Any Rotor Foundries in U.S.??

Kiriu is just up the road in Bowling Green,KY. They aren't a foundry thou, they buy rough castings from the foundry mentioned earlier in the thread. Many of our operators came from Kiriu.

Arvin-Meritor in Carrollton, KY used to make rotors and probably still do. Been at least 10 years since I have been in the plant. Not sure who they supplied but most was OEM.

I wish the US-made rotors were available in the aftermarket like on Rock Auto. But so far, only Advics rotors for some Japanese cars where they are the OE supplier are sold this way
cry.gif

Originally Posted by LEADED
Brembo is an Italian corporation , the Plant in Homer Michigan is gearing to start Casting instead of importing blanks .

For the last several years the Brembo rotors I've bought for my Saabs have been made in China. Have not had any problems with them.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I wish the US-made rotors were available in the aftermarket like on Rock Auto. But so far, only Advics rotors for some Japanese cars where they are the OE supplier are sold this way
cry.gif

You need to buy a Jeep Patriot for that privilege.
33.gif
Knock on wood, but my 2014 (4/2013) has been very low cost of ownership these first 90K miles. The Dundee, Mi built GEMA engine is very simple and reliable, but unremarkable in performance. The Hyundai 6F24 6 speed tranny is pretty solid. I took a lot of grief for this purchase, but (again, knock on wood) it has been a very pleasant ownership experience so far. It suits my country lifestyle and minimalist lifestyle, which is not typical of most people. I replaced my front brakes the first time around 85K with EBC Ulitmax II pads and EBC plain rotors for $90 total. I will report back in a few years if they were a good choice. There is controversy regarding the COO of EBC rotors these days.

Thanks, everyone, for enlightening me on the existence of U.S. foundries still making rotors.

In the mean time, I still get annoyed every time my son-in-law parks his POS Hellcat next to my Patiot, LOL:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if there are any actual foundries left in the U.S. that manufacture rotors from scratch. Or, is the example below cast in China and the "blank" is machined in the U.S.? What exactly is a blank? Thank you.

This MOPAR rotor states "Made in U.S.A." on the OEM sticker:

The FTC has rules about this and they are pretty strict about it. Considering this part is from a large, well-known company and they're claiming "made in USA" and my understanding of the rules for parts like this and how they're made, I will say with confidence that the casting is made in the US and it's machined in the US. One of the rules comes down to how much of the cost of an item and where it's from. With a brake rotor, the casting constitutes ALL of the material as well as the labor to produce it. On the machining side, there's effectively no material cost, only labor. Both have costs like shipping, etc so those are a wash.

Back