Autozone ftw!

I avoid AutoZone as much as I can except for loaner tools. That said, O’Reilly hasn’t given me grief… yet.

All of them use custom point of sale systems running off Dell or HP thin clients and either Oracle NetSuite or even a custom Java/HTML5 app running off Firefox or Chrome on a Linux distribution. Home Depot does the same - custom Java app for point of sales running on Windows 10 using off the shelf Dell Optiplex computers. It would be too much for these guys to spend money on Oracle XStore(or Toshiba/NCR retail sales middleware), Windows/MSSQL CAL licensing and support, and dedicated point of sale systems from HP, NCR, Toshiba and Fujitsu are expensive.

The ORAP stores in my area have tiny parking lots that also have to fit their fleet of small delivery trucks, which can make parking a hassle, so I tend to go there only when I have a specific reason to.

Home Despot needs to join the 21st century and accept NFC payments.

I avoid AutoZone as much as I can except for loaner tools. That said, O’Reilly hasn’t given me grief… yet.

All of them use custom point of sale systems running off Dell or HP thin clients and either Oracle NetSuite or even a custom Java/HTML5 app running off Firefox or Chrome on a Linux distribution. Home Depot does the same - custom Java app for point of sales running on Windows 10 using off the shelf Dell Optiplex computers. It would be too much for these guys to spend money on Oracle XStore(or Toshiba/NCR retail sales middleware), Windows/MSSQL CAL licensing and support, and dedicated point of sale systems from HP, NCR, Toshiba and Fujitsu are expensive.
O’Reilly is all Lenovo thin clients as well as servers, at least in the stores. No idea what they use at corporate.

Thin clients are network booted to a custom Linux distro skinned to look like Windows 2000.

O’Reilly Parts System is Java. Even on 16GB of RAM per thin client it’s limited to two instances of OPS open at once.

They are. I was a delivery driver for a few weeks. Delivered to both repair shops and car dealers.
They've done that for years. They typically have an account and the delivery drivers in those little ford rangers will deliver to the shop. Same thing if you're a consumer. They almost always can have a part brought in the next morning or afternoon at the latest as you obviously already know.

During month 35, a 36 month battery fritzed under warranty, the friendly, young female counterman saw my receipt in hand (kept in glovebox-simple) and said, "You don't need that. We have you", and efficiently processed me. Was it....
A. AZ
B. O'R
C. AAP
D. NAPA

Hint: The answer makes people think of Arizona. I've been treated well at all of them.

Back