Chevron black pearl grease for cv joint

Ive been reading and finding out quite a bit for cv axle greases but i dont find anything abt the chevron black pearl line.

In the past I have rebooted axles and put the moly/black stuff packs, while they work nice in the outer, they chewed out the tripod needle bearings. Same happened with using nlgi2 red hi temp bearing grease.

On another axle inner I used mobil CM-L as it was high temp, EP and nlgi1 and available at Grainger easily. And filled the recommended 200 grams of grease. (Camry 2003) . Seems ok till now but the stupid neoprene outer joint boot has cracked due to age by now and the axle requires reboot. (I dont like aftermarket axles as they dont make the car drive quite right)

Anyway, i have about 6 tubes of black pearl grease, 4 nlgi1 and 2 nlgi2 thicknesses of the product from a garage sale. Im thinking to use this product as its pretty tough according to what I read on it. I have also bought an open pack of toyota cv boots with the grease sachets ripped or missing, the clamps and boots are ok,

So back to it, anyone have experience of chevron black pearl in cv joints?

If it matters, I know the chemistry is very unique for this grease and has no tolerance for contaminaion. I disassemble and wash the cv joints first with a petroleum solvent like mineral spirits, then some brake clean and finally purple power degreaser in a buzz bath (ultrasonic cleaner) then a rinse with boiling water to make sure nothing remains, I also never touch the grease to prevent contamination and use a bag to weigh the grease before injecting it in like a baker puts icing.

FWIW, GSP makes axles with thermoplastic boots for your 2003 Camry :)

Brand new OE axles are somehow still available for your car, too, though they're $700 each :sneaky:

If you're going to use that grease, you're probably better off with the NLGI1 like you used for the inboard. Somebody probably bought those boots just for the grease :ROFLMAO:

According to this brochure, Black Pearl has no moly in it. Here is Chevron's page that mentions polyurea grease like Black Pearl being popular in CV joints, though most CV greases I've seen are advertised as having moly :unsure:

Redline CV2 is supposed to be good CV grease.

At least your new Toyota boots should be thermoplastic :D

FWIW, GSP makes axles with thermoplastic boots for your 2003 Camry :)

Brand new OE axles are somehow still available for your car, too, though they're $700 each :sneaky:

If you're going to use that grease, you're probably better off with the NLGI1 like you used for the inboard. Somebody probably bought those boots just for the grease :ROFLMAO:

According to this brochure, Black Pearl has no moly in it. Here is Chevron's page that mentions polyurea grease like Black Pearl being popular in CV joints, though most CV greases I've seen are advertised as having moly :unsure:

Redline CV2 is supposed to be good CV grease.

At least your new Toyota boots should be thermoplastic :D
Polyurea greases are much more long life than lithium stuff with added moly. Toyota has filled their cv joints with PU grease since the late 90s I think. (The dark green almost black grease) What I like PU grease for in cvj is that its thixotropic, it becomes a runny mass when worked and reforms back to its original form when unloaded. This way it helps seep right into the tiny needle rollers of the tripod spider joint specially when its correctly charged with the mass of the grease, filling 200 grams in the tripod joint is tricky as its to the brim by 170 grams or so, the rest is then put into the boot carefully. It literally is overfilled when done correctly as the spider joint has to run in a bath of lube that is not stringy.

Lol, I sound old! But had to learn this by experience and cost when working on cars that really loaded up such parts like prepped skylines, rx7s etc or extremely fast road speed vehicles like an audi a8 maxing out on the autobahn.

Back