Are There Any "Fully Synthetic" Engine Oils...

that don't contain Group III oil? Every "fully synthetic" SDS I've looked at contains a significant amount of what I presume to be Group III oil. For instance, the SDS for Mobil 1 ESP 0W30 has as its main component "DISTILLATES, HEAVY, C18-50 - BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR." My presumption, and I may be wrong, is that these are distillates obtained from petroleum and are thus Group III. The same oil has up to 10% "1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED" which is a PAO.

Thoughts?

The C18-50 is GTL oil made from natural gas. This would be called group III+

Most synthetics contain a significant quantity of group III as they can be made cheaper and sold at a competitive price point.

I don’t think you should avoid group III if it’s part of a balanced formula.

A German oil that has Vollsynthetisches on the label should be lower % group III.

Ravenol
Redline
Amsoil Signature Series
Rowe

valvoline premium blue restore is all group IV and V. $80+ a gallon. Order from Cummins dealer.

Penrite 10-Tenths, it’s 100% PAO and Ester. I’ve used it a bit myself.

D1CEB06B-C8A7-4D0F-B1C8-63CAEA465E35.jpg

Yes, I did also think of the Nulon race oils that are Group IV Poly Alpha Olefin (PAO) and Group V Alkylated Naphthalene (AN).
I like their old school steel containers too.

A324BDD5-8884-4BDA-9DB1-F6056E94782D.jpeg

The C18-50 is GTL oil made from natural gas. This would be called group III+

Most synthetics contain a significant quantity of group III as they can be made cheaper and sold at a competitive price point.

I don’t think you should avoid group III if it’s part of a balanced formula.

A German oil that has Vollsynthetisches on the label should be lower % group III.

Ravenol
Redline
Amsoil Signature Series
Rowe

valvoline premium blue restore is all group IV and V. $80+ a gallon. Order from Cummins dealer.

The listed base oils amount to 45% maximum, in case of ESP 0W30. The other half would very likely be regular group 3 oil.

Thoughts?
In the racing and turbocharged world, properly chosen Mobil 1 products, despite the fact that they seem to be mostly Group III, continue to perform as expected. With no turbocharger coking, no ring sticking and no heat related deposits under the pistons. M1, 15W-50 can be used with confidence in extremely high performance applications.

DON'T forget Redline lubes!! they added lower cost fake synthetics but still blend some of the best REAL synthetics IMO

M1, 15W-50 can be used with confidence in extremely high performance applications.
🤨‼️

VII infected third rate oil they know can't even pass A3\B4. this may be the worst oil in the entire M1 product line, FS 5W50 wipes the floor with it.

Last edited:
Penrite 10-Tenths, it’s 100% PAO and Ester. I’ve used it a bit myself.

View attachment 66157
This is the first SDS I've seen that doesn't contain distillates. Therefore, it is a pure synthetic oil.

Since they don't provide an SDS, there is no way to tell if there's any Group III in that mixture.
If it’s German doesn’t it have to be synthetic to be labeled synthetic? I know nothing, just what I’ve seen in random posts.

Back