Any synthetic blend for my 2017 Elantra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: flinter
ndfergy,

Thanks for the screen shot of the manual! I was thinking about using a 5W-30, like Pennzoil Gold, but if I switch to 5W-30 in place of 5W-20, will I notice a slightly lower fuel economy? I ask because I see the manual suggests 5W-20 for better fuel economy, but is the difference really even noticeable?

Thanks!

Frankly you won't notice a pint of difference in a tank full the MPG CAFE gain is EPA Bovine Excrement.

Hyundai's come from the factory with a Quakerstate fill in them, that's why it's recommended.
I have had Elantra's, Santa Fe's, and now a Tuscon...
They all have gotten Motorcraft 5w-20 semi-synthetic (except Tuscon is 5w-30 due to turbo),from Walmart with an OEM oil filter every 5k miles (rotate tires same time) and have NEVER had any engine issues..
There is no reason to run a full synthetic and they have a 10 yr 100k mile powertrain warranty on them!

Last edited:
oil film movies!

Interesting, thanks! I probably will just stick with 5W-20, mostly likely Motorcraft's Synthetic Blend. I do know about the slight mileage benefit from LLR tires. Unfortunately, my 2017 Elantra SE Value Edition, came with OEM Kumho Solus TA13, which are mediocre at best and I plan to upgrade to a LRR tire. Also, since my placed suggested tire PSI is already 36, increasing to 38PSI is just a tad too harsh a ride for my liking!

rossn2,

What?? You say Hyundai's come from factory with Quakerstate, than you say they all have Motorcraft 5W-20??

Last edited:
I said the factory fill is Quakerstate, but I use MC Semi-synthetic red jug from Walmart, either the 5w-20 or 5w-30 (Tuscon with Turbo)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ndfergy
Congrats on your new car. Hyundai has come along way since its Pony, Stellar days to the point where I would have no reservations buying one. The Elantra is a big seller up here.

Out of curiosity I pulled a pdf of your owners manual. Very refreshing. Their oil recommendations gives you latitude on what to choose depending on the temperature, market, and availability. Given that, if you wish to be at, and as close to compliance with both certification entities (API/ACEA) concurrently, then a SN/GF-5 5W-30 would be the best choice; re: HTHS.

Although I'm dubious on the efficacy of a synthetic over a conventional oil for your application - non-performance, MPI, and short OCI - the cost is not as prohibitive where you are as here so why not if it gives you that extra peace of mind.

Happy Motoring.

4.23 quarts? Why cant they just make it 4, 4.5 or 5? I always thought it was annoying this random numbers for capacity.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Congrats on your new car. Hyundai has come along way since its Pony, Stellar days to the point where I would have no reservations buying one. The Elantra is a big seller up here.

Out of curiosity I pulled a pdf of your owners manual. Very refreshing. Their oil recommendations gives you latitude on what to choose depending on the temperature, market, and availability. Given that, if you wish to be at, and as close to compliance with both certification entities (API/ACEA) concurrently, then a SN/GF-5 5W-30 would be the best choice; re: HTHS.

Although I'm dubious on the efficacy of a synthetic over a conventional oil for your application - non-performance, MPI, and short OCI - the cost is not as prohibitive where you are as here so why not if it gives you that extra peace of mind.

Happy Motoring.

4.23 quarts? Why cant they just make it 4, 4.5 or 5? I always thought it was annoying this random numbers for capacity.

LOL well you really expect some lowly engineer who's making a 100K plus a year with the computing CAD/CAM they have to hit it on the gnat's whatya call it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

Changing oil in my Elantra twice 4 quarts put it at full mark. Dealership overfilled my first oil change. I bet their oil gun was set to 4.23 quarts.

Changing oil in my Elantra twice 4 quarts put it at full mark. Dealership overfilled my first oil change. I bet their oil gun was set to 4.23 quarts.

Same here, 4 quarts puts in right at full mark, I dont know what the manual is showing 4.23 qts?!

I assume 4.23 quarts is what it holds. Some oil stays in the motor even though I drained it hot, level, and until nothing was coming out of the oil pan.

My devious mind thinks it Hyundai's way of adding the magical .20 quarts that was the fix for the Theta II motors that passed the motor replacement test. They will save giving Elantra owners a new dipstick.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: flinter
ndfergy,

Thanks for the screen shot of the manual! I was thinking about using a 5W-30, like Pennzoil Gold, but if I switch to 5W-30 in place of 5W-20, will I notice a slightly lower fuel economy? I ask because I see the manual suggests 5W-20 for better fuel economy, but is the difference really even noticeable?

Thanks!

The difference is negligible. When you look at the GF-5 Sequence VID table below the improvement target is around 0.5% between the two. In real world driving there are too many factors that influence your mileage. In summer conditions my range is typically between 530 to 550 km's per tank from full to warning light.

Believe it or not the US is not the centre of the universe
wink.gif

The metric equivalent is not fractional.

Believe it or not the US is not the centre of the universe
wink.gif

The metric equivalent is not fractional.

You are right. It takes 4 liters. Which in real world experience is going to cause people to overfill it if you follow that guideline. It is not a perfect world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back