Are you a big New Year's Eve person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to a British New Year's Eve party. In upstate NY. They celebrate New Year's Eve based upon when it happens in London. So home at a decent hour. I don't drink and wife will have one or two. I'll have my diet Pepsi as usual.

I used to stay up all night with friends partying, now I have kids. I will probably stay up with my oldest and have a couple beers then be to bed right after midnight.

This will be my first NYE in my new house in the country, but not too far from the big city. So I will pop out of the house and listen to what goes on.

Dyusik said, "Now, I'm more fortunate financially and completely broke morally and of family values."

Would you like to talk about this? And what does, "...and of family values" mean?

Don't drink, and I am oncall for work this week. We will see if some drunk hits a pole and I have to go in. Overall I dont get the big deal about new years, but I like it because on new years day if you go to stores or other places the crowds are way down.

I think overall its just another excuse for people to drink and party. But im just an introverted person I guess. All I want is peace and quiet.

Last edited:
I try to stay up to watch Ryan Seacrest and the Big Ball dropping in Time Square at midnight on TV.
I feel sorry for hundreds of thousands that will freeze their butts-off there, despite being liquored-up. It's supposed to be in single-digits temperature-wise and performers like Mariah Carey in skimpy outfits, should be fun to watch.

No lip-synching this time Mariah!

Couldn't get me out on the street for $$, especially Sunday night. I think I'll put a jigger of Jack Daniels with some Coke and watch the ball fall and say goodbye to 2017. Been doing that for years.

I used to be, but I don't think I've stayed up twice in the last 10 years to see the new year roll in...

I stay home, with all the gunfire going off it sounds like a big gun battle.
39.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
I stay home, with all the gunfire going off it sounds like a big gun battle.
39.gif

When I was living in a very large city where it was illegal to shoot within city limits, you would here gunfire for about an hour around midnight, some of which was automatic!! It would sound like a war zone, lol. Now that we live where you could legally go out and shoot you dont hear any celebratory gunfire, you do hear hunters and target shooters in the day at times.

I used to really look forwards to new years because that when Menard used to start their 11 percent off bag sale. They still do that sale at other times now so its not as "special"

I swore I wasn't going to stay up, but got sucked into a TV show. Oops. Otherwise--no, not a big night for me. Just like every other day of the year. 'cept I have to keep erasing the year for about a month whenever I write it down.

I'm currently in south Florida (where it was in the high 40's this morning... brrr....but still much warmer than NY).
I heard a lot of what I think was gunshots around midnight NYE....which is a new phenomenon for me.
It got me wondering...what happens when someone shoots their 9mm up in the air??...where does that bullet land?...I'm totally pro 2nd amendment but this sounds like a DUMB practice.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I'm currently in south Florida (where it was in the high 40's this morning... brrr....but still much warmer than NY).
I heard a lot of what I think was gunshots around midnight NYE....which is a new phenomenon for me.
It got me wondering...what happens when someone shoots their 9mm up in the air??...where does that bullet land?...I'm totally pro 2nd amendment but this sounds like a DUMB practice.

'cuz it is dumb practice. What goes up must come down and all.

I recall reading though that bullets go up, stop, and pretty much come down in the same orientation (barring wind effects). Being backwards, and with nothing other than gravity to accelerate them, they fall back down at a pretty lazy velocity. Nothing I want to get hit by, but something like 300fps, something lazy like that. [Was it Hatcher that did a bunch of experiments years ago? I think he went as far as to load bullets backwards, and indeed they fell at a higher speed. I recall him testing using pine boards and measuring the dents.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back