K&N air filter after 2.5 years pic.

20231016_131033.jpg

This filter was installed in my Chevy Trax in March 2021. Caked on dirt on filter and pre filter side of intake tubing. However, the post filter side of filter and intake tubing was spotless. Clean as a whistle. Replaced today with paper filter.

Surprisingly dirty. I've seen K&N air filters from cars & motorbikes that looked much cleaner than that after 20,000 street miles.

Looks like its been doing its job. I had these in several vehicles for a few years and they didn't do anything bad that I noticed. Made for some nice induction noise on a Northstar Cadillac. I ended up putting paper filters back in after reading all the internet hate (mostly on BITOG) but personally I never saw any issues.. I still have one on an old ATV because that's what it came with and they had trashed components necessary to run a stock air filter.

Surprisingly dirty. I've seen K&N air filters from cars & motorbikes that looked much cleaner than that after 20,000 street miles.
Then it wasn't filtering very well . Unless they drove around in a vacuum .

Then it wasn't filtering very well . Unless they drove around in a vacuum .
In those applications, the air intake piping was squeaky clean downstream of the air filter. Based on this I assumed the air was clean enough it didn't have much to filter. I also find this with normal paper filters on most normal street driven cars. It takes at least 30k miles to build up visible crud in the air filter and it still doesn't look as bad as the OP's photo. Maybe I'm lucky and live in a place with unusually clean air?

dirt looks oily which shows it was probably oiled. If you like the buzz stick with it or test your oil between the two to see if you notice any silicon spike. It was overdue for a cleaning to say the least. Thanks for posting it.

dirt looks oily which shows it was probably oiled. If you like the buzz stick with it or test your oil between the two to see if you notice any silicon spike. It was overdue for a cleaning to say the least. Thanks for posting it.
I have sent in my last two oil changes to be tested. Will post a new thread with results.

Back