

Hmmmm, a whole website dedicated to oils, filters, lubes with years and years of documented cutting open of Fram's vs some guy who is a mechanic that claims he has never cut one open.

I know what I'm placing my confidence in

It sucks this one wasn't caught with QC, but it happens. Going on 8 years of using just Fram filters (air and oil) and not one issue. I'll wait until I start seeing some noticable trends

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Maybe a good reason to call Fram and let them know about the issue. For all we know it could be a counterfeit one.

Thanks for the info. I sent an email through the Fram website. Actually sent it earlier, but since there was 8MB of pics attached, I apparently shut down the laptop before it finished sending.
blush.gif

They have it as of Friday night. I would expect an answer this week.
Again, this can happen to any manufacturing process. Not slamming Fram. I'll have no problem with putting in another Fram, but will inspect it closely next time, along with any other brand.

Last edited:
I could fill up an entire page with links dealing with anti-drain back problems, manufacturing defects, "never again" stories, and other assorted Honeywell/FRAM filter issues. Where there's smoke there's fire gentlemen and when you screw a FRAM on (excluding Ultra) you're playing with fire.

I could fill up an entire page with links dealing with anti-drain back problems, manufacturing defects, "never again" stories, and other assorted Honeywell/FRAM filter issues. Where there's smoke there's fire gentlemen and when you screw a FRAM on (excluding Ultra) you're playing with fire.

Lmao.

That post only cements the notion you're making stuff up as I (and most everyone else in this thread) already suspected.

Lmao.

That post only cements the notion you're making stuff up as I (and most everyone else in this thread) already suspected.

You're in denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back