Cheap rotor factory ‐‐ terrifying

D60

I apologize if this has been posted. I searched and didn't see it.

This is presumably a factory in India. I see so many problems here:

- Not sure how they maintain concentricity with 3-jaw chucks.

-They seem to just flip the rotor to face it, not sure how they keep both sides parallel. (I've tried this, it does NOT work)

-No eye protection turning cast iron

-The bolt pattern is drilled with a jig on a drill press!

-The poor paint guy's gonna die from paint in his lungs

-The tool posts on the lathes are ancient. You'd expect better from a true manufacturing facility

-I saw no cross-hatching applied, so I wonder if we even get this tier of parts here??? I'm hoping not....

edit: I also never see thickness checked, but perhaps it was edited. In a shop like that I wouldn't trust any precision measuring instrument, though

@Zee09

Oh and anyone think metallurgy may be a bit questionable??

AND if you're gonna turn that much cast, you get a LH tool, flip it upside down, adjust tool height accordingly, and turn your spindle in reverse. THEN you spray chips INTO your chip tray rather than your eyes!!

But truly this should all be done in an enclosed machining center.....

This is saddening on so many levels just like the oil filter video and others. Most Indian machine tools are boat anchors. I ordered a lathe direct in the 90s and I paid extra for German bearings. When it got here I had to tear it down to get it to work.

I truly emphasize with the workers though... When will India invent desks and chairs. Of course China just perfected the ballpoint pen...(really)

Even Henry Ford way back when was well advanced compared to this.

Yeah, I'm torn on the ergonomic thing. Having an ex-wife who was into yoga, I think there's some validity to sitting cross-legged to work. It keeps your legs/hips flexible and actually your lower back flexible. Think about how many Americans would struggle to sit cross-legged on the floor today -- I'm one of them!!! It's very uncomfortable for me and my knees are miles off the floor.

Also not trying to be inappropriate but squatty potties actually are good for the digestive process. And a good thing to be able to do when camping!! Point being squatting like the paint guy isn't necessarily bad.

But the overall safety of the place is virtually non-existent. And again, NONE of this should be done on manual machines anymore.

I see some of the workers have been assigned safety sandals.
Years ago when I was working in a machine shop a guy showed up for a job interview (applying to work in the shop) in sandals. Immediate NO. People are so stupid. I only showed up for interviews with pants and steel toes. I carry a pair of clear eyes in every glove box and put them on when walking into any shop.

Another rule of etiquette in ANY machine shop is NEVER touch anything unless you are invited to or it is handed to you.

Looks half decent really when its done though. I don't know what that's for but if your just going 45mph max trundling around in your 25 year old, 82hp diesel delivery truck in India, a bit of pedal pulsation isn't an issue...
That's the thing - it looks like a rotor, but does it work as a rotor? I have to imagine vibration, wobble, pedal pulsing etc are common, like 60%+ of the parts. And fit is questionable.

I apologize if this has been posted. I searched and didn't see it.

This is presumably a factory in India. I see so many problems here:

- Not sure how they maintain concentricity with 3-jaw chucks.

-They seem to just flip the rotor to face it, not sure how they keep both sides parallel. (I've tried this, it does NOT work)

-No eye protection turning cast iron

-The bolt pattern is drilled with a jig on a drill press!

-The poor paint guy's gonna die from paint in his lungs

-The tool posts on the lathes are ancient. You'd expect better from a true manufacturing facility

-I saw no cross-hatching applied, so I wonder if we even get this tier of parts here??? I'm hoping not....

edit: I also never see thickness checked, but perhaps it was edited. In a shop like that I wouldn't trust any precision measuring instrument, though

@Zee09

AT 7:18 how do they center the blank over the rotor?

Back