Are there "boutique" oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Amsoil & Royal Purple filters are made by Donaldson.
Where did you get that info? Last I knew, from information here, was that Royal Purple filters were made by Champion Laboratories, now called FRAM Filtration.

Or am I confusing RP with K&N?

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Amsoil & Royal Purple filters are made by Donaldson.
Where did you get that info? Last I knew, from information here, was that Royal Purple filters were made by Champion Laboratories, now called FRAM Filtration.

Or am I confusing RP with K&N?

yeah I'm pretty sure RP is made by Champ not Donaldson

Originally Posted By: kschachn
So if there is a filter for sale at a relatively low price point, manufactured by a major filter manufacturer and has excellent published ISO filtration numbers then what would you get by spending more? Or on the other side, what if you use an OEM filter with supposed low filtration efficiency for over 375,000 miles (such as I have done in my old Sienna), what would be gained from using these boutique filters?

One might come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what oil filter you use, or at least that there is no advantage to something that costs a lot of money.

BTW, there are no boutique oil filters that do x or y better on paper than one you can buy just about anywhere. Other filters might get you better testimonials, a cool can color or a flashier website, but the whole "on paper" part is going to be missing.

One could come to the conclusion it doesn't matter, but based on the data proffered it would be a mere guess either way.

Simply attaining high mileage tells us little, Ive seen lots of half million mile engines that "ran great" according to the owners but were gross polluters, and others were tight as a drum.

We have no information on how "tight" your engine is at 375K we don't know if said low efficiency OEM filters and change intervals did a good job or if you would have benefitted from " boutique" or simply higher efficiency aftermarket filters (amsoil, ultra etc...).

Without a leak down, or a series of smog checks that measured emissions over time we just don't have enough info to know if the OEM solution and OCI intervals worked well or not.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back