Autozone Employees

All I ask for is a VIN, well last 8 but it baffles the entire parts industry how "last 8" turns into anything but.
The last 6 or 8 digits are the serial # so a Ford system only needs to look up Ford-built vehicles. Right ? Do you get duplicates with just the serial # though ? Easy enough to resolve though when the possible matches are a '76 LTD or a '12 Focus !

The last 6 or 8 digits are the serial # so a Ford system only needs to look up Ford-built vehicles. Right ? Do you get duplicates with just the serial # though ? Easy enough to resolve though when the possible matches are a '76 LTD or a '12 Focus !
A bunch of manufacturers are setup to only need the last 8. Our Ford catalog goes back to 1980 and the last 8 thing is hit or miss on older vehicles. I had a 1990 F-350 call today where the last 8 didn't work. With Mazda I will put the last 8 in and there are 5 or 6 options.

Most parts people can't stand when someone walks in and says "I have a X Gen Mustang/F-150 and I need a doohickie" then get mad when I ask for a VIN or at least the year. Mostly comes from vehicle specific car forums making up names for cars and then thinking it is Gospel.
Yeah that would drive me insane.

Yeah that would drive me insane.
It is terrible with the Broncos. They come in and rattle off some trim package and think I know every single option it has. Plot twist: I took the web class back when those things were first introduced and set land speed records hitting "next" a bunch of times since my eyes glossed over.

A few days ago a guy was mad at my front counter kid because when the guy walked up and said "7.3 CPS" my counter kid had the audacity to ask for a VIN. Now I know exactly what that guy would have wanted, but my front counter kid is 19, literally he wasn't born yet when the last 7.3L diesels in a Ford were rolling down the assembly plant. Heck I remember when the part number for those changed to the -B suffix and they dropped from $3xx to like $35 and the labor time went from 3 hours to .3 because it was a recall. I strolled over to the shelf and grabbed the part and walked to the counter. I then asked the customer if this was a 7.3 gas or diesel, because that is a legit question now and we see way more gas 7.3s than diesel purely because the gas ones are almost all still under warranty.

Also don't come in and say "CPS" or "CKP" unless it is something very specific to that manufacturer like Ford and DPFE. Even our techs don't put "CPS" on their PaNdA slips.

It is terrible with the Broncos. They come in and rattle off some trim package and think I know every single option it has. Plot twist: I took the web class back when those things were first introduced and set land speed records hitting "next" a bunch of times since my eyes glossed over.

A few days ago a guy was mad at my front counter kid because when the guy walked up and said "7.3 CPS" my counter kid had the audacity to ask for a VIN. Now I know exactly what that guy would have wanted, but my front counter kid is 19, literally he wasn't born yet when the last 7.3L diesels in a Ford were rolling down the assembly plant. Heck I remember when the part number for those changed to the -B suffix and they dropped from $3xx to like $35 and the labor time went from 3 hours to .3 because it was a recall. I strolled over to the shelf and grabbed the part and walked to the counter. I then asked the customer if this was a 7.3 gas or diesel, because that is a legit question now and we see way more gas 7.3s than diesel purely because the gas ones are almost all still under warranty.

Also don't come in and say "CPS" or "CKP" unless it is something very specific to that manufacturer like Ford and DPFE. Even our techs don't put "CPS" on their PaNdA slips.
It's funny how all the internet forum acronyms people use online turn into their everyday language. I would feel funny using an acronym to explain something outside of it's normal use environment (forum, workplace, etc).

The Autozone next to my house is by far the worst place I've ever been to. You could stand there for hours and no one will acknowledge you. The employees have no knowledge or interest in their job or anything automotive, they are just bodies behind the counter. I have to go to O'Reillys to get any kind of customer service.
Sometimes these are the best because you can just wander in with waste oil and pour it yourself. Now my AZ keeps it locked so I just set the jug next to the container and walk out.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is the answer here.

I have done this many times. Just double check what they bring you…. Make sure it matches your part number you looked up before going in.
My New favorite is the Napa order online, pick up in store. They are the only ones that have it figured out. Orders are ready and set aside within 20-30min. I go in they print the receipt, I sign and go on my way. AZ and Orielly can't figure it out. They are always looking for it, its missing or didn't pull it then take forever to check out.

Wonder when they will put a bar code scanner on all cars so all they have to do is scan it and it will pull up the correct parts

None of the Ford or Mazda parts training includes actually looking up parts. Actually I take that back, one of the Mazda classes said that the best way to look up a part in the catalog was to enter the part number....

There is so much you have to know doing dealer parts that aren't in the catalog. Things that you just have to know. I have files on my work computer with notes for all sorts of things I and other parts people have stumbled upon over the years.

Also the Autozones of the world don't pay that great unless you are on the commercial or management side. Maybe minimum wage with a small commission. Where on the dealer side I am at 6 figures with my hourly and commission. When I do go to the Zone or OReillys for something I don't act condescending to them at all. I don't know their system as I never worked in a parts house, but just treat them like people. I do get annoyed at their commercial reps, mostly because they show up when I am super busy and want to talk about me stocking a bunch of their stuff.
You're absolutely right. I work part time at a Carquest as my "retirement job." I was never a mechanic but always did the the basic maintenance on my vehicles and smart enough to figure most things out. When I was hired I thought "how hard could this be?" Well I found out really quick. I'm lucky as I work beside a retired auto mechanic so whenever I run across something I don't know, which is daily, all I have to do is ask; I also put a lot of effort into trying to learn as much as I can. Every day I am amazed at what he knows, but almost 50 years turning wrenches gets you there I guess.
There are bunch of things that people take for granted when dealing with most parts stores.
1. Chances are the guy behind the counter doesn't know every part in the store, whether it's in stock at that moment, and whether it fits your vehicle as soon as you mention what you're looking for.
2. Chances are the guy behind the counter doesn't know exactly what you are looking for and there's a very good chance the name you are using to describe the part isn't correct and/or the same thing used on the computer he is looking at.
3. Chances are the guy behind the counter really wants to find what you are looking for and most likely will find it with a little patience. And like any other service, the angrier or more impatient you get, the more nervous or embarrassed he becomes and his desire to help you rapidly turns into just wanting you to go away.
4. Chances are as he is trying to find your part, your description of what it looks like and your hand motions to describe it is doing nothing to help.
I could go on and on but I think you get the point. I'm 53 years old and never been afraid to call someone out for treating me like a child or an idiot. So when I get a "gearhead" who's irritated because I don't know the exact workings of his vehicle I don't hesitate to knock him down a peg. But imagine the 18-22 year old who is trying to help but is getting embarrassed in front of his co-workers; do you think talking down to him is helping anything? Give the kid a break, at least he's there and trying to help.

You're absolutely right. I work part time at a Carquest as my "retirement job." I was never a mechanic but always did the the basic maintenance on my vehicles and smart enough to figure most things out. When I was hired I thought "how hard could this be?" Well I found out really quick. I'm lucky as I work beside a retired auto mechanic so whenever I run across something I don't know, which is daily, all I have to do is ask; I also put a lot of effort into trying to learn as much as I can. Every day I am amazed at what he knows, but almost 50 years turning wrenches gets you there I guess.
I firmly think that everyone should have to spend some time in a customer facing job for an amount of time to really see how mean/nice/stupid/intelligent people can be. I absolutely love my job, but if I get that one person that is a complete jerk, it will ruin my day.

I firmly think that everyone should have to spend some time in a customer facing job for an amount of time to really see how mean/nice/stupid/intelligent people can be. I absolutely love my job, but if I get that one person that is a complete jerk, it will ruin my day.
I agree. 99% of the folks I deal with are fantastic. I tell most folks, right off, that it may take me a little bit but I'll get it figured out and I always do...so far. But you're right, just one complete condescending jerk and the day is ruined. My boss is fantastic, he understands my limitations. I'll do anything for anyone at anytime, just treat me good, that's all I ask. Treat me like a jerk and I will respond in kind.

Agreed. I think everyone should work retail, hotel front desk or food service for at least a year early in life (otherwise you wind up leaving your incriminating laptop lying around later in life).

I did plenty of retail and front desk but knew I didn't have patience for food -- I think waiting tables is ultimately one of the hardest jobs out there.

I agree. 99% of the folks I deal with are fantastic. I tell most folks, right off, that it may take me a little bit but I'll get it figured out and I always do...so far. But you're right, just one complete condescending jerk and the day is ruined. My boss is fantastic, he understands my limitations. I'll do anything for anyone at anytime, just treat me good, that's all I ask. Treat me like a jerk and I will respond in kind.
So funny thing about me and looking up parts that aren't Ford or Mazda is I always try to do it online. I get anxious when I call and have to talk to someone that isn't my preferred human at that place. I called the local Honda dealer for a used car and it took them 12 minutes to look up brake pads and a sunvisor. The majority of that was them trying to find our account in the system. They use the same DealerTrack software and I was trying to tell him shortcuts to bring up the account faster, but alas, he put me on hold.

Now my one big weakness with parts is anything that has a side, so mirrors, tail/headlights. For a few years, if you talked to me and needed a mirror it was almost a guarantee that I would get the wrong side. Now I have just trained myself that even though I write it down, I confirm a couple times. All my regular wholesale people are cool with it, but occasionally I get attitude about it. Like dude, I just want to make sure you get the right, well sometimes left, part. Especially when most of the mirrors we deal with now are in the $1200-1500+ range.

I just got done showing up a couple of Autozone Employees . I think the first guy I talked to was new and couldn't find what I needed on the computer . So he called over another guy that may have been the manager idk. Then I pretty much walked behind the desk to show him where it was on the computer. How embarrassing .
I have walked out during a conversation at Autozone.
Seems they'll hire anyone even if they've never lifted the hood or changed a tire
on any automobile.

Now my one big weakness with parts is
I to this day can't understand how Ford references 3-4 different parts numbers for the same part

You've got the long part number (engineering number?)
XF5Z-12106-AA = DH-3224
You've got the short code (FL400S for example)
And then mix in a service line vs not for warranty line, economy/Omnicraft part just for good measure

Supersessions that don't always line up (but are guaranteed to have a significant price disparity)

How you have the patience for it, I'll never know

Back