Any Buick fans in the Board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 73 LeSabre I used to drive back and forth from DC, where I was stationed at the time, to PA. What a great highway car!

ViciousSix, nice Ttype! I was born in Waynesville and was there in early October when I rode the Dragon, Cherohala skyway and a few more choice western N.C. rides for a few days. We rented a cabin in Topton on Wayah Road. I have a cousin who lives in the Hazelwood area. Anyhow I had a 1987 GN but regrettably sold it about 10 years ago. Typical mods, Hooker cat back, big injectors, race fuel pump etc. I have a friend who bought GNX # 318 new and still owns it though it's rarely driven. I noticed a couple of months ago the right rear wheel had been curbed. It hurt to look at it...ouch!

I had an early '70s Regal 2 door coupe with a 350 V8.

I bought it about 10 years old for $3500. Drove it for 2 years and sold it to my nephew who really needed a car for $1500. He drove it for several years during which he put 100,000 miles on it. During that time he only had to replace one power steeing hose. And he still won't tell me how much he got for it.

It served us well.

For a long time now I've wanted to take a 2nd gen Skylark and do a restoration on it. Gut it and modernize all the powertrain, suspension and braking components. Such a beautiful shape, they're becoming more unique by the day.

I wish I had a Buick like the OP, I am a sucker for the GN.

I needed a reliable full sized 6 seater car that gets great fuel economy and arrived at the 2005 Buick LeSabre in my stable. It is just reaching the 300,000kms (187,500 mile) mark with original everything (except wear items: tires, brakes oil, coolant etc.) but I did have to put a ($60) shift kit into it but other than that zero problems. At 90kph (55 mph) it cruises at 1550 rpm and at that speed it gets ~6 L/100km (~39mpg) so quiet and smooth it makes a great effortless highway traveler.

My parents had a 72/73 Buick Skylark with the 350, I now have a 2017 Buick Regal GS, love it.
cheers3.gif

my 79 Bonnieville with 350 buick, egr blocked, second snorkle added to the air cleaner with cold air induction, no cat, big tube muffler, big tailpipe one size bigger primary needles, secondary rods on raised hanger, distributer recurve, magnecore wires, bigger coil on the HEI, .060 plug gap would get honest 21 MPG at 55, would get 12-15 pulling the bass boat depending on wind. Had to carry some instead of lead gold for when I got low octane gas, otherwise ran on regular.

Rod

Last edited:
Yes I had a 1974 Buick Regal 2-door with a 455 cu. in. 4-barrel. I loved that car especially when getting onto the freeway near college. That maneuver would actually cause the fuel gauge to noticeably drop.

There was some sort of defect in the paint on the hood which caused it to prematurely peel and rust. The upside was I could park it anywhere and no one ever wanted to steal it. After college I sold it to my girlfriend's little brother who subsequently decided it looked better with no wheel covers and lime green steel wheels. That was the last time I ever saw it.

When I was dating that girl the car wouldn't start when it rained. I didn't know enough at the time that the problem was only a crack in the coil, but to compensate I used to get up every two hours throughout the night and drive it around the block several times to make sure it would start the next day when I had a date. Fun times.

[Linked Image]

While not entirely a Buick, Buick did a lot of work on improving the noise levels and overall comfort. I suppose i am a buick fan even though i'm not on social security yet.

I have a soft spot for a Buick
My father was a Buick man !!!!
1965 Wildcat
1967 Skylark
1972 Centurion (455) !!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘
1976 Regal

I Wish GM never went to corporate engines

Let Buick Pontiac Oldsmobile and Cadillac build their own stuff !ðŸ‘

I've owed a '77 2-door LeSabre with a built 455/TH400, And a 1939 Buick Special Eight.
I got a few pics of the '39, I wanted to do a "Pro-Touring" treatment to it (LSx/T56/C6 suspension etc)......But the wife wouldn't let me cut up such a clean/original survivor! So it got to collect dust in someone else's garage!

Takes about 8 hours to swap radiator out! And....Yes, That's polished Lacquer paint! I might have some interior pics on a thumb drive somewhere?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What do you mean … endless foreign companies manufactured in the USA for many years !
How about they are all international companies and move on …

Right … but buyers have changed and more complaints about the touch screens instead of engines
(that and tires take 50% of the owners manual, PM on 4 pages)

Don't like anything GM (including Buick) that's new enough to have FWD. Their RWD SUVs and S10 aren't so great either, but I could tolerate a 1500 pickup truck or suburban if older, nearly free. Then again it still comes back to how you maintain it, but I always thought their FWD cars had horrible handling and ride characteristics.

Last edited:
I used to make fun of them as an old person's car, but now I really like and respect them. I see the old people driving gold Toyotas.

Now that is a real beaut.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I've owed a '77 2-door LeSabre with a built 455/TH400, And a 1939 Buick Special Eight.
I got a few pics of the '39, I wanted to do a "Pro-Touring" treatment to it (LSx/T56/C6 suspension etc)......But the wife wouldn't let me cut up such a clean/original survivor! So it got to collect dust in someone else's garage!

Takes about 8 hours to swap radiator out! And....Yes, That's polished Lacquer paint! I might have some interior pics on a thumb drive somewhere?

My wife had a 1984 Skylark T Type when we got married; by that time GM had worked out most of the kinks in the X Body. It was a surprisingly nice car. We traded it for a Merkur Scorpio- the only time I ever regretted swapping a domestic car for a European car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back