Auto Technician Compensation

Is AutoMechanic dead set on being an auto mechanic or he might consider another career field ?

Theres other career fields that pay well.
Yes only auto mechanic or parts salesman. Wouldn’t consider anything else unless it was playing professional baseball which you can’t just go and apply for so that’s off the table.

I think Auto Mechanic will be a good profession going forward - there are so few good ones. You just need to find the right place to work.

Get the right credentials and the certifications or whatever is required now and write your own ticket later. 30 years ago when I worked at a small dealer the guy that they wouldn't mess with was the guy that was certified to fix or rebuild all the GM automatic transmissions. I am guessing that guy in the future will be the one that understands motors, drives, batteries and control loops. Just a hunch.

Is it true that the service writer at most dealerships gets a percentage commission on all the parts and labor he or she writes up ?
If this is true, it encourages up selling, over selling or outright unnecessary repairs.
Where do you think those lists of "recommended work" comes from when someone has their oil changed at a dealer (or high-volume shop) ? Notice they always recommend the same thing and things that are hard to notice ? Fuel system/intake cleaning, wheel alignment, replace brake pads/rotors, worn-out ball joints (or other suspension bits), etc..... People have been told they need new brakes when another shop just replaced them a month ago ! I used to think the mechanic came up with these lists of repairs but I think it's just the service writer.

Excellent point about government-- can be a level of inflexibility. However post-'20 perhaps less so. And obviously each state and even each local supervisor is different.

I've simply never seen my local CDOT stick a giant sign on the highway that they're hiring mechanics. It screams of the desperation of most employers since '20

At the very least something like this could be an excellent stepping stone for someone like @AutoMechanic to increase his resume, gain some experience and get some references. But in my experience a lot of people stay in these county or state level jobs because the pay is acceptable and the benefits tend to be very good.

Finally, inflexibility can flow both ways: more often county/state jobs are set hours. Your supervisor would never dream of asking you to stay late or come in on a weekend....and if they do, guaranteed OT. Obviously there are exceptions if you're "on call" but this is spelled out ahead of time.

I dunno but I don't see AutoMechanic going far in his current job. They'll always treat him as they do because they can get away with it. And if there was ever an employee's market, it's NOW! Everyone is desperate for someone who can spell their own name. If you actually show up every day that's like icing on the cake.
I have friends in local county fleet jobs similar to me. If it weren’t for seniority, I’d go to them in a heartbeat. I’m federal government. The local county guys have way better pay, and slightly better benefits than I do. Now that i have a family I can’t go elsewhere and have zero seniority…that’d mean night shift / un-preferable location etc. I’ve already done my time on nights and made lead tech, now I just ride it out.

Reactions: D60
Tough business to be in, always has been, always will be.

Right now you do have some leverage, with everyone wondering where the techs have gone, but that won’t last long. And they’ll never give you decent benefits - a lot of places it’s two sick days a year and two weeks vacation. Lousy health insurance and no retirement plan.

I’ve never seen an industry ask so much of an employee, and give so little. You have to know electronics, mechanics, hydraulics, air conditioning, welding. You have to diagnose, and be fast at it. You have to be GREAT with your hand skills. You work around deadly chemicals all day long. You have to be strong, healthy and ready to work hard all day. No breaks. Go fast. Hustle. I think it’s the hardest trade out there, if you can do it you can anything. IMO

Right now you do have some leverage, with everyone wondering where the techs have gone, but that won’t last long. And they’ll never give you decent benefits - a lot of places it’s two sick days a year and two weeks vacation. Lousy health insurance and no retirement plan.

I’ve never seen an industry ask so much of an employee, and give so little. You have to know electronics, mechanics, hydraulics, air conditioning, welding. You have to diagnose, and be fast at it. You have to be GREAT with your hand skills. You work around deadly chemicals all day long. You have to be strong, healthy and ready to work hard all day. No breaks. Go fast. Hustle. I think it’s the hardest trade out there, if you can do it you can anything. IMO
You nailed it! Excellent post!

I have friends in local county fleet jobs similar to me. If it weren’t for seniority, I’d go to them in a heartbeat. I’m federal government.

I thought the Feds outsourced pretty much every blue-collar job, turning them all into contract positions. Thought it happened in the 80s.

I need a big raise but my company can’t give it. Say they aren’t in a position too is what they tell everybody. I stick around for the retirement benefits and paid time off. Yet we charge $180 per hour. Which until me and you talked about it I thought it was outrageous. When I started there in 2021 it was $120 per hour. Most Indy shop’s around here are between $60-$90. They are lucky I stay because I can go to any other place and get the same or more than what I make and not have to drive 30 miles to do so. It’s a dying field. We haven’t had any luck with new techs at all. But they also don’t pay new techs hardly anything which motivates them to leave. I won’t say directly what I make on a public forum but it’s low for the job I do. And I’m the one in the shop who everyone comes too for tools and the one that the lube techs look up too for knowledge. And I also manage the shop when the managers are out so for what I make it isn’t anything. And I’m not saying I’m entitled I just deserve more for my work ethic, my knowledge and my job. And the fact I provide tools that even the master techs don’t have.
Point blank, you need to leave and get yourself out of there. Do not ask for another raise, find another job. This place is never going to treat you right, and for the first time in 25 years techs actually have some leverage. Places are actually paying. There’s a big shortage, you can go somewhere else and make more. A lot more.

It sounds like you are a valuable employee, go increase your value somewhere else. When you are underpaid as much as you say you are, there’s no way for you to ever make up the money you’re losing. Start over, go somewhere else. Take your time, find the right job, give your two weeks, no hard feelings, leave on good terms. And move on. Just my opinion.

I thought the Feds outsourced pretty much every blue-collar job, turning them all into contract positions. Thought it happened in the 80s.
Depends on which part of the feds you’re talking about. There still many federal blue-collar jobs across the country.

I can't add on automotive tech employment options, but will give strong advise against providing advanced notice of leaving. I took what I thought was the high road by providing advance notices of 4 to 8 weeks on several long term jobs. Two state, one fed and one private sector jobs. Paid for my decency with blood (figuratively). No employer anywhere deserves more than a 14 day max notice. That's enough time to beat on you.

I agree, and you forgot you've gotta provide at least $30k of your own tools at today's prices.

I figure a $10k box and $20k in quality hand tools and diagnostic equipment, and that's conservative. Could easily quadruple that to reach master tech status.

Plus every year you need updates for things that never used to exist: TPMS, electric parking brakes, now EV'S etc

I agree, and you forgot you've gotta provide at least $30k of your own tools at today's prices.

I figure a $10k box and $20k in quality hand tools and diagnostic equipment, and that's conservative. Could easily quadruple that to reach master tech status.

Plus every year you need updates for things that never used to exist: TPMS, electric parking brakes, now EV'S etc
And have you ever seen an industry that evolves quite like this one? As soon as you learn something it’s obsolete and the new thing comes out. And you have to learn it all over again.

And have you ever seen an industry that evolves quite like this one? As soon as you learn something it’s obsolete and the new thing comes out. And you have to learn it all over again.
I agree. All industries progress and things change, but the auto industry is moving particularly quickly these days and has been for awhile.

I also can't help but feel like OEM's change things solely to spite independent repair shops, too. I may be paranoid on that one but it sometimes seems they enjoy introducing new or proprietary features or software just to make non-dealer shops play catch-up.

I'm all for innovation and the free market, but they ultimately HURT their customers if they make moves which deliberately cause auto repair to be more expensive or difficult to access.

I'm talking about the parts within, say, 50 miles of DC.
There’s three open HVAC apprentice jobs in DC and a lead automotive technician job. I believe all require the ability to acquire a top secret security clearance. Which will eliminate 90% of the candidates. These jobs can’t be outsourced, that’s why they’re still readily available across the country. It’ll take probably a year and a half to fill these positions.

I agree. All industries progress and things change, but the auto industry is moving particularly quickly these days and has been for awhile.

I also can't help but feel like OEM's change things solely to spite independent repair shops, too. I may be paranoid on that one but it sometimes seems they enjoy introducing new or proprietary features or software just to make non-dealer shops play catch-up.

I'm all for innovation and the free market, but they ultimately HURT their customers if they make moves which deliberately cause auto repair to be more expensive or difficult to access.
Agree 100%!!

There’s three open HVAC apprentice jobs in DC and a lead automotive technician job. I believe all require the ability to acquire a top secret security clearance. Which will eliminate 90% of the candidates. These jobs can’t be outsourced, that’s why they’re still readily available across the country. It’ll take probably a year and a half to fill these positions.

Years ago I heard that just having top secret clearance in the DC area was worth at least $80K a year. Ought to be higher now. What do these jobs pay?

I need a big raise but my company can’t give it. Say they aren’t in a position too is what they tell everybody. I stick around for the retirement benefits and paid time off. Yet we charge $180 per hour. Which until me and you talked about it I thought it was outrageous. When I started there in 2021 it was $120 per hour. Most Indy shop’s around here are between $60-$90. They are lucky I stay because I can go to any other place and get the same or more than what I make and not have to drive 30 miles to do so. It’s a dying field. We haven’t had any luck with new techs at all. But they also don’t pay new techs hardly anything which motivates them to leave. I won’t say directly what I make on a public forum but it’s low for the job I do. And I’m the one in the shop who everyone comes to for tools and the one that the lube techs look up too for knowledge. And I also manage the shop when the managers are out so for what I make it isn’t anything. And I’m not saying I’m entitled I just deserve more for my work ethic, my knowledge and my job. And the fact I provide tools that even the master techs don’t have.

The best lesson to learn while you’re still young is to never let anyone tell you what you’re worth.
Let’s see here, they say they’re not in a position to give you a raise?
1. They can’t keep new techs because of pay
2. The other techs use your tools.
3. You drive quite a distance to and from work.
4. You fill in for management when they’re absent.
5. I suppose you train the lube techs since you say that they look to you for knowledge.
6. You’re obviously dedicated to your employer because you show up and do your job (plus many others) day in and day out.
Well, just imagine what would happen the minute you told them that you weren’t in a position to be as dedicated at all of the above while they pay you so little. 🤔
As someone else mentioned in this thread, the best time to look for a job is while you have one. You’re young,…never let anyone tell you what you’re worth my friend, only you know what that is. Master your craft and become invaluable.

Cheers buddy! 😉🍻

Years ago I heard that just having top secret clearance in the DC area was worth at least $80K a year. Ought to be higher now. What do these jobs pay?
I’m not sure, not that great. It depends on what part of the country, DC you‘d think would be higher because of cost of living. A lot of government blue collar jobs fall under WG (wage grade), which is lower than the GS scale.

Back