Cheap rotor factory ‐‐ terrifying

AT 7:18 how do they center the blank over the rotor?
It's gotta have a shoulder that drops into the rotor center bore.

But it doesn't seem to me they're critical about that center bore diameter, so I'm thinking the bolt pattern isn't that concentric. Plus their method of dropping in a keeper pin after drilling the first hole doesn't make for a super accurate bolt pattern unless that pin is a tight slip fit.

This could allow the rotor to spin, well, eccentric once actually mounted on a vehicle.

I'm really curious if these work on anything above, say, 40mph.

I'm more shocked at the amount of psychical labour that when into that rotor. The fact that these are cheap rotors just goes to show how cheap the labour must be! Wow!

I'm shocked and appalled. All this time I was under the impression they were made in clean and sanitary machine shop rooms, with adequate ventilation and all the proper safety equipment . I guess if any of those parts made from recycled refrigerators and bed springs were to fail, there would be no sense on trying to sue anyone. All you might get is a skinny goat.,,

It's gotta have a shoulder that drops into the rotor center bore.

But it doesn't seem to me they're critical about that center bore diameter, so I'm thinking the bolt pattern isn't that concentric. Plus their method of dropping in a keeper pin after drilling the first hole doesn't make for a super accurate bolt pattern unless that pin is a tight slip fit.

This could allow the rotor to spin, well, eccentric once actually mounted on a vehicle.

I'm really curious if these work on anything above, say, 40mph.
I noticed that the center bore isn't perfectly round earlier in the video. I wonder if that would have an impact as well.

I'm shocked and appalled. All this time I was under the impression they were made in clean and sanitary machine shop rooms, with adequate ventilation and all the proper safety equipment . I guess if any of those parts made from recycled refrigerators and bed springs were to fail, there would be no sense on trying to sue anyone. All you might get is a skinny goat.,,
I'm not necessarily a fan of Oh S*** Haul Ass (aka OSHA) but these guys have no protections and guaranteed no recourse if hurt on the job.

The prison uniforms are a nice touch.

1710876293723.jpg

A lot of people who evidently don't understand what third world means. India, Pakistan, etc - these guys are making parts to keep trucks from the '40s, '50s, and '60s on the road. When you're dirt poor, you don't hop on Amazon and order a new set of brake drums for your 1957 Leyland, you cobble together whatever you can make work, and brakes that are out of round definitely beat no brakes at all.

when you live like they do they are happy to be able to get parts. any parts. a rotor thats out of round a little wont hurt anything as long as the sides are paralell. might be rotors for inner city taxi cabs that never go iver 30 mph?

i never did understand the lack of tables and chairs along with sandals though .

when you live like they do they are happy to be able to get parts. any parts. a rotor thats out of round a little wont hurt anything as long as the sides are paralell. might be rotors for inner city taxi cabs that never go iver 30 mph?

i never did understand the lack of tables and chairs along with sandals though .
Exactly, I don't think the sides are parallel. There's a reason brake lathes turn both faces at once......

I guess like you guys say they're for low-speed, low-dollar applications and drivers probably think pedal pulsation is just normal.

Exactly, I don't think the sides are parallel. There's a reason brake lathes turn both faces at once......

I guess like you guys say they're for low-speed, low-dollar applications and drivers probably think pedal pulsation is just normal.
Given the general condition of those trucks, I doubt whether you could actually even feel pedal pulsation over everything else. There are videos of those guys rebuilding entire truck frames with nothing but hand tools and basic machines. It's impressive to watch in a car crash sort of way, and, hey, they keep the stuff running to do what they need it to.

Reactions: D60
they do with what they have and what they can. we look at them with 1st world eyes at a 3rd world country.

• Haha
as long as you chuck it up straight you can cut only 1 side at a time. ive done it. works fine. the lathe centers its self as long as theres no rust or dirt on the hat.
I've done it too, with horrible results. Then I understood why brake lathes cut both together.

You possess magic sauce I do not!

A friend of mine flew for Delta for 40 yrs. He flew the largest jets over the long routes. He got bored after he retired. Air India had purchased a number of Boeing's large new airliner and didn't have anybody to fly them so they advertised in the US. Great pay and it was supposed to be 2 weeks on and two weeks off to go home. Well that turned into a month and more. Mostly American pilots and they flew India to London and NYC. Their infrastructure was so primitive. He sent us pics and explanations. The HQ was a Quonset Hut and everything was done by pencil in large ledgers by women. The man scheduler had a 3ft wide schedule ledger that he did in pencil because guys were always trading flights. Not a computer in sight.

• Wow

Maybe $2M US for one of these plus installation, setup, maintenance, and a building for it? And a guy to program it, and you aren't going to fix it with a big hammer or make parts for it in the corner of the shop... It doesn't even look much faster really, with painfully slow transfers between steps.
I know which discs I'd like to use, but if I was getting paid indian wages, then maybe indian brakes are good enough....

• Love
Back