Auto Technician Compensation

This is just an example. I will say that I regularly see job postings at a similar pay range for skilled techs. However, all of the opportunities have been at “higher-end” independent shops and dealerships.

My point: those of you expecting to pay $20 labor for your oil change or $100/hr labor rates (for repairs) are probably not getting your vehicle worked on by highly-skilled technicians who are current with training. Any shop charging low labor rates is unlikely to be equipped with the proper diagnostic tools or special tools needed to repair many late-model vehicles. Skilled technicians are generally not working in shops who charge the labor rates that I often see mentioned – those shops cannot afford to pay decent wages to attract top talent!

1689707383203.jpg

Labor rates vary from area to area just as the cost of living does. What a master tech in Colorado Springs, CO makes is going to be more, perhaps significantly more, than one in Wheeling, WV.
Decent mechanics around here are prized. Shops are crying for good workers. The local Community Colleges that offer Auto Tech are impacted. DeAnza College just added EV Tech to their cirriculum.

I need a big raise but my company can’t give it. Say they aren’t in a position too is what they tell everybody. I stick around for the retirement benefits and paid time off. Yet we charge $180 per hour. Which until me and you talked about it I thought it was outrageous. When I started there in 2021 it was $120 per hour. Most Indy shop’s around here are between $60-$90. They are lucky I stay because I can go to any other place and get the same or more than what I make and not have to drive 30 miles to do so. It’s a dying field. We haven’t had any luck with new techs at all. But they also don’t pay new techs hardly anything which motivates them to leave. I won’t say directly what I make on a public forum but it’s low for the job I do. And I’m the one in the shop who everyone comes too for tools and the one that the lube techs look up too for knowledge. And I also manage the shop when the managers are out so for what I make it isn’t anything. And I’m not saying I’m entitled I just deserve more for my work ethic, my knowledge and my job. And the fact I provide tools that even the master techs don’t have.

I need a big raise but my company can’t give it. Say they aren’t in a position too is what they tell everybody. I stick around for the retirement benefits and paid time off. Yet we charge $180 per hour. Which until me and you talked about it I thought it was outrageous. When I started there in 2021 it was $120 per hour. Most Indy shop’s around here are between $60-$90. They are lucky I stay because I can go to any other place and get the same or more than what I make and not have to drive 30 miles to do so. It’s a dying field. We haven’t had any luck with new techs at all. But they also don’t pay new techs hardly anything which motivates them to leave. I won’t say directly what I make on a public forum but it’s low for the job I do. And I’m the one in the shop who everyone comes too for tools and the one that the lube techs look up too for knowledge. And I also manage the shop when the managers are out so for what I make it isn’t anything. And I’m not saying I’m entitled I just deserve more for my work ethic, my knowledge and my job. And the fact I provide tools that even the master techs don’t have.
Not that I live what I preach but you get what you negotiate, not what you deserve.

or $100/hr labor rates (for repairs) are probably not getting your vehicle worked on by highly-skilled technicians who are current with training. Any shop charging low labor rates is unlikely to be equipped with the proper diagnostic tools or special tools needed to repair many late-model vehicles.
It's not accurate to throw any dollar amount in as this absolutely varies by location. (2) shops I have used with no issues charge $80-90/hour. I actually asked in a local "car" group on FB what hourly rates range for our area and the consensus was $80-100/hour. Multiple shop owners responded too. A mechanic at a local Honda dealers replied and said they charge $159/hour. One guy that has a "specialty" shop charges $115/hour.

History repeating itself, it was not that long ago that employers were telling everybody that they could not afford to give raises, so the more talented left for better pay and the ones that couldn't because of age or lack of experience were stuck with more work. The company could not hire replacements because they either had to pay more which meant raises for everyone working there or no one with the qualifications would even apply. Everybody was making a small fortune in OT but were getting burnt out at the same time. Then the company puts a lid on the OT so the work does not get done and customers start leaving in droves. Thats when I retired,

My area isn't economically depressed, but I don't think many passenger car techs are guaranteed $60/hr? Some guys make that and more on a nice gravy week of jobs at the dealerships I'm sure. I get the impression a dealership is the best gig going for someone fast and efficient, other than maybe a specialty shop?

I try to use to South Main Auto type garages, with the owner being there for 20+ years and a couple guys working on normal cars, with low overhead, building paid for 20 years ago. A slightly grungy waiting room is fine and no complimentary coffee is fine, I'll go for a bike or a walk...
For sure I wouldn't take my Porsche track car there(if I had one), but I don't think my cars need $200+/hr shops working on them.... I'm going for KISS and just good mechanics, not guys that could/should be working in aviation...

It's not accurate to throw any dollar amount in as this absolutely varies by location. (2) shops I have used with no issues charge $80-90/hour. I actually asked in a local "car" group on FB what hourly rates range for our area and the consensus was $80-100/hour. Multiple shop owners responded too. A mechanic at a local Honda dealers replied and said they charge $159/hour. One guy that has a "specialty" shop charges $115/hour.
The local Ford dealer in the greater Salt Lake City area charges $250.00/ hour.

a local Honda dealers replied and said they charge $159/hour
This is speculation on my part (not the amount above), but all but one of the local Honda dealers is part of a corporation that owns many other dealer shops. One does Honda, Mazda, and Hyundai (same location - I could be wrong but I'd guess they charge similar hourly rates (and pay their techs similarly no matter what brand is on your shirt). Another is much, much bigger (the "White" auto group). Without looking it up, I couldn't list all of the brands they own. At one location, it's Honda and Chevrolet, while at another it's VW, Audi, Porsche, and Jaguar. If I were to guess, I'd say the Euro-centric shop charges more per hour.

Last edited:

If you're not making at least $45 per billed hour (assuming flat rate) you need to be talking to somebody. Typically techs (not apprentices) earn about 30% of the hourly rate. We pay ours more than that.

Not that I live what I preach but you get what you negotiate, not what you deserve.
Bingo - AutoMechanic could move to Richmond and make $45/hour - because I am starting to think there is not one single decent mechanic in this God forbidden city of 1 million people.

Automechanic - go to the head guy at the company and tell him you got an offer that is WAY higher than what you are making now. Tell him all of the things that you really like about your current job and then shut up. Let him figure out how to compensate you correctly. If you are of great value to the company they will find a way to make it work.

In a rural area or small/mid sized town you will probably find good techs at cheaper shops. Chances are they aren't paid very well for the work they do.

Sometimes you just have to pay the bills and don't want to move away from friends and family. I know I've been in that situation before.

Automechanic - go to the head guy at the company and tell him you got an offer that is WAY higher than what you are making now. Tell him all of the things that you really like about your current job and then shut up. Let him figure out how to compensate you correctly. If you are of great value to the company they will find a way to make it work.
You left out the part about what to do if the head guy tells him to take the offer 😂

I’m hourly. I’m making way under that.
I presume Jimmy converted that to USD but if not, in CAD that equates to around $34/hour.

Dealership technician wages were averaging about $25 per hour back in 1999. I don't know what it is now.

I’m hourly. I’m making way under that.

Realistically what should you be making with your skill set ?
20% , 30% , 40% more ?

Which certifications do you currently have ?

” I need a big raise but my company can’t give it. Say they aren’t in a position too is what they tell everybody. I stick around for the retirement benefits and paid time off. Yet we charge $180 per hour. Which until me and you talked about it I thought it was outrageous. When I started there in 2021 it was $120 per hour. Most Indy shop’s around here are between $60-$90. They are lucky I stay because I can go to any other place and get the same or more than what I make and not have to drive 30 miles to do so. It’s a dying field. We haven’t had any luck with new techs at all. But they also don’t pay new techs hardly anything which motivates them to leave. I won’t say directly what I make on a public forum but it’s low for the job I do. And I’m the one in the shop who everyone comes to for tools and the one that the lube techs look up too for knowledge. And I also manage the shop when the managers are out so for what I make it isn’t anything. And I’m not saying I’m entitled I just deserve more for my work ethic, my knowledge and my job. And the fact I provide tools that even the master techs don’t have. “

Time to look for another job.

Last edited:
Back