Auto Technician Compensation

I’m not sure, not that great. It depends on what part of the country, DC you‘d think would be higher because of cost of living. A lot of government blue collar jobs fall under WG (wage grade), which is lower than the GS scale.

Yes, it does sound like those jobs will be open for quite a while. I looked at the WG payscales and they don't seem to have much of a pay increase for the locality, unlike the GS payscales.

Yes, it does sound like those jobs will be open for quite a while. I looked at the WG payscales and they don't seem to have much of a pay increase for the locality, unlike the GS payscales.
I thought federal pay scale was the same regardless of location, but I could be wrong.

Loyalty most of the time makes you poor especially in this field

You are young. Figure out what you want. It’s not too late and you are not too invested in what you got. Bank as much money in retirement (max it out if you have an 401k) and savings towards the future now while you live at home.

A different trade could be a better fit for you. Nothing wrong with becoming an HVAC tech, a plumber or electrician.

I was once in Automechanics shoes a long time ago. I worked at a Honda dealer out of high school. I quit, went to Nashville Auto Diesel College, now known as Lincoln Tech Nashville. I got hired onto a mulch manufacture that also had a fleet dump trucks and had semi trucks and dump trailers in Florida. It afforded me a nice apartment and a new car.

I used that experience to get on at UPS and move back north. I make great money, get to retire at 57 and like my job.
If I wasn't at UPS, I would be at a city, township, state or public school system garage for the benefits. That is what being a diesel mechanic can get you into.

I don't deal with customers being a fleet mechanic which is a good thing.

People bring up being an HVAC tech. My elder brother was a commercial HVAC tech. He primarily did service work for restaurants, gas stations, carryouts. He hated it. He was expected to be a salesman instead of fixing things. He was expected to overcharge and generally rip customers off. He now works for a grocery chain as a refrigeration tech, is union making $44 an hour and he fixes things instead of trying to sell a 10 ton roof unit because it has a bad compressor.

And many HVAC guys and plumbers today that work at larger outfits try to sell customers a monthly service plan. So now you gotta meet a quota for that nonsense.

I was once in Automechanics shoes a long time ago. I worked at a Honda dealer out of high school. I quit, went to Nashville Auto Diesel College, now known as Lincoln Tech Nashville. I got hired onto a mulch manufacture that also had a fleet dump trucks and had semi trucks and dump trailers in Florida. It afforded me a nice apartment and a new car.

I used that experience to get on at UPS and move back north. I make great money, get to retire at 57 and like my job.
If I wasn't at UPS, I would be at a city, township, state or public school system garage for the benefits. That is what being a diesel mechanic can get you into.

I don't deal with customers being a fleet mechanic which is a good thing.

People bring up being an HVAC tech. My elder brother was a commercial HVAC tech. He primarily did service work for restaurants, gas stations, carryouts. He hated it. He was expected to be a salesman instead of fixing things. He was expected to overcharge and generally rip customers off. He now works for a grocery chain as a refrigeration tech, is union making $44 an hour and he fixes things instead of trying to sell a 10 ton roof unit because it has a bad compressor.

And many HVAC guys and plumbers today that work at larger outfits try to sell customers a monthly service plan. So now you gotta meet a quota for that nonsense.
What’s an average day look like for you as a semi mechanic? Like average repairs, etc.

I think this is a good option, but if it were as good as I think seems everyone would be doing it?

When I was a kid my mom was a secretary for the local CAT dealer (side note: her pay was atrocious but as a single mom she stayed for insurance-- 90% medical and 60% dental paid with no co-pays way back when)

ANYWAY she made it sound like the techs made good $. Also seemed like there was unlimited OT if they wanted it. OT was 1.5 and working on holidays was 2x.

Given the nature of the equipment field calls were common and also 2x pay. They often got the diesel pusher motor homes, too.....because in a small town who else can work on them? No one around here.

My local CDOT has a big programmable digi sign on the highway right now: hiring mechanic. I have a good friend who retired from CDOT -- pay is decent and of course benefits are quite good.

I imagine @AutoMechanic could wander into a local DOT and present his case and start at more than he makes now with even better bennies (esp retirement). Make it clear you may not have experience on heavy equipment but you're smart, eager to learn, have a good complement of tools and will show up everyday. I bet in 15 years you're the lead tech there just supervising others and making a very comfortable living.
Heavy equipment is intimidating to a lot of people and so is industrial maintenance.

On the heavy side nothing is ever clean. It’s full of dirt, grease, coolant and material that the equipment works with. It’s not a clean job, exposed to the elements and everything is heavy to lift so you’ll be acquainted with rigging but you’re also under no time constraints to get the job done. It’s also dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing safety wise. Cribbing is vital. Bleeding hydraulic systems and locking the pivot points. Splitting a haul truck to replace pins and pivots is a bit sketchy the first time you do it.

Industrial maintenance is dangerous also. More so if you’re working with large electric motors and gear boxes. We had some motors that were 500hp but most were 250hp or less. Pumps and conveyor belts don’t stop immediately so safety is vital through the whole process. Electrical systems that run at 660 volts, better double check power when you lock it out and not care that your supervisor is giving you a funny look because he trusts a knife that exposed to gritty material and water.

Crap happens fast so always be aware.

Union job with full benefits is preferred. I know a journeyman plumber and electrician at a hospital making good money, both are union and get lots of side work from employees at hospital on their days off. Lots of very easy cash jobs and always busy.

I still believe AutoMechanic needs to look for other jobs.

Paid apprenticeships are a great way to learn and get foot in the door of a career.

Last edited:
What’s an average day look like for you as a semi mechanic? Like average repairs, etc.

It's a mix. I do PM's which there are 3 types. I do diagnostic and repair work along with brakes and tires. We have semis that run on diesel, LNG and CNG along with diesel spotter trucks. Some hubs have mechanics that work on everything including the parcel trucks.
There is a trailer side. Those guys do bodywork, too because semi trailers get banged up. Engine wise it's rare if I do anything other than valve adjustments. Tool wise under contract I'm required to furnish all of my tools except for impact tools larger than 1/2" drive and any saw blades, cutting wheels and drill bits. The tool allowance for the last contract was $250. I have to maintain a written inventory of my tools and provide them a copy incase of theft, damage or loss.

One sucky aspect is I need to maintain a CDL and am subject to random drug test. A Mustang GT wouldn't be a wise choice for me nor would smoking weed or getting a DUI.

Pay wise, I don't make much more than other mechanics, some might make more than me. Benefit wise its fantastic. I do pay union dues which is 2.5 hours a months. I pay $0 for health insurance.

Some people think the union protects lazy people-not at UPS.

I think the best thing that can happen to @AutoMechanic is to find a decent woman and buy a house someday.

I have no desire to join the military. Not something that interests me. I would prefer to stay a private citizen. Too many things to go on in the military.

OK, just wondering.

I know a company paying $25 an hour for apprentices, $30 an hour after six months but the guy only hires military Reservists and Guard.

Lots of opportunities on the service side of the business.

Wow, that's wild. Our police chief makes $224,000, and this is a city of 110,000.
No joke I think our population is 50k. We are a suburb of Phila. but I don't think there is much crime here, seriously. It would be curious to see if next year the salary shows up as 300 as I had thought it was. That would mean he exercised some sort of payout last year. Or, he just plain makes more than a radiologist!

When I left my shop, I was making ~$45/hr plus benefits. Our labor rate was something like $145/hr. I felt extremely underpaid. ASE certified, I was the main diagnostic tech, and I regularly handled tasks around the shop that were in no way my responsibility.

In the 45 days since I left, they've had to cut the quick-lube from first come first serve to appointment only, started closing an hour earlier, and from what I hear they're looking to hire a FOURTH technician because my replacement isn't working out and the other two techs can't keep up.

This is the company that barely gave me a goodbye after 13 years. It's a thankless profession.
I put almost 11 years in at my last co. When I left, all they gave me was a set of Cross pens from BJ's Warehouse! :ROFLMAO:

Back