Axle breather?

Any suggestions for an axle breather tube filter? For some reason out 2018 F150 just has an open vent hose for the rear axle. Ideally I’d like to put some type of water filter on the end. I have seen AWD explorers with plastic and goretex breathers for the PTU but never seen those for sale aftermarket.

Attachments

• F7EB2BB2-0EDC-485C-8AFD-ECE0DD4A2861.jpeg
    F7EB2BB2-0EDC-485C-8AFD-ECE0DD4A2861.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 64
Theres no real need or benefit to that ( purely psychological)

But if you want, get an inline desiccant filter for compressed air and stick it in the end up top and secure it

Mostly worried about moisture intrusion during heavy rains and winter weather. No so much “filtration” as much as not having a open and non occluded pathway.

Mostly worried about moisture intrusion during heavy rains and winter weather. No so much “filtration” as much as not having a open and non occluded pathway.

doesn't work like that and trust me, I have this conversation all the time with clients who have gear boxes and using desiccant breathers.
Your differential is no physically different than a Rexnord Mercury box sitting on a tank subject to vapor.

The box proper doesn't breathe ( no lungs and unless has a pressurized lube system never will) and atmosphere is 14.7 psi (sea) pushing air into a trapped area

So, there will never be anything more than a bare minimal air exchange ( yes there will be a fraction of a fraction of the interior volume)

Its not going to happen when everything is at ambient ( no air movement) and when moving there will be heat and velocity moving most of the moisture.

So, barring raw water ( crossing a stream), the ingress will be very minimal

Your 2018 rear (and front, if 4wd) axle should have a breather vent attached. You are missing yours. Probably a dealer item. See picture here:

Back