Any synthetic blend for my 2017 Elantra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i NEVER seen a rule about how much "synthetic" usually group III is required to be legally labeled as such + seeing a full "synthetic' group III is not much more i call it a no-brainer!! girlfriends 13 Malibu 2.5L LS was drinking the semi-syn dexos I 5-20 but a switch to 10-30 Mobil I cured that. a 10W is good enough in PA when its group III prolly samo in NJ. a look at Noack #'s show the 10-30 a lot BETTER!!

Hi benjy,

Probably more than just switching to Synthetic (or in conjunction with), the drop in consumption could also be attributed to an increase in viscosity. Either way, both are good oils.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: PimTac
You can use any major brand of oil that meets the specs for your car and do well. They all have a blend.

This^^^

...and any quality oil filter will work just fine.
+1

So far I have FF, 5w-20 Valvoline Premium Conventional, PPlatinum 5w-30, and PUltra Platinum all with OEM filer. My favorites so far were both Pennzoil products.

You may want to read my thread on my next oil change for my Elantra:

Help Me Pick My Next Oil Change

If you are severe service I think I would stay with 3,750 intervals and not 5,000 miles. I am going to use Fram Ultra filters and OEM which is not a problem. Not following proper intervals may be a problem if you need to use warranty. If I would not have oil on hand I would just buy synthetic. Not much difference in cost after rebate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flinter
Isnt Dexos1 designed for GM cars?? Why would I want that in my ELantra?
Good question. And frequently asked. Answer: dexos1 is a higher performing standard (more tougher tests) than solely SN GF-5 oil. They run European engines, Japanese engines, GM engines, and I think some Ford engines in the various pile of SN, GF-5, dexos1 tests altogether. Plus, their elastomer (seals) compatibility tests are expanded compared to SN, so they go with any engine you'll see.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: PimTac
You can use any major brand of oil that meets the specs for your car and do well. They all have a blend.

This^^^

...and any quality oil filter will work just fine.

+2

You guys and your abbreviations are killing me! Whats "FF" and whats "CS" oil?? Sorry, I dont use this forum a lot and dont know the lingo.

You guys and your abbreviations are killing me! Whats "FF" and whats "CS" oil?? Sorry, I dont use this forum a lot and dont know the lingo.

There's a sticky at the top of this forum with all of the commonly used abbreviations.

Last edited:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2605508/Acronyms_used_at_BITOG,_make_m#Post2605508
a "sticky"???

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2605508/Acronyms_used_at_BITOG,_make_m#Post2605508

FF - factory fill, what the car came with from the factory
CS - Chevron Supreme
SS - Semisynthetic or synblend oil
FS - Full synthetic
OEM - original equipment manufacturer or The Factory
DI - Direct Injection
LSPI - low speed preignition
GTX - a great conventional oil that is now semisynthetic in UltraClean version

Congrats on your new car. Hyundai has come along way since its Pony, Stellar days to the point where I would have no reservations buying one. The Elantra is a big seller up here.

Out of curiosity I pulled a pdf of your owners manual. Very refreshing. Their oil recommendations gives you latitude on what to choose depending on the temperature, market, and availability. Given that, if you wish to be at, and as close to compliance with both certification entities (API/ACEA) concurrently, then a SN/GF-5 5W-30 would be the best choice; re: HTHS.

Although I'm dubious on the efficacy of a synthetic over a conventional oil for your application - non-performance, MPI, and short OCI - the cost is not as prohibitive where you are as here so why not if it gives you that extra peace of mind.

Happy Motoring.

ndfergy, Looks like Hyundai is playing a joke on us. We could take the third column as an "OR" condition though.
Notice Quaker is recommended, yet Quaker doesn't have A5 products.
Only Valvoline Synpower and Pennz Plat has it.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
ndfergy, Looks like Hyundai is playing a joke on us. We could take the third column as an "OR" condition though.
Notice Quaker is recommended, yet Quaker doesn't have A5 products.
Only Valvoline Synpower and Pennz Plat has it.

Also gotta love "or above" as seen in that third column.

Originally Posted By: Ram02
Pennzoil gold 5w30 and you'll be fine

Agreed. PGold would work just fine too.

But as a whole, at least Hyundai doesn't try to handcuff owners to one or two viscosity grades or one API, ILSAC or ACEA approval regardless of the silly Quaker State recommendation next to A5.

ndfergy,

Thanks for the screen shot of the manual! I was thinking about using a 5W-30, like Pennzoil Gold, but if I switch to 5W-30 in place of 5W-20, will I notice a slightly lower fuel economy? I ask because I see the manual suggests 5W-20 for better fuel economy, but is the difference really even noticeable?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The fuel economy hit is there, but only about 1% or so. Physics says thicker oil creates more drag inside the engine, so its there. Just not much between a 20 and a 30 weight.
If you want to pay less for gasoline, then do 3 things:
--- Use a 0w20 oil over a 5w30: 1.5% gain....
--- Put on LRR tires: 2% gain......
--- Add 2 psi to your placard tire pressure: 1% gain....
Sum Total: 3.5% less gasoline used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back